• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 06, 2003

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You all know how it is, we all run into a bad product every once in a while.
It just happen to be my turn is all.

Well I finally got my pictures back. This is my 124. It’s not completely done. I still need the correct foot plate screws, I still have to cut out the clutch shield for the hydro belt. I also need to clean up the wiring with clips etc. The cylinder was bored .010 and the crank .010 under. The motor has a new piston, rod, valves, head etc. Replaced clutch. Completely rebuilt creeper (for a wide frame). Completely rebuilt hydraulic lift with every seal replaced. I was happy to still find the quick attach springs at my local CC dealer. The entire tractor was disassembled and sand blasted. I didn’t go crazy and fill in all the rust pits – and let me tell you there are a lot of them. I used the correct yellow (MTD/CC 759-3258). The white on the other hand… Since I work at a Caterpillar dealership, I used CAT white. The front wheel are the wrong color and need to come off and get re-painted.
I just finished the front blade. That was sandblasted and painted. Just need to get the decal for it. I have a QA42A that I’ll restore next spring when it’s warmer. Same with the 42” mowing deck.
Something isn’t quite right with the hydraulic lift alignment. As you can see in the pictures, the large pulley needs to come back further to line up with the pulley on the engine. But it can’t because it will hit the arm for the ram. The ram is mounted in the holes all the way back, so it can’t go back any further. Anyway, I’ll have to dig into it some more.

Mark

13633.jpg

13634.jpg

13635.jpg

13636.jpg

13637.jpg

13638.jpg

13639.jpg

13640.jpg

13641.jpg

13642.jpg

Lonny!
Not meaning to be critical.The bolt should not be tight to the steering shaft.If it is snug it won't give the wheel any room to move and come loose.Leave 2 or 3 turns of slack.That's how much the wheel is going to move upwards when you push it with your knees.

John P> I understand that is how it done and that is what I did, unfortanly the threads broke under the nut 3 threads up fron the steering wheel center. If I had a decent digatal camra and was able to post a pict. here I could show what happened.
I have tried and have read and reread the how to post pict's but the computers here at work will not allow me to do so.

I think I will just run the 123 the way it is for now and either tackle the problem next summer or sell it after I take off a couple of the gooddies(ie, lights, hydro unit)My 102 could use some dressing up anyhow.
Maybe have the 12 horse rebuilt and place it in the 102, options, options, options.

Hello all, I have a question about matching tires and rims to allow a flat footprint for max traction. My rims measure 9 1/4 inches wide. Looking at mounting a set of turf savers which come in a 23 9.50 12 or a 23 10.50 12. I see most of your pics showing flat footprints but mine look more like the pics of the nice 124 just posted. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks............JIM

Mark B. Good lookn' cub. Is that the cat dealer in LaGrange on Knoxon RD? I did some work over there in the past. I'm just over the state line in CT. Bring that cub to Kent in the spring. John

John N. - Thanks! Yes, I work there as well as the rest of their branches in CT, L.I., and the Bronx. Rental store in Hartford as well. New branch going up in Wallkill NY in the Spring of '04.
Hope to see you at Kent.

Mark

Mark...I have a 104 that has the same problem with the belt alignment. I just recently bought mine and have not had time to check it out. This tractor is really rough and I thought that someone may have hit something causing the problem.
Dean

Ryan M.,
Did you make over to huntington last night? I went down there to pick up a blade and they thought you might be by. I almost stuck around to meet you, but I could hear the wife 10 miles away screaming something about supper.

JAMES P. - Rim width affects tire footprint for sure, but in order to get full width contact You adjust with tire pressure. I'd mount 10.50 X 12's on those 9-1/4" wide rims, air them up to about 10 PSI then start letting air out of them till they leave tracks on a hard surface from edge-to-edge. My guess is You'll have 6-7 PSI in them when You achieve full contact. Of course tractor weight effects footprint also. If You have 250# of ballast on the back and weigh 350# Yourself the air pressure WILL be higher! ;-)

Mark, you made my day, that 124 is a beauty, well done! <font size="-2">One thing I have to mention though, the hood ornament is on backwards.</font>

Charlie, it looks OK that way on a 71, 1x2/3 series Cub Cadet but it looks odd that way on a 72, 1x4/5 series Cub Cadet.

<FONT SIZE="-2">IMO, FWIW, YMMV, My $0.02, Yada, Yada, Yada...</FONT> :eek:)

This is where the SGHC (Slant Grill Haters Club) members jump in and say something like:

"The 72, 1x4/5 series looks odd regardless."

To wit:
13645.gif

Kraig -

Naw, that one's just puking cuz it saw itself in the mirror
lol.gif

Anyone have any idea what size threads go with the plug that holds in the pressure relief spring on the Narrow Frame Hydraulic Lift unit? The plug in the unit I'm going through was butchered awful, but now I've managed to drill out the plug enough to get the ball & spring out, I don't want to go any further than drilling out with the tap drill size, I don't want to have do drill oversize for a new plug if I don't have to.

Rob Dehli-
I've been trying to get ahold of you, haven't been successful yet, if you get a chance my #'s a Guttenberg number, 1206. I'll be in Waukon possibly tonight and might be able to hook you up with your tiller extension.

BTW- I'll side with Kraig on the slant grilles, I like them, I still miss my 72 and 73!!

(Message edited by wcompton on November 07, 2003)

Mark B:
That is ONE BEAUTIFUL 124. Congrats.
thumbsup.gif

One day I hope to get mine to the next step, but I can't afford to keep mine out of action. Funny how you come to depend on these little guys for day to day yard service.

Kraig-
OK, I'll bite... The 72, 1x4/5 series looks odd regardless.

That said, I think my 72 (the only cub I park outside) had the hood ornament installed backwards from the start. (Or is it my 71?) Anyway, you can tell by the way the paint has worn on the hood, so it may not be incorrect if the guy on the line put them on that way...

<FONT SIZE="-2">IMO, FWIW, YMMV, My $0.02, Yada, Yada, Yada...</FONT>

(Message edited by aaytay on November 07, 2003)

Dennis F.
Thanks for the info on the footprint. I'll also be adding fluid for added weight and wheel weights which I imagine will also help.
Thanks Again........JIM

Latest posts

Back