• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 01, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the incorrect post. the point is moot anyway he wants way more than I want to pay for a 2nd tractor. I'll stick with my 71. However the 7 hp engine seems a bit tired and smokes quite a bit. It does start easy and seems to run smooth. It has power enough to pull my large
moon.gif
all over the yard. the question I am pondering is : If I re-ring it this winter would it be strong enough to run a tiller or pull a dirt plow?
31070.jpg

Attachments

• 31070.jpg
    31070.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 141
  • moon.gif
    moon.gif
    8.9 KB · Views: 145
  • 31070.jpg
    31070.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 143
  • moon.gif
    moon.gif
    8.9 KB · Views: 150
Thanks Charlie and Kraig - THe QA42 will be running this winter, slip plated and with new shoes. It was 88 here in S.WI yesterday, I suppose that means it'll be 30 below and 90inches of snow this winter!

Lynn F,
We can only HOPE for the 90", I'm ready for a good ole fashioned winter with FEET of snow instead if inches!

KRAIG - When I get My Northern Catalog those big Honda's always catch My attention. It'll either be that or a Kohler.
ED HALL - I rebuilt a K-181 (8 HP) but almost identicle to Your K-161 in Your 71 a year ago. Actually, You may be surprised when You open up Your engine that it too may be a K-181. IH used them as replacement shortblock engines over 30 yrs ago. Normally the exhaust valve, connecting rod, and rings need to be replaced. Whether You replace the piston depends on the bore wear. My bore looked fine considering the use the engine had so it was honed a thousandth or two of an inch and stock piston reused. Take Your engine apart before You buy parts unless You know Your going to replace many other things anyhow.

Charlie, Lynn, Oh yeah, bring on the snow! I'm ready for an "old fashioned" winter too. My birthday is in early November I'd like nothing more than a Wisconsin snowstorm for my birthday. One kinda like the Halloween snowstorm of 1991 would do nicely. :eek:)

Denny, that's a 24hp version in the photo I posted which is what I would go with. I believe the Onan in the 982 and the Onan CCKB in the AC620 were rated at 19.9hp but I believe that they are actually well over 20hp. I think it was that at the time (1973 for the AC620) a tractor rated at over 20hp required an ROPS.

Kraig,
Yea, 5 or 10 good snows like this one would be OK by me!
31072.jpg

Attachments

• 31072.jpg
    31072.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 143
  • 31072.jpg
    31072.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 154
Snow??? We just got done chopping sileage!!!! Hopefully start beans if the rain holds off :-(

We got the beans done yesterday, Corn will be done by friday noon.
beerchug.gif

Attachments

• beerchug.gif
    beerchug.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 146
  • beerchug.gif
    beerchug.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 147
In Reply to Kraig regarding the Simplicity 9024. I cant imagine that you would want to sell it. I used 2 extensively on a farm years ago when I was working my way through school. Hands down the finest mowing tractor I have ever used. I found them especially excellent on SEVERE hillsides- those tractors would climb a tree! The Onan engine was a weak spot. The 2 we had began burning oil badly at 500 hours, and the magnets on the stators came loose about the same time. A Honda engine would well worth the trouble! Sorry to ramble, but the post brought back some good memories.

Ed Hall,
Concensus from posts in the past would suggest that for tilling you should put a creeper on the 71. In first gear you'll still be going to fast for the tiller to do it's work properly. As far as pushing and pulling dirt, maybe <font size="+2">Denny</font> can speak to that. I still need to get my Original going. I'd like to put a tiller on the back of it and see what it does.

Gov:
Tomorrow is hunky dory. I'll e-mail you.

Craig H., don't worry, I'll most likely keep my AC620 as I can't afford to replace it. I don't have a mid mount mower for it but I do have a 60" CAT-0 John Deere model 260 rear finish mower for it that works great (it's built like a tank so I use it like a brush mower!). I just repaired the loader with help from my good friend Art. BTW, the hour meter reads somewhere around 1700 hours, but I bought it used in 2000 so I don't know for sure how many hours are on the Onan.

Thanks for the link.

(Message edited by kmcconaughey on October 04, 2005)

Kraig,
You just need 2 tractors with attachments. I run my QA42A on my 1650 about 1" off the ground to avoid the gravel. When I am done, I get out the 106 and blade and clear the remaining snow off the drive. Double the seat time that way. I also made my skids about like yours. I used 1.5" wide bar stock to help hold up the thrower.

Ed,
My 71 seems to plow just fine in 2nd gear pulling a 10" plow.
buttrock.gif

31078.jpg

Attachments

• buttrock.gif
    buttrock.gif
    439 bytes · Views: 136
  • 31078.jpg
    31078.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 151
  • 31078.jpg
    31078.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 141
  • buttrock.gif
    buttrock.gif
    439 bytes · Views: 148
RAY - I'm "Cheating"..... My #72 has a 10 HP K241 in it....soon to be a K-321. (winter project) K-241 could get freshened up & installed in the 70 Dad bought brand shiny new in about 1963 that followed Me home couple months ago.
Thing that makes the most difference in a 7 HP tractor's ability to plow, etc. is which 2nd gear it has. The slow 16-tooth speed, about 3.2 mph works very well, where the 19-T 2nd, about 3.9 mph takes a bit more HP.
KRAIG - I think the Thing with the Onan 19.9 HP was the Nebraska Tests were required on anything rated over 20 engine HP. I know My manuals show an IHC skid-steer loader using a larger displacement version of the same engine, 60 cid instead of 42.

Denny,
Well, ya learn something new every day, at least I do.
confused.gif

Was there a year when IH switched from a 16t to a 19t gear, or, did the tractors with 10 and 12 horses get the 19t and the 7's get the 16t?

Attachments

• confused.gif
    confused.gif
    473 bytes · Views: 153
  • confused.gif
    confused.gif
    473 bytes · Views: 142
Nice job on restoring the 169. I see it has a manual lift. I thought 149's and 169's came with hydraulic lift as standard. I've seen at least two other 169's on eBay with manual lift and two with hydraulic lift. Does anyone know if the manual lift was a factory option on the 169's or have these been converted? I can't imagine why somebody would want to convert to manual lift. Any insight from the experts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Back