Archive through November 30, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwalker

displayname
Joe Walker
GL, not sure the MM but I'm going to check the timing, mix and what the top end rpm's are. I got this non running (busted rod) and it looked like it had overheated when it broke (paint cooked off above the muffler. Family from Pulaski
happy.gif

True Craig, but the guys in the west seem to have the best deals on used Cubs, not here to far to go
dunno.gif

Hey G.L. You and Joe are not the only ones from Virginia on here. I'm not too far from you and ride through your neck of the woods when ever I get the chance. You guys up north can keep the snow, it was great being able to ride my Harley .... uh I mean my Cub to work to day with out having to wear a jacket.
thumbsup.gif

Good to hear from you Jeff.
G.L
Looking at the Blue Ridge Mts from near Luray.

Did all my October snow prep (blade on the 147, nothing else)last night. Looks like I'll get to my November tasks in December. Of the 3-6" forecast, it looks like we got about 2", but it's still snowing. Looks like something that can wait til this afternoon. Then I can get the tiller out of the way so Sue doesn't whack her leg on it in front of her car in the garage.

On the topic of skids - just make sure they are facing out if you've got a QA blower. My brother had them facing in and could never get the scraper bar to do any scraping. As a result, he hardly used the thing. Me, on the other hand, I'd do my own driveway and several neighbors just for fun after I got it set up properly. The only thing that ever went wrong is I hit a newspaper wrapped in one of those plastic bags once. Took me 90 minutes to dig it out it was so jammed in there. Bent one of the auger segments, too. Since then, I've kept a better eye out for that stuff. I snagged an extension cord one Christmas, too.

My Cub is starting to really try my patience.

It wouldn't run right, so I changed the plugs and fuel filter. In doing that, I casued the grommet that holds the fuel petcock to go bad, creating a fuel leak. Since it still wasn't running right, I rebuilt the carb and installed a new grommet.

So, I went to start it, and now my starter won't kick in. It just spins and spins but does not engage the motor.

I started to strip the sheetmetal to get to the starter, and for a whim tried to start the motor. The starter spun the motor (just that one time, as it won't do it anymore), and to my surprise, white smoke started puffing from the head. I have a blown head gasket.

I hope like heck it doesnt snow here anytime soon, because I cannot imagine what is next. The wife told me to buy a brand new tractor.

Does my starter need a rebuild?

Robert F., if you don't want the blade skids to scratch the drivway you could fab up something for your blade like Brian Jordan did for his snowthrower:

46310.jpg

46311.jpg

Kendell, I also have a gravel driveway. I don't clear it all the way down to gravel I drive on the first couple of snowfalls until I get a couple inch layer of hardpack that way I don't throw the gravel. The driveway does get a bit messy when it melts down in the spring or sometimes during a midwinter thaw but it's better then throwing gravel into the lawn, house, etc. BTW, nice extension cord storage reel.
roflol.gif

Craig E.,
Interesting wire information!
thumbsup.gif

Did you notice that:
1) The resistance for a "Mag wire wound" 7mm wire is less than 50% of the resistance of an 8mm wire?;
and,
2) That the resistance for 8mm wire is the same as 9mm wire?
.........That seems odd to me.

Also consider what was said in the link I posted 11-29: "Resistance can also be checked with an ordinary ohmmeter. For cables less than 25 inches in length, resistance generally should not exceed 30,000 ohms. For those over 25 inches in length, the maximum acceptable reading is 50,000 ohms."

Those values sound 'just a tad high' considering the new wire specification information you located which indicated it has <1K ohms per foot. Granted they're talking about automotive sparkplug wires, and, ok, the wires are likely ~3ft long, so say it's 3K ohms new. DANG! waiting until they're indicating 30K to 50K ohms resistance seems like a waste of energy!

Thanks again for sharing!
Ryan W
beerchug.gif

Man, did it snow!!! Here in Rockford IL we've got about 10" and it's still coming down. I spent the last hour trying to clear the 550 ft. drive with the 128 and blade, but it keeps drifting shut.
angry.gif
If it ever quits I'll have to go out again and try to open it again. The snow is so deep it's coming over the top of the blade. I hope my dad can get his Farmall B to run again, 'cause the 128 can only push so much...

Ryan: You're most welcome. I also noticed this blurb on that site regarding plug connectors: The different ohms value affects the value of resistance, as listed by the manufacturer. For example. If the Original Equipment Manufacturers calls for 5,000 ohm per connector, and the customer uses only 1,000-ohm per connector this could cause problems with the electrical components, such as ABS, AC etc. If it were the other way round, O.E.M calls for 1,000-ohms and 5,000-ohms Connectors are used this could lead to: Burning out of the rotor, because of the increased resistance. and or loss of engine power.

That begs the question - what is the connector spec for Cubs???

Steve: When you get mad enough at that 782 call me and I'll buy it. Since it's the only Cub I've got it's the only one I understand. I'd buy another if I could find one.

Finally, on the subject of snow - it has been raining - and raining HARD for 2 full days. I would LOVE to see 12" of snow. At least I can move snow...this dang rain is turning my yard into Mudville.

Steve T., Check the battery before you do anything to the starter. Low voltage can cause the starter to spin but not kick into engagement with the flywheel. This is common to starters that don't have a solenoid to engage the bendix gear.

We are well on our way to 10-12" in Central IL!!!! EVERYTHING in Peoria and surrounding area is shut down today...nobody is getting anywhere.

When it lays a bit, I'll break out the 782 and get after it (might take a few minutes to bolt on the windbreaker cab first though!!!)

Pics later...

Steve T.

782 starters are horrible performers in the winter it they are dirty. Dust from mowing, etc. gets on the bendix drive and prevents the bendix from "throwing out" all the way into the ring gear. You typically get a "clash/grind" or a "whirrrrrr" sound.

Pull the left side sheetmetal off, roll the starter out against the flywheel with a big screwdriver and then hose it down with brake cleaner and scrub it with a tooth brush. Give it a shot of "dry lube" or powdered graphite and it will work for a while longer.

After 2 years of that on my 782, I finally put a new starter on it this fall.....around $90 from DB Electrical on EPay......working great so far!!!!

Just a footnote on starters. Last year after complaining to Roland offlist that I'd battled a cranky starter for years he told me to just replace it. I'd tried to fix it and clean it and BEG it to work right but to no avail. I bought one from a reman outfit in Detroit he recommended. Works perfectly. I'm sure he remembers the name of the outfit but I don't.

OK, so I was off by a couple of inches.

I am getting ready to replace the entire fuel system on Stinky!! Started up this morning ran for a couple of minuets, then died. Restarted it, ran for a half a minuet and then died. Just cranks now!!!

New tank to Carb is coming this spring!!!! I am gettng tired of rebuilding that blasted carb to get the stupid little golden BB's out of it!! WTH are they anyway?!?!!?!?

Luck plan B (MTD 21" blow) started right up and cleared the way for work. Plan C was a shovel.
happy.gif

Tedd, if it were me, plan C would have been "Drive through snow."........

It was 6 degrees early this morning, so I thought I'd see what kind of response i got from the outside crew.
149- fired right up
1450- Growled big time but ran after some beatin on the hood and callin it a few choice names.
127- fired right up
1200-fired right up
107- fired right up
169- really growled but fired-belched-died-fired again and rattled right along.
Kraig,
Ole joe would be proud!
123-fired on the first roll over.
Got cold and said that was enough for now.
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back