• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 05, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
Denny,

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

ART - I didn't think ANYONE ever read My posts about FARMALL?!?!<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

I read them as well. I think you should start a thread in the sandbox on your adventures at IH and just add to it daily, kind of like a blog/memoir...<font face="arial,helvetica"></font>

Sounds good to me, also... I enjoy someone else's reminisce's - much better than the work stories I could tell (except the time one of the cops that shared the building with us rolled a cherry bomb into the can, thinking it was his buddy - I couldn't hear for a day.. scared the heck out of me, too)
clappy.gif

Bent parts -or- How in the heck did that happen?

I Split my 147 and I'm thinking that it's gonna take a long time to get it back together! I've ordered many parts at the sponsors above. I can't help but keep watching the driveway, looking for the UPS man even though I ordered the parts only last Friday.

The Neutral return rod (14 in this picture) that I have is bent. Is this normal ?
help.gif
It doesn't look bent in the parts diagram.

170209.jpg

170210.jpg
}

With all the talk about balance gears lately, I started thinking about my 149. 3 1/2 years ago my son started mowing our lawn, 1st time mowing that year. The 149 started squealing very badly, I first thought it was a belt, but upon examining we decided it was something inside the motor. Fast forward to yesterday, here is what I found.
The Oil pan.
170214.jpg

The rest of this gear.
170215.jpg

No more balance gears inside this 14hp! I took the rest of the broken gear out, then used the hammer and chisel method and easily removed the upper balance gear.

I might have it back together and possibly plow with it in Montrose, MN this Saturday!

KRAIG - They have a saved thread over at RPM's forum on the IHC Topics where We were talking about IH back during the Archie McCardell days of IHC. Guess I didn't realize how close We ALL were to getting sent home at Noon because IH couldn't borrow enough money to pay us till 4:30.

KENDELL - Been a few people who write articles for RPM who have twisted my arm to write articles for the magazine. Hmmmm They both wrote books about Cub Cadets.
I met Todd Markle @ RPRU this summer. Couple more of their writers I'd like to meet too.

VINCE - I'd say You dodged a BULLET there. The oil pickup finger would have broken if it had hit that biggest piece of gear.

Been a lot of car engines that used balance gears or shafts, even 3020-G engines had balance shafts. Funny because 3010's didn't.

Paul,
While my 129 is a wideframe, and the 127 isn't, I suspect the rod should be straight, as is the case on my 129. Someone may have neglected to lubricate the Hydro linkage and had to force the rod once or a few times. If this is the case, I would straighten it out the best I could, perhaps heating it with a torch to make it easier and safer for the rod.

Paul, I agree with Bruce, that rod should be straight. I also second his recommendations. Not that that's worth much.
jester.gif

Thanks Bruce and Kraig, I'll get the torch warmed up and see what I can do.

One more question, this time about the two check valves on the top of the hydrostatic unit.

When the buttons/plungers on the valves are pressed, they do not pop back up. I can tap on the valve and they pop up enough to grab with thin pliers. Are the springs suppose to push the button/plunger back up? There is no hytran in the rear end right now. Maybe when everything is back together and running, the pressure inside will push them up.

I have read cub faq #55 about rebuilding the valve, but it only indicates repair/replacement if forward or reverse doesn't work.

This 147 has sat for 2 years due to the wiring being shot. Buying the new wiring harness has gotten me inside the engine and poking at the transmission !

Denny, Would you like me to delete that?

Paul, I believe the buttons will pop back up once you start the Kohler up and they are pressurized, unless they are REALLY stuck down.

Paul Van Benschoten,
Maybe when everything is back together and running, the pressure inside will push them up.

This is correct. (without the maybe)

Ryan W here is info from my engines 128 S#2050045u470xxx k301a eng. spec# 47446d eng S#5094921
1200 S#2050580u591xxx only eng info is #7445452

129 S#2050046u514xxx k301a eng spec#47446d eng S#6134935

108 S#2050043u474xxx k241a eng spec# 46657d eng S#5156818

all are fact yellow except the 1200 it is black
hope this helps and maybe we should start a thread in the sandbox for this info?? also none of these are duel tube

KRAIG - No, I'll copy & paste some posts from RPM there that I've made. Vince T. posted there also. Anyone has any questions about the old IHC I'll try to answer them. I worked at FARMALL the most, worked at the East Moline Plant for six weeks, visited the West Pullman plant once when I was driving, picked up at Melrose Park many times, delivered castings to IH Libertyville, also delivered to the West Chicago Parts warehouse and the Hinsdale Engineering center, saw the Canton plow plant once on a fall foliage tour, and have been by their ductile iron foundry in Waukesha several times. Plus when I was working in mat'l scheduling I handled the "Inter-works desk" for 3-4 months so talked to people at most of the IH plants.

I even got a PM from someone on RPM a week ago about using some of my posts in an IHCC chapter news letter.

A bit of a mystery hopefully solved on the 129. Last week, while testing it out after doing the hydro lift conversion and a quick freshening up of the engine, the engine would suddenly go into a misfire mode. All was well when I was putting it through its paces cutting a strip of 2 week old grass, when the engine suddenly went into a misfire mode. I backed off and the engine would run smoothly. I limped it back to the garage and ran the carb jets in and out a couple of times, and it seemed to smooth out.

Cutting the grass last night I had a repeat performance. Again, some carb fiddlin seemed to straighten things out, but I decided to investigate a charging system problem, as the voltage was only running about 12.4 volts or so. I spent the next couple of hours fiddling with the voltage regulator, and it seemed like I was chasing my tail, it would either be like it wasn't charging, or it was reading almost 17 volts when I briefly ran the engine to check the results of adjustments. I decided to called it a night and resolved to pull the regulator off of the old 102 and put it in the 129 today, after putting brakes on the Accord.

I took care of business with the Accord, then went to work on the 129. The old 102 regulator went onto the 129, and it registered 13.2 volts right out of the box, close enough for me. Mowing the rest of the lawn went smoothly, I think I have both the regulator and the misfire issues under control now, but I would like to try to repair the old regulator if I can. I also am having a problem with the throttle control slipping on me, I've only noticed it since doing the lift conversion. Well, always something to do to these tractors it seems!
1a_scratchhead.gif

Dennis F. and Kraig M. I would like to thank BOTH of you. Kraig for suggesting Dennis write of his experience at IH and Dennis for doing so.

(There never seems to be enough time to work on the Cub Cadets. I didn't get near done what I wanted to yesterday.)

I can't say that I worked for IH but, have lots-o-hours workin' with 'em. I enjoy talking about the ol' girls too. Wouldn't the IH Cub Cadet "Larger Relitives" cover this?? I'd be a steady reader.

Dennis: If I have a vote (check the sandbox) listen to Kraiq (I did that on purpose) and run with it.
angel.gif

Latest posts

Back