Archive through November 05, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbliler

displayname
Jerry Bliler
Ken, there will not be any 2nd gear with the motor that is under the hood. I guess you could come and push!!!

I am having some problems with my front PTO clutch on my 126 K301 that I need some help with. After about 2 mowings the bolts that go through clutch fingers become loose. If I do not catch it as soon as it does this, the nuts will vibrate completely off of the bolts. I lost one of the bolts the first time it did this and I had to buy a replacement from CC since they are special bolts. The first time I tried to fix this I installed a new clutch disk, spring and anti rattle clips. Each time I tighten the bolts down evenly and use the spring tension gauge. After that I tighten the jam nut down as tight as I can without turning the first nut. Is there anything that I am missing? I have followed the directions listed in the service manual step by step. Should I put some thread locking compound to keep the nuts on?

Thanks

Chris C.

Ryan, just looked at old parts from carb kit. I have a alumunum washer under valve seat and a fiber washer under fuel bowl. A.

Chris C.

From your description is does not sound like you are tightening the jam nuts enough. You need to place a wench (with a thin profile) in the first nut and a second wrench on the jam nut. Hold the first nut still and tighten the jam nut more than you have been, carefull not to over torque. This should do it, but a "wicking" type locking compound after the jam nuts are tight always helps.

Jim

Christopher - Since you said <blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

After that I tighten the jam nut down as tight as I can without turning the first nut.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> I take it you're not holding the bottom nut with a thin wrench while tightening the jam nut, because IF you were you wouldn't be worried about the bottom nut turning.

<font color="ff0000">Jim you type faster</font>

this is easy,bottom nut is tighted against other nut to lock in place! i think thats it Later Don

Christopher
One more trick I learned here. Place a fine piece of sand paper on your work bench, then slide those nuts around until they're clean and shiny, then install using the afore mentioned wrenches, (two) That always works for me!
JH

Chris - I had the same problem when I rebuilt the PTO clutch on my 106. You have to get the jam nuts really tight. Has anyone tried using nylok nuts?

Thanks for the help. I do not have a wrench thin enough to hold the bottum nut while turning the top nut. What I have been doing is using some very thin vice grip plyers to hold the bottum nut while turning the top nut.

I have looked all over town for thin profile wrench with no luck. Any ideas of where to get some?

Thanks

Chris C.

Soon to be *hopefully* first time cadet owner.
I have the chance to buy a model 149. There is a snowblower available also, but it fits the narrow frame cubs.
My question is; can the narrow frame blower be modified easily to accomodate the wide frame tractors?
If not, will a blower from a different model fit the 149? Is there a list of attachments to fit the 149?
Thanks gang for the help!

Terry thanks for the info I plan on putting a cad loader on the 129 project tractor when I get that far. How easy is it to remove the loader from the mounting brackets? I had planned on running the hydrolics from a power source other than the pto. My dad has an Ariens garden tractor with a loader and it runs off the pto. There are days it proves to be a real pain. I'm used to live hydro on farm machinery and industrial stuff. How much counter weight do you have on. The lift on the loader is impressive but wouldn't be without enough ballast.

Thanks

Brian L.
If the thrower is a QA36A or a QA42A it will fit either a wide frame or narrow frame tractor.
On what implements will fit, go to http://cubfaq.com/questions.html and do some light reading.
biggrin.gif

I have a question. Will a QA42 work ok on a 129? Has anyone tried this setup? I do not see a belt described for this in the cubfaq.com thanks.

Thomas the qa42-a will fit a 129-- I have proof, there is a setup like that in my garage as I type.
ihrotate.gif

Chris C. -

Can you say "ignition wrenches"?
wink.gif

Chris C.
What you need is called a tappet wrench. You can get a decent quality one at Sears

Brian L

Re: tappet/ thin wrench: if you have a cheap wrench and a decent bench grinder you can make it as thin as you wish. I wouldn't grind on a Snap-On, but have ground a few Craftsman or Taiwanese wrenches down in an emergency.

ED: oh- Matt beat me to it!

Latest posts

Back