Archive through November 18, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kide

displayname
Gerry Ide
Tom:
Probably normal - the Delco Starter Generator (aka S/G) doesn't have a lot of oomph even when new. One thing you can do is put a small magnetic block heater on the flat plate on the back of the differential to heat the tranny fluid up - at one point IH even marketed an auxiliary driveline disconnect so that the engine could turn over without turning the hydrostat pump.. Of course, this all assumes that the bearings and brushes are in good shape in your S/G and that the automatic compression release (ACR) is working properly at cranking speed (if the ACR is not working, it'll usually kick back against the starter). As many people as seem to have battery problems, I've only put two L&G batteries (Sears Diehards) in my 129 since 1985...

Kraig - you got a head start (I was out shopping with the better half)...

Anyone got dimensions for a brinly style sleeve hitch pin? Thanks,Dustin

Dustin, do you mean item #4? The 5/8" diameter pin?

97114.jpg

Hey Dustin,

I measure 5.75" on the long part and 2.5" on the short. 5/8 dia.

97119.jpg

I recived the last test results today from the doctor. News is not so good.
It would seem that I have this little thing on my brain called a Meningioma (slow growing tumor) 19.5mm long by 15.5mm wide by 5mm deep.

So after 4 months of being poked and prodded by numbers of doctors I get to look forward to it all again in 6 months.

So much for listening to my doctor, this all started when he wanted me to have a physical back in July.

Last month I find out I have a 40% loss of hearinig in my left ear and 20% in my right ear, now to only find out that I also have this tumor in my head.
Whats next?, sorry to say sir but your________ is ______ and we don't know why.

Lonnie, As long as you are takeing a breath every few seconds,,,,,,, it ain't over. you are in my prayers and i'm sure a lot of others, God bless. Rich
fence.gif

Don and Art, I finished filling the hydro today on the 149 and low and behold it didn't act up once. It ran perfectly fine. I didn't know the 149's came with a maintenance reminder that keeps the tractor from moving until you satisfy its desire for new fluid. What a machine. Thanks guys. And hey Kraig, did you put those number "7"'s on your gas tank on the O? Here I found out my O has the 8 hp Kohler. I'm not sure I'll be able to handle all them horses. I was wondering about the placement of the 7hp stickers on the gas tank. In the exact center or lower center or does it really matter???????? Thanks, Nick And Lonnie, you are in our prayers.

Lonny B., While not on the same scale as your problem(s), you're not alone! On Oct.18th midnight, I was rolled out of emergency surgery after suffering a heart attack. The next morning I was also informed I was diabetic, BAD! My numbers were so high the meter scales couldn't read them! The morning after that they told me I suffer from LOW blood pressure, in some ways it's worse for a heart attack victim to have low psi as the meds lower it some more. I am now on short term disability from work and waiting for rehab /phys.therapy and doctors for clearance (I HOPE) to return to work soon. We'll see. All I can do for now is follow DR's orders, lurk here and stay as healthy as possible. Keep your hopes up! We'll be pullin' for ya'! And remember we're a community here and watching Cubs (even someone else's) makes ya feel better! Charlie,Bryan thanks for your indulgence if this is posted in the wrong place.. cub,cub,cub...:cool:

Has anyone ever encountered this problem with the 169 driveline? The photo's are not of very good qaulity, but they show where the dowel pin has worn into the drive hub assembly?
image{driveline}
97125.jpg

image{driveline2}
image{driveline3}
97126.jpg
97127.jpg

Any thoughts on what may have caused this and how to correct.

Thanks

Reggie Woods (Rwoods) That is normal wear on my 129 . The pin is stronger and wears the slot bigger.A replacement can be bought,but i welded mine and drilled and made a new slot for the pin. Just my .02 ,. later Don T

REGGIE - Those torquy little KOHLERS tear up driveline parts with the constant hammering they give. I had a 129 that was worn twice that bad. Only fix is new or good used parts. $$$$$

Any time You beat two pcs of steel together You'll wear away at least one of them. Noprmally which ever one is softer.

Thanks guys.
I guess as long as they haven't shut the lid on the coffin and started covering it with dirt, theres still hope.

Reggie W.

As I don't own a 169, I have never had a problem with one.
HOWEVER I have had a couple of other hydro driven cubs that the drive hub looks the same as your 169's does.
There is HOPE, you can still get that hub from one or more of the sponcers at the top of this page and probly also through your nearest cub cadet dealer.

Ok,
Kendall,
I went out this eve. and used a jumper wire from the negative side of the coil to the points and nothing.
I then put in a new set of points, and still nothing.
Next, I took the coil off and cleaned the connections (again).
I looked down into the plug receptacle of the coil and noticed a screw that holds the metal connection in place. I put a screw driver to it, and tightened it about a quarter turn, hooked everything back up and got spark. I got the thing to run and ran it for a couple of minutes.
Seemed like it was not getting enough fuel so I throttled up to about half way and it hesitated, then revved up to about half throttle. I shut her off and can't get her started again. I set the points gap at .020. The carb high speed needle is turned out 3 1\4 turns, the other 2 turns out. This where I remember the Kohler manual says to set at initially. Are my settings right for my K321?
I am at a loss for what to do next, except charge my battery back up. after all the cranking tonight, it went dead.
It acts like it wants to start, but just can't do it.
BTW, Kraig has the picture of the hour meter that I was talking about.
Thanks,
Brad

Can someone link me to a previous thread on restoring the snowthrower attachment. I saw one where someone had done a really nice job on theirs and this will be the first thing I do for the 123 I just got. Winter is coming and I figure if I get the snowthrower ready it won't snow in CT

Brad:
I said"If you've got power to the coil, take a jumper wire to the negative side and make momentary contact to ground - you should get a spark every time you break the connection to ground.", not to the points.... When you're doing this test, make sure the points are open, the test duplicates the points opening and closing.... The Kohler manual gives you the starting settings for the carb. I'm just guessing something is wrong with your coil or maybe your points pushrod is hanging up??. Sorry - I'm out of ideas.......
confused.gif

Kendall,
I do have power to the coil, that is why I jumped the points. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear on that.
I'm wondering if the coil is operating erractically. Shouldn't the points be sparking every time the engine turns over? I'm not getting spark until she fires. which is about once in every 3-4 rotations. The push rod seems to be working properly.

Reggie, look at the bright side, Itr only happenes every 20-30 years. compare that to a belt every 5 years. You could run that for a long time yet. sometimes that "slot"can be 1/4 turn on the hub. It WILL hammer pretty bad by then though.

Lonny, Mike F., sorry to hear about you two having health issues. I'll be praying for you.

Nick, I've not yet put the 7hp decals on the fuel tank. That tank is slightly dented so I'm planning on cleaning up and repainting the other fuel tank that I have. I have not put the 12hp decals on Killer's tank yet either. Too cold!

Reggie, as several other's have already stated, that's normal wear. The coupler on my #1 125 was worse.

No progress on Killer tonight, I had to help my brother do some plumbing work on his basement remodel.

Good Morning Gentlemen...............
Thanks for the comments on the driveline......I think I will be able to fill-in the worn area with my mig welder. I can then go back and grind/file the area smooth. I think I can make that happen. Will report back later.
Have a good day everyone..........

Latest posts

Back