• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 09, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don-

Yep, it's missing some of the braking apparatus (sp) but that doesn't matter because I'll go back with the older version.....it's cheaper to maintain in my opinion once you get the right parts.

Matt-

I hate the fact I have to pull a good, tight engine. It will give me the chance to clean it up some on the inside. The first thing I checked before I bought it was a mounting bolt count. It had all four. I have gotten them home and found only one bolt. Talk about shake, rattle, and roll.

Hi Everyone. I have got my CCO all tore down now and cleaning all parts up. Some parts in primer now. I have the clutch assy disassembled enough to clean it up and put in new bearings I found online. The disk material on the two clutch halfs are about 1/8"~3/16" thick. How thick are these when new? Has anyone had to have these redone? Thanks.

Wayne S - hey 129 no. 3? I always knew there was something about the 129's that made them really attractive. I've had a couple in my day and they were always hard to let go of. The more I think back it has to be something about that RED stripe. I believe it's the only hydro that ever got Red (of course it's gear-head brother 128 got red as well). Say if'n ya got 3 has one of'm got a hydraulic lift. That combination makes it really sweet. Also, I think pulling that good tight engine is really easier than trying to remove the drive shaft with the engine still in place. I know removing the engine mounting bolts is easy, and re-installing the front 2 from within the axle channel can be a finger cruncher, but once you've done a few times it gets alot easier getting them back in. I would think by now you know just how much to jack the frame up and let the axle swing slightly. And besides that, this site is really all about working "on" the tractors. The seat time is fun, but I think we all likely spend more time on our knees with tools than in the seat. It really does make the seat time all that much more fun.

Donnie T - way up north there, across the border. Glad to see you got daytime running lights on that 149. And better yet, glad to see you got rid of that stone drive and moved up to asphalt. That 450 thrower will be a dream on the asphalt.

I see Jon Stevens a message way at the bottom of the page asking a question about mouting a Haban H-42 thrower on a 582. Wish I knew something about that combination but it's just to new for me.

Hey, anybody know what ever happened to ole KENtuck? He can't still be fish'n up in Jersey. Sure miss his knowledgeable input.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die - they just keep you working and working and working - some times on'm, and sometimes with'm.

Thanks Harry

I have pulled several engines and that part is no big deal. I just hate having to do so much work just to get the tractor moving. Most everything else is in decent shape, even the paint. The only hydraulics I have are on a 1450, a 1650, and the 149 I've been working on since Moby Dick was a minnow. I do need more hydraulic tractors because of my back. My "thrifty" father could have at least gotten the electric lift on our 128 when he got it back in '73. I can remember having to use two hands to get the turning plow up and this was at the end of every row. I was younger then and very ignorant to available accessories for the cub.

Harry Bursell

(
Donnie T - way up north there, across the border. )

I live on the south shore in Lunenburg county , Nova Scotia. I`am not as far North as Frank C is up there in Maine. Most of the state of Maine would be North of me. Today the rain has stopped finally. there is a lot of damage from floods here from all the rain. I`am glad its over so I can get some seat time in today. Have a great day

Harry B

here check out this link and see where Nova Scotia is compared to you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova_Scotia

thumbsup_old.gif

WAYNE S - I'm going to agree with MATT G. - The little diecast drive cup is probably broke or severely cracked. There's really no way for the crankshaft to get buggered unless the flywheel was run loose on the shaft. I suspect the flat portion is still intact under the big hex nut & washer holding the flywheel onto the taper. The slotted drive hub held onto the cup with the four 1/4" cap screws is probably all that's holding it together. Which would cause the grass screen to wobble and rub on the blower housing.

I had a 129 for fifteen yrs. It was almost a basket case when I got it, really tired .020" O/S piston and the hood hinge, cowl, gas tank, was a disaster. But I fixed it up, made it look presentable and soon became my favorite mowing tractor with a 44A deck. I think after the 125 that the 129 may be the most popular CC made, big enough to do anything, durable, easy to keep running & work on, and was a little cheaper to buy new than a 149 or 169 and vibrated less.

FWIW: Latitude:
Mill Creek, WA 47* 51' N
Park Rapids, MN 46* 55' N
Portage Lake, ME 46* 47' N
Halifax, NS 44* 65' N
Harry, you're further North than most of us! Frost is melting off, here at 46* 47' N, so about time to pull the Cub Cadet woodsplitter out with a 123 and put up some more firewood.
bubbly.gif

I noticed the s/g belt needed to be tightened on my 129. While doing so it seemed the engine "moved" a little. When I checked the engine bolts I found 1 missing and 2 loose. I'm sure this is nothing new to the experts here, but for us new guys/gals, it is a good reminder that regular maintenance is more than checking fluid levels, air pressure, and filters.

I just put a QA 42A snow thrower on the 129 (has spring assist). I noticed the steering is a little harder with the weight on the front. Would a set of the narrow tires help or do the wide fronts help with the weight. I have two 149's and the thrower will most likely go on one of them before the snow.

Dennis
I with you on the 129's. I can't explain it but it is my favorite also.

Back