• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 06, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtanner

displayname
Donald Tanner
1a_scratchhead.gif
bash.gif

Donald T - say you might be right about the hydro fan rubbing the spring assist - I see the very edge of the fan blades are a little rough. Wonder why it's doing that. I also noticed that the fan seems to be held to the drive shaft with a nut and bolt instead of a C-clip. Wasn't aware of that for an '82 series. If it's a mod by the owner then it could also be slightly out of place and resulting in the blade rubbing the spring assist.

Harry
I think by the time the 82 series were out there was a new rt angle tiller bracket with clearance cutouts to clear frames and three point parts. That looks to be the older bracket without those cutouts.

Ok guys - snow season is coming up and I'm certain alot of you are getting your Throwers all ready and warmed up (as Joseph S has with his 1450 and QA42A). I'm wondering if any of you have made any adjustments/alternations to the small chain sprocket bracket/assembly? I discovered over time the sides of the small sprocket would cut into the "cast" mounting bracket, and eventually cut into the area housing the needle bearings. The sprocket slides side to side when the thrower is raised/lowered which pulls or pushes the sprocket into the bracket, resulting in this wear if the thrower is running. I used to install brass shims to help avoid this wear and keep the small sprocket in alignment with the large sprocket on the auger. Just wondering if anyone else has been doing this, or if anyone noticed this wear and may have addressed it with different methods, to avoid replacing their small sprocket bracket.

Jerry - what about the nut and bolt holding the fan in place? Never seen that, course I never had any '82 series either.

Harry, I too noticed that wear on my QA42 many years ago when I refurbished it. I also added shims (don't recall what they were made of) to help reduce wear. I got my 125 all ready for winter duty one day last week. I suppose I should check it to see how the shim mod is holding up...

My IH built 782 and off topic 2072 both have the nut and bolt holding the fans on.

Kraig - I'd be interested to know and see some pics of how your thrower is holding up. I seem to recall the small side of the small sprocket would be the side that cut mostly into the mount bracket. Even a steel washer larger than the diameter of the small side of the sprocket would help avoid this "cutting" effect, and probably hold up quite awhile.

Nic - that's interesting that IH went to a nut and bolt on the plastic fan. That means they had to add a hole in the driveshaft so I assume it really added to the cost versus the C-clip snap ring.

Harry- I shimmed mine as well with some large thin flat washers. I left it jus loose enough not to bind at all and greased the heck out of it. We will see how it holds up.

Kraig,

I have not had the fender deck off the 582-special, but I know the rear end is completely different as it has the 4 speed Pearless tranny in it.

Joseph S - one other thing, you should make sure you really tighten down the set screw on each end of the drive shaft. I don't know why but the set screw in the driveshaft is not set up to tighten down on the key in the shaft keyway - in fact it's opposite the keyway. This design is really reverse of recommended. I've had several throwers over my time and almost all had loose set screws on the driveshafts. Hadn't ruined the shafts but usually did ruin the key.

The 582 special became the model 1604 in 1985, and it still shows the lift assist for it, so you can be sure it will work in the 582 Special as well.
cubwinker.gif

Just a thought here.... With the 147 that I recently purhcased with a nice and strong 14 horse engine in it and so far the little we've had it running the hydro seems strong. It isn't as sharp looking as the 125 and would need 8.50 rear tires on it instead of the 10.50s on it now plus two new front tires. What would you guys do?... Should I keep the 125 or put manual lift on the 147 and keep it and sell the 125? Just kinda thinking about what to do. The 125 has one nice strong hydro and engine also. I can't keep both. Both tractors needs grill screens and the 147 would need some painting done to it.

Marlin: I would enjoy having your conundrum! In the long run I think the strong hydro would be more valuable than the the strong engine . . . but, a 147 is kind of unique with its notched narrow frame and "normal" lawn-mower-type fenders -- versus the the 125 "top-of-the-line" from the previous series, still with the same frame, but with the different tractor-type "staight" fenders.

Personally, I would be torn as well; but since I have a Model 149, my eye is drawn to the 125 with the "straight" fenders --simply more "unique" in my view; although I know the opposing thought is that the notched frame is more unique.

If I already had a 122 (and I wish I did), then I would definitely opt for the Model 147.

In the end, you (alone) have to decide, and one answer is not better than another. You can go with your "feeling."

They are both good "zig-zag" tractors, their relative value --to you-- is something only you can determine.

I doubt anybody is going to condemn you, either way you go --it really is a "toss-of-the-coin" or a twinge of the heart.

Good luck!
smile.gif

Marlin, Who says you can't keep both of them? I refuse to get rid of any of my four. Each one has a job to do. But I promise not to bring anymore home.

Marlin: I see a 1977 1650 in your profile that hasn't got a name.
1AA_dance2.gif

Don T. and I got into this discussion recently and it ain't easy! On one hand, it's hard not to buy a good deal. On the other hand, it's hard to part with one once it's "yours". Now that we've run out of hands, the question becomes "which one do I give the boot to?".
1a_violin.gif

<font color="0077aa">By Dennis Frisk (Dfrisk) on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 09:58 pm:

SON's heater should be able to heat his garage on LOW on all but the coldest days this winter. We put 4" of insulation in the walls. He hasn't got anything in the ceiling yet but may put some in. He needs to insulate his garage door, for both heating & cooling and NOISE.
</font>

Dennis,
What does your SON have on his ceiling rafters, OSB or drywall? I would bet he'd benefit greatly by adding 2" of Styrofoam or 4" of fiberglass batting on top of his ceiling. I would further guess your SON looses most of his garage heat through his ceiling rather than out the walls. Heat wants to go up...

Don't forget to allow for moisture to escape the room; otherwise on humid days stuff starts to rust...

RWilke
coffee.gif

Melody Schutz

LOL I never thought I would end up with so many cub`s. Frank and I spoke about this and well I got two O`s and I could sell one of those . the 100 and the 147 are keepers and the 149 I bought from Frank well they are staying here also.the 123 I`am going to refurb and well I still look at local adds and see some tractors for sale and think I should have another to bring the heard up to 12.
bash.gif
yikes.gif

Under edit,My shop has 10" pink stuff, I added more to my hose this fall. I must be getting old cause I sure like a warm shop.

Harry- I cranked them down real good with some red loctite on them and will keep my eye on them. Thanks for the heads up.

My 982 had a nut and bolt holding the fan on when I got it.

I replaced the shaft during the U-joint upgrade, when I did I put a spring pin in to hold the fan.

248600.jpg

In hind sight, this may have been a mistake. Upon instillation of the new shaft set up I found that the fan gets in the way of sliding the shaft up from underneath by the steering box. I had to remove the flex disks to get the shaft in position from the top then reinstall them. This was kind of a pain as there is minimal room / access to work. If I could have easily removed and re-installed the fan, I could have slid the shaft up and through, installed the fan and slid the shaft into the U-joint. If / when the shaft comes out again I think the spring pin will go and the nut and bolt will return.

Marlin - well, glad you asked so you could hear alot of opinions. In my view a "known" unit is more valuable than an unknown. It sounds like the 125 has been with you for awhile and that's the one I'd keep if I had to make a choice. I've always been partial to complete/correct units as well. When I look at a 147 with the standard electric lift, I see a heavier designed tractor than the 125. The 147 could be quite easily converted to the manual lift but that 14hp up front is alot more engine than the 12. Also, the 147 has the 10.5 rear tires. Yes you could change the tires to 8.5 and give the appearance of lighter duty, a sorta 127 in disguise. Now, other things in comparison, the 1x7 series tends to have wiring harness issues. Some guys like the notched frame, but I never did. The 125 is a classic in it's own right with the old style cushion seat as well. Hard call to make and you didn't mention how you use the 125 now - but I still think it's a known tractor to you and would lean toward keeping it over the still unknown 147 that sounds like it does need some work, and if I had it I'd always be wanting to put the electric lift on it and the original 10.5 rears. Hope this helps with your decision.

Joseph S - sounds good. Don't want to be tearing up the shaft coming out of the gearbox, or the small sprocket shaft on the thrower itself. And by the way, where's the Chitwood Garage come from?

Latest posts

Back