• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 11, 2003

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never having pulled a plow I don’t have a lot to add here but I am enjoying the theories and engineering behind all the plow talk. Just a suggestion here, but I know that Brinly has donated merchandise at some of these Plow Days; maybe they would be interested in supporting a little R&D and/or prototype help/information. If they come out of it with a better product it seems like it would be to their advantage…
Maybe if they were just made aware of the issues and problems that you guys are experiencing it might help all of us in the long run.
My $.02

Rich J.,
I like that idea. :+)

This morning I got to see a picture of a horse drawn walk behind plow. There was no coulter and even though they were plowing sod I noticed there wasn't that much space between the ground and where the plow attached to the doubletree. It made me wonder how the old timers dealt with excessive trash. After all they didn't have all the herbicides of today.

Rich J.
Already been in contact with Brinly last year and even talked to their RD people a couple times and they are looking at options but it takes time to re-think things as I was told. They also are looking into coulter design as well as hitch design, but they have to think more of the newer style tractors for big sales so the old stuff may or may not get looked at real soon. BTW, they sure are great folks to deal with on anything you want to talk about and even some stuff you don't. grin

Rich J/Charlie -

Of course, what we're doing with these plows is "kinda" outside the operating parameters of what they were designed for. Lawn and Garden does NOT equal 50 acres of bean stubble
lol.gif

When's the last time ya heard someone complaining of trash buildup when they've plowed under their garden?

Looks like a fun day here today!
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

...WIND ADVISORY THIS AFTERNOON AND THIS EVENING...

WEST TO NORTHWEST WINDS OF 35 TO 45 MPH...WITH GUSTS UP TO 55 MPH... WILL DEVELOP BY THIS AFTERNOON AND LAST THROUGH THIS EVENING.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Charlie -

I'll bet it does
lol.gif

Yeah, wind's coming this way too - chase this fog right outta here...

Snowthrower gearboxes -

I know there are some folks out there that have taken their stamped cover gearboxes and gone ahead and filled 'em with oil - my question is: about where did ya fill 'em to?

With the cover level horizontally, I've got mine filled to just over the end of the small gear's shaft.

Bryan......We ARE doing the R&D for Brinly at these PD's. Their Engineering staff should be out at these with monitors and data recording devices strapped on nearly every tractor. Do they realize the volumes of real world data they are missing??? We should get PAID to do this....

A good test to try is if you could heat a moldboard plow in sand ground to effect the metallurgy........

Charlie if the wind is going to blow like that every deere should be in the back of the shed { this is cub runnin weather}

A follow up to Marlin’s post about walk behind "horse drawn" plows, I recall the plow we used having a small plow like attachment mounted on the beam where later plows mounted the coulter. This would cut/turn a small furrow just ahead of the plowshare, our riding sulky plow also had one.
We plowed under corn stalks with few problems although there was nothing foolproof it’s my thought this attachment was more for sod.

BRYAN - Having plowed My Dad's & Sister-in-Law's gardens for several years WAY back when.... Only problems I remember was running over rotten tomatoes and spinning out, that was LONG before I bought the Firestones, and I wasn't running chains. For most garden residue the Brinley's do fine. I think with just a little bit of work redesigning the main beam and coulter mounting You could get one to plow chopped corn stalks. May have to disc it lightly also because of the HUGE root balls today's corn has. You could possibly ruin the tire on the land wheel.

Well dang: the disk with all my pics of plowing my garden is reporting "error".

Plowed my sweetcorn in last saturday. Ran right over the upright stalks and the plowed all the stalks in no problem. This is the Brinly that I got from Kent Schulz (and Tedd Illllllll). The coulter sliced right through the stalks. Trash was not an issue.

I'm guessing trash that causes problems is several years old. I plow every year and maybe thats why I didn't have a problem. But if plowing occurs on a no till field with years of build up, maybe that requires (as is being discussed) different or modified equipment.

Also, depth may be a variable. How deep should a furrow be? Mine are 6 inches. Should it be deeper?

Digger, they just canceled our winter weather advisory here. MAYBE a inch of snow now, not the 5 inches like they said last night.
Thats fine though, it will give me time to get my tire chain problem fixed on the 149.

Steve B,
Here are some pictures of the Allis plow. I hope they are clear enough for you to see the coulter mount.
13795.jpg

13796.jpg

13797.jpg

13798.jpg

I did have a good day off work. I got the 106 and 1650 ready for their winter chores.
13800.jpg

And if we really get a winter storm, there is the backup unit
13801.jpg

Latest posts

Back