• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 10, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hank, I'm patient, how about if I wait until your "logistical cluster" passes and just mail you my copy to sign with return postage included? I'd hate to add to that "logistical cluster". Thanks! Hmmm, I just noticed that there's a "hank" in "thanks" :eek:)

Kraig -- as they say in LA, I am totally down wid dat dude.

Hank, is there a time line with these drawings so we can place the details?

The illustration was done in Nov of 1961. these were ideas on how to restyle the original to look "better" but not much else.

The drawing would be early '63, once advanced engineering finally started to go on the project...once they figured out the frame piece to make room for the shaft-drive mower.

Hank,
Yes, thanks for the pics. IH design aesthetic has always struck me as being sort of "form follows function." As the tractor design progressed through the years, the grilles and general body parts, i.e. the engine comtainment and the foot rest/rear fenders became more stylized. The originals seem pretty plane jane compared to, say, a 1250. Have any of your contacts mused that IH was responding to the design of other tractor companies by "sex-ing" up the CC look? Were design changes due to some sort of marketing pressure or am I reading too much into these pictures? It's obvious from your pics that A LOT OF TIME went into the general look of the product. More so it seems as time went on.

Gov:
We just had the McCormick Tribune host a bash here at the museum. My staff had to move some displays from Cantigny to FM which called out Robert's personal history. Apparently, he was a Colonel in the army and fought at Cantigny France, hence the renaming of the McCormick estate. The story goes that he was "so moved" by the sacrifice of the men who fought for him in WW1 that he guaranteed jobs at the Tribune to many soldiers for their service after the war.

I don't recall any mention of Cyrus in the text panels. I didn't put the two (Cyrus and Robert)together until you mentioned it. Interesting. I suspect Robert could not have made his generous offer without the financial clout of the McCormick empire (that gave birth to the Tribune).

All this from the invention of a reaper. . .

All,
Will a K321 fit into my 124? I was looking at photos of my friends 147 and for one dark moment I thought to switch out my K301 with his K321. Course, that wouldn't be right.

Hank -

Good, I'll stick with Hank then. Besides, Oscar has always been (to me, anyway):

a) a certain Grouch
b) my bologna's first name
c) my first siamese's name (see a)

lol.gif

Methinks I'll be like Kraig and mail my book as well
wink.gif

Attachments

• wink.gif
    wink.gif
    880 bytes · Views: 130
  • lol.gif
    lol.gif
    158 bytes · Views: 124
Ray, the frame is not wide enough for the larger flywheel. The 147 has a flare in the frame for the flywheel.

31351.jpg

Attachments

• 31351.jpg
    31351.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 31351.jpg
    31351.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 132
Kraig,
Thanks for the pic.
So, if I break out the torch and rebuild the frame, will the holes/bolts that hold the motor to the frame line up?

Hank,

This may be an obvious question, but did I see an article by you, with drawings/sketches of some larger IH tractors in Red Power Magazine?

Ray, I believe the answer is yes. Wyatt Compton has done this to a 1x2 frame.

Ray, here are some photos of the 147 frame flare.

31353.jpg

31354.jpg

31355.jpg

31356.jpg

31357.jpg

Attachments

• 31353.jpg
    31353.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 31354.jpg
    31354.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 130
  • 31355.jpg
    31355.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 31356.jpg
    31356.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 31357.jpg
    31357.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 140
  • 31353.jpg
    31353.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 31354.jpg
    31354.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 140
  • 31355.jpg
    31355.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 31356.jpg
    31356.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 31357.jpg
    31357.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 122
DIGGER:
You will do...Thanks for the pic...I just got to it. I wil bet you meant 1200, since you remember I saw the 1250 with the ported hydro on friday...
and I believe it was you that said it was an option.

Now, does the Electric lift fit in 90 degrees different from the lift on a narrow frame such as my 126 & 147? The mounting flange and the flange with the pin make it appear that this would be the case.

Since I have never seen one, I am guessing this was a rare option...

RAY:

I would suggest that you get one of the guys to give you some measurements...I would, but my 2 147's are at the farm 45 miles away.

I have a frame that somebody did this to and the motor mount holes are the same. The flywheel was larger and the shroud accordingly so, so the need for the notch.

(Message edited by fmorski on October 11, 2005)

Kraig,
Thanks for the pics. <font size="+2">MORE POWER ARRR ARRRR ARRRRRR</font>

Frank,
<font size="-2">those 147's wouldn't happen to be in Solitt, Il, would they?</font>

Ray, happy to help, those are some pictures that Wyatt took long ago.

Can someone tell me the proper torque for the 4 bolts that connect the Hydro trans to the rear end of a 782D? I can't figure it out from the shop manual.

I was looking at the production report to find out when my tractor was built, and is sasy that the last 782 serial number was 694248. After that IH Cub Cadet production ended and then was sold to Cub Cadet. My serial number is 729319. Does that mean my tractor is a Cub Cadet and not an IH? I am confused by that. It is a 782D.

Takin a break from writing captions for the Wheel Horse story pics.

Ray -- all that I have been told is that the Marketing dept. had alot ot do with some of the changes. What really got the ball going with the 70/100 was the idea of putting a shaft-driven mower under it. And while guys from Industrial design were drawing style changes for the Original, the narrow-frame design came by accident from the shaft-drive mower concept. But when they pitched it finally, it was approved because it would kill a few birds at the same time -- but not end up withthe shaft drive mower due to expense. Later redesigns were based on marketing wishing for modern looks, to "hilight" relatively minor changes in safety or other features, and accomodating larger engines yadda yadda. The funny thing about Harvester is that Marketing had alot of power and caused several products to be rushed into production at great loss financially and with regard to reputation. For example the big Caterpillar Killer TD30 often lost its rear end within hours of being put to work. But the TD-30 was just the last huge problem in a list that often included rear end failure.

Tom -- yes I am the guy does the little piece on Keith Burnham and his design art in Red Power Mag.

Nate -- all diesel-powered Cub Cadets were built by Cub Cadet Corp.

TD-30??? Never heard of that one...always though the TD-24 had that reputation (and the early 560's for that matter....IH lost a lot of market share with the 560 rear end issues)

Under Edit:

Well a quick Yahoo search shows that I need to read up on my IHC Crawlers more........Hank, when is the book on those due out?????
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

(Message edited by sblunier on October 11, 2005)

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 122
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 129
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 129
Steve -- after the TD-24 I am amazed that the TD-30 could have possibly happened.

Christmas 2006

(Message edited by owill on October 11, 2005)

Latest posts

Back