• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 06, 2003

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

wmcginnis

Test pic

13619.jpg

Bill Mc

I wrecked the steering wheel on my 123 today, I wanted to fix the slop in the lower gear box, so I first attempted to remove the steering wheel.
Useing all the tricks and sugguestions here and at the FAQ page, I soaked the splines for a week in PB Blaster, loosened the nut and took a brase hammer and a regular hammer and with my knees pushing up on the steering wheel I began to pound away.
Ended up distroying the steering wheel( it fell apart) and broke off the top of the threaded shaft. The steering wheel is still stuck, so I decide to heat it up, melted the plastic bushing under the steering wheel and still have not managed to get it off.

I thought some one might like to see the buggy that is going to get the 1250 hydro treatment.
Sorry about the OT

Bill Mc

Looks like I will have to just cut off the steering wheel, after all the top inch of the threads on the shaft are broken off and the shaft will have to be replaced anyhow.

I will have to take my blue tip wrench(torch) and cut off the steering wheel. BUT befor I do that
maybe I will sell it as it is, don't realy need all these cubs anyhow, do I !?

Lonny,

FWIW I had to use a pitman arm puller and a lot of heat to get the wheel off my 100. I am afraid of what the 123 and 682 have instore for me.
Kewl, you have the GB Cub. Nice touch. Keep them Cubs, don't let them win.

Dave,
Kewl pictures. Kind of a "Patio" Cub.
wink.gif

(Message edited by till on November 06, 2003)

Lonny B. -

You DIDN'T follow the FAQ instructions, that's the problem...

You don't pound directly on the existing nut - it's only a jam nut!!!

You have to thread new nut and a bolt in there first:
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Dave Holtmart - 06:27am Jun 8, 1998 EST (#570 of 890)
Robert Mull, Here is another way for you if you don't have a 3 jaw puller. Go to your local hardware store and buy 5/8 fine thread <font color="ff0000">bolt</font> about 3 to 4 inches long with a nut, remove steering wheel nut and place new nut on covering about half of the threads on steering shaft, screw the <font color="ff0000">bolt</font> down inside the nut so it's tight, sit on the tractor seat with a hammer, place your knees under the outer part of the wheel and push up against the wheel and hit the head of the <font color="ff0000">bolt</font> squarely, may take a few blows to get the wheel to move. Don't place the new nut tight against the wheel leave a little room (afew threads 2to3 ). This is how i remove steering wheels as i don't have 3 jaw puller that will work, have removed several this way even old rusty ones.
Dave<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Tedd, Not mine but I thought the same thing. Cub patio. I think it looks kind of sharp. I wouldn't want to keep it clean, but it does pop out at you. I thought he did a nice job on it. Not a resto but not to bad a job.

(Message edited by dross on November 06, 2003)

Didn't think of the cleaning aspect. Must be a show tractor.

William,
Should be a neat project. Kind of a throw back to the early car days. Keep us posted.

Under Edit,
Anyone who has the "Supper steer" upgrade. How much smaller is your turning radius now??

(Message edited by till on November 06, 2003)

Alrighty, the Membership Map now includes our two responses from Canada...

Still working on Europe...

John P -

Well, you're a member, aren't ya??? Send it on in...

Tedd-
As for the Super Steer, let's just say this . . . .
My 2-car garage is divided into two halves, the half where I keep the Mustang is only wide enough to open one car door, WITH the snowthrower I can back it up along the end wall in the corner whithout having to shimmy it back & forth to squeeze it in there.

Dare I say squeaky tight . . .
happy.gif

Bryan D & Digger>

I did use the bolt method, 3 1/2 inch, bolt fine thread, threaded half way onto steering cloume threads, bolt threaded into nut until tight with steering shaft, use brase hammer as cushion so bolt can be used else wheres, apound inspecting the metal at the point of brakeags it looks to be very pourious metal, looks sort of like cast iron.

I removed the steering wheel from my 102 just 4 to 5 months ago the same way with out any problems.
I think it was a case of bad metal being used in the makeing of this shaft, but I could be wrong.

Latest posts

Back