Archive through November 18, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
coffee.gif
lurking.gif

X2...

Got the engine mounted in the cub frame last night, I used to 3/8 studs to replace the bolts to the rear of the front axle area... The engine kept loosening up previously, and tightening kinda felt like the threads might give up... The studs are locktited into place, and I cinched them down with knurled face nuts... Cross your fingers... This weekend, the fenders get paint, and hopefully modified to fit a large battery in... I am looking for a group 121 to fit in there. Need to go to our local Battery world Exide store to see what they have...

Richard P. That is one smart kitty. He's breaking the seat in for you.

Fancy
181322.gif

I showed Fancy the picture of the kitty on the seat. He looked at me with the expression of, "Isn't that what seats are for?.... Kitties to rest upon."

I am off to bed very shortly. I go in at 5:00 a.m. tomorrow for eight hours. We've been on ten hour shifts almost all week.

Jack will head in any direction at the speed of light when I fire a Cub up.
bubbly.gif
But loves to lay on top of them when they aren't running. I was sitting here at the computer and I heard a "thud". And in a few seconds another. The third time I got up to see WTH. There was Jack. In the seat and he was thumping the box it was sitting on with his tail. I decided it was a Kodak moment. Anyway, I put the seat on the 129. I was mostly tired of not thinking before sitting and getting a wet ... behind. I don't know how that Cub wound up with a new seat and a spring assist. Some may recall my crying about it and quitting on it at least three times. It's still is only on standby.

Well, I just told a guy That I would take his 129 off of his hands for 150 bucks.
He accepted.
I haven't got it home yet, but will in the next week or so.
The PO said he got it from a guy that completely restored it in 2001.
He told me that the motor was professionly rebuilt 2 years ago, but that the PTO blew up and took out the grill.
He decided to buy a new mower rather than put anymore money into the 129.
I have no experience with the mechanical PTOs.
What would make it come apart like that?
The rest of the tractor is pretty nice.

Brad R.,
If the engine assembler didn't "lock down" the PTO bearing collar, then the PTO clutch could come off the crank stub and decide to leave at 3600 rpms!

Ryan Wilke
dunno.gif

Marlin H. / Richard P.,

"Dogs have Masters; Cats have Staff"
It is their World, don'tcha know?
wink.gif

Scott T. -- I like your idea of installing studs instead of the engine bolts!
beerchug.gif

Dang good idea - I've wondered about those aluminum threads in the oil pan myself.

Ryan Wilke
coffee.gif

Brad: Sounds like ya done good -- don't let him get a better offer! Bless that PTO clutch and go to cubfaq.com for most, if not all, of the info you're gonna need.
IMHO, between the FAQs (which will lead you to cubfaq.com) and the SEARCH function on this site, there's not too many questions that haven't been answered. I'll bet a search for "rocket science" would turn up an answer of ït's not rocket science.
beerchug.gif

Ryan:
thumbsup_old.gif

Frank C,
I think I got the blessing today.
Yeah, I've read the FAQs, but have never heard of a mechanical PTO coming thru the grill like that.
I been on here (forum) for a while most every day and never read about that happening.

Ryan W,
I suspect something like the locking collar wasn't properly locked down. We'll see.
I just talked to the PO, He said that after the original PTO went south, his brother installed a used one. Maybe the brother didn't know what he was doing, or the used PTO was over used.
1a_scratchhead.gif

I haven't decided what purpose this tractor will fill just yet but a PTO may not be used.
I would like to have a dedicated plow tractor, and another for snow removal and one for mowing.
And while I'm at it, might as well join the ranks of those that would like one with a loader like Don Tanner's.
Sure would make life easier than just spending time taking a mower deck off to use a blade or plow then having to put the deck back on to mow.
Brad

hey all ive been thinking or running some lights on my 71 for winter, they wouldnt be permanent so i dont want to go through the hassle of wiring in a switch but if i wire them in just off the L terminal on the VR will they stay on all the time or just when the tractor is running? the lights ive got here look simaler to the ones on O's but they have a 2" piece of threaded tubing out of the bottom and the positive wire, the tube looks to be the same size a the hood bolts so i thought i could use the lights in place of the hood bolts rather than drill the casting or make a light bar, well see!

Matt Stetar
On the lights! I have given some thought as lights
on my loader and my 149 for plowing snow. So I dropped in and had a talk to a guy here that sells fire dept equipment and Police equipment (lights) and well I will buy LED lights . Low power draw and lots of light is what he told me. I think cub could benefit using them as they would not take near the power to run and the light for them is White (clear), Oh and they stand up well to vibration . so Leds will be installed on my Cubs. Just a thought lol Later Don T
old.gif

Latest posts

Back