• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 06, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RYAN - Son has drywall. The ceiling may get insulated when I'm down there next time. I spent enough time running wire for the elec. outlets up there last summer in the 100+ degree heat. SON isn't comfortable getting around up there, he's about 6 ft 2 @ 250+# and I'm 5 ft 9 & 175#. The bottom chords of the trusses are only 2X4's and SON's afraid they won't hold him. We'll probably use 6" fiberglass batts.

I put 6 inches of insulation in the ceiling of my shop and am very happy with the results. The walls are 2X4 studs so there's 3-1/2" of kraft faced fiberglass batts in the walls. I went from using ten gal. of kerosene every two weeks heating my shop to ten gallons lasting 2-3 months after insulating it. If it was a constant living space I'd have gone thicker. The way it is we need a couple Zero degree days for the shop temp to drop below freezing without any heat. The year or two after I insulated when I parked my truck in there every night after running 60 miles home from work the temps stayed about 40 degrees just from the heat of the engine.

SON rents this place so he hates to put much more money into the place for things he can't easily take with him. His land-lord has worked with him on some things for the house but he hates to push his luck. We did a BUNCH of elec. wiring in the place this summer, new 220V 60A sub-panel in the garage and a bunch of new outlets in the basement. The place has a 30X50 basement set up for a family room and there were only TWO outlets in the whole basement, and one outlet in the 20X20 garage.

ANYHOW, to keep this on-topic, the garage/shop was where my 982 stayed all summer! And if things go well, the #70 will live there next summer.

Dennis Frisk

Oh great one
worthy.gif
. I`am having a problem on xmas gift for me. I have a makita cordless drill 14.4 V that was over 300.$ and the two batteries are toast after three years. last night at a local hard ware store is see a special drill impact combo 24v set up for half that $ . Are those little impacts worth buying ? Dewalt is the brand.Just think it might be nice for my shop ? thoughts , anybody use such a tool in there Cub shed ?

Harry, I don't know if you have heard of the joey chitwood stunt show? Was actually a real attraction back in the day. Buddy of mine started calling me chitwood when I was racing go karts. Apparently my heavy right foot made for some entertaining "stunts" and the name has stuck since. Chitwood garage is just a nickname for my home shop/garage cuz you never know what kind of ideas/creations may come out of there. Plus it reminds me of eastwood garage on tv.

Don, I have a 18v DeWalt drill and my brother has an 18v DeWalt tool kit (drill, circular saw, light, and reciprocating saw) that was our father's, he also has a second 18v DeWalt drill. They are amazing tools. I bought my drill back in 1997 the battery finally gave up about 3 or 4 years ago (see below for more on my battery) Before you throw out the Makita, try this with those batteries.

ZAP A BATTERY

OK, my original 18v DeWalt battery was dead and would give a fault when I tried to charge it. I found the above link about two weeks ago and decided to try it on my old battery. I used a auto battery charger to zap mine and it did bring it back to life.
happy.gif
happy.gif

Don T;
A friend bought the combo pack of Dewalt drill and screw/impact driver .. We used 'em to put the deck screws in the porch here in FL.. Worked great. Drill didn't work any better than my 14 volt XRP, put that's a torque monster anyways. The new batteries that they're using are far superior. I'm in the same quandary right now - two 14 volt XRP Dewalts with the older style batteries.. I can mail order a rebuild on 'em for about $50.00 apiece and they use a newer style battery, but to remain compatible with the Dewalt charger, it's not the newest LIPO or whatever stuff. I've used the XRP with a 1/4 " socket driver to pull stuff apart..

Just to keep this a little bit on topic, I'm back in the winter home and itching to go see what progress has been made on the Cub junkyard on the south side of town. In the spring it looked like someone was in there... Charlie ???????
wink.gif

Hey Gerry Ide,
Where abouts in FLA are you?My parents left for the month and will be back up north for Dec.My dad was thinking of getting a real garden tractor > Cub. He was going to do some looking around in Fla.
Dave

Donald T,

Those cordless impacts are awesome... You'll start using it everywhere it will fit.

On topic... I'm so close to getting the 782 upgraded to power steering and the Mag 20. Thanks to Mr. Plow for all the advice!

man all this tool talk made me look in the machine shop section where they have tool info some good stuff over there...hint hint

Back to cub talk, has any one ever bent their lift rod for the snow blade, mine bent outwards and is now very springy/flexing even after straightening.

Jeff- been there done that. Mine is on its 3rd reinforcement and so far holding up. It is a little frustrating when your not quite done using it when it bends. Hopefully wont have to fix it this year. I suppose they weren't intended for pushing cars...

DON - I'm CHEAP... I'd buy a new battery or two for your old Makita if it was me. Where SON works they use those cordless impacts to assemble $400,000 50,000# machines anyplace they can. They have some bolts that need over 500#/ft of torque and obviously they use bigger air-powered torque or impact guns for those, but everything little gets run home with cordless Makita impact drivers. And the Makita's hold up to having dozens of different users every day, when you know NOBODY recharges the battery until it's dead. I'd look for a new Makita impact that the batteries are compatable with the ones your old drill uses.

SON bought a Porter-Cable 18V impact about a year or so ago and uses the heck out of it. I first heard about them 8-9 yrs ago and frankly didn't see the need for one. But they are the ONLY Tool to use for driving drywall screws. The impact action drives the screw but they don't spin-out the bit like a cordless drill will do and chew up the bit & screw head. When we sheet rocked SON's garage, about ten sheets of 4X10X1/2" drywall we used his impact driver to run ALL the screws and only switched the battery once when we were almost done.

And for installing/removing small hardware like when assembling/disassembling Kohler engines they work great too. They come with socket adapters for 1/4" 3/8" sockets.

I standardized on Craftsman 19.2V cordless tools about twelve years ago. I still have my first 3/8" drill, 1/2" drill, right-angle drill, flood light, circular saw, sawz-all, spot light, and one other tool that excapes me, plus the Wife's cordless weed-eater... ALL take the same battery. And I maybe shouldn't post it in public but I have it on good authority than Santa Claus is bringing me a Craftsman 19.2V impact driver for Christmas. I hope it has two batteries, and know it'll have another charger.... I already have three. But I suspect when I get the impact driver my drills will only be used for hand-drilling holes.

Guys to keep the start on topic , I took the 129 loader hydra lick pump pulley that would not stay on the pump shaft with just the key and set screw. So at 9 am I dropped it off at a local machine shop big truck shop explaining what this pulley was for and its function.He said and this fix would be another set screw opposite the key. He said it would be ready by 12 noon. Here is where I get off topic lol. Well the Mikwaukee set was on sale for 200$.M18 cordless 2-Tool combo kit,18 V 1/2" compact drill driver and a M18 1/4" hex impact driver .The specks are drill 400 in-lbs and 1400 in-lbs torque for the impact.Two batteries with a 1hr charger five years on the tools and 2 yrs batteries.

Back on topic for Charlie and Jeff , I stop at 10 to noon on my way home for the completed pulley at the shop. when right to were the shop forman placed my pulley and it had not moved. He said sorry I will do it now and off he when . Out the door I went 10 minutes later with the set screw in place. No charge he said and come back again we missed this time.I thought I would be out at least 1/2 shop time and a set screw . I`am hooping to get the 129 loader running soon lol.

bash.gif
wife arrived home with me headed for the shop to get the driver out for a test. She asked
what you have there
whistling.gif
. Next think I know away goes the tools and she is paying for them and I ain`t getting it to use till after Xmas
bash.gif

Dewalt 14.4 v bateries are 92.$ each to replace I will have to give that some thought
1a_scratchhead.gif

Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos"

Wow , I do have a Lincoln electric welder and I will give that a shot . thanks
worthy.gif

I use the %$^& out of my 1/4" and 1/2" 19.2V cordless impacts (Craftsman 19.2V like Denny's). The 1/4" is THE NUTS for 90% of the Cub work you will ever do. Mine spends it's whole life with the 3/8" socket adapter installed.

Great little tools that have obsoleted my 3/8" butterfly air impact.

I finally got the big trailer home yesterday.
248610.jpg

Then this thing followed me home today.
I might have to change my sig line on this one!
248611.jpg

248612.jpg

Northern Mn. engineering for better cold weather starts.
248613.jpg

248614.jpg

Clutch needs a little TLC.
248615.jpg

And the seat needs mowing, or at least a trim.
248616.jpg

No you can keep the line,,, I do see beauty in the front emblem and hood decals

How did you ever see that with all that camo on it?

I likes the trailer,no snow yet?

Charlie - are you sure you have enough trailer for that? Well whatever that is - cause its all camo... Love the seat extensions riser things! Nice 106, cool headlights.

Thank you Charlies and others for the Advise on switching a 16hp and 10hp motors in my 1650. We removed the K341AQS 16hp and installed the K241AQS 10hp and it worked perfectly!

FYI - here's where I'll politely disagree with many of you. I have a couple little Rockwell cordless drivers that are awesome!!! Not sure what voltage they are, just little and powerful. Plus a few Black & Decker 18v drills that I use way more than I could have guessed! Especially for the rather low price . And a 14.4 Volt B&D. I'm not going to agree with anyone that a DeWalt is the way to go. Don's price on a battery re-enforces this. My Cordless Drills have built close to 100 Bag Toss games in the past 1 1/2 years plus many other projects including working on Cub Cadets. I have not paid close to $92 for any of them.

Latest posts

Back