Archive through November 03, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JEFF - I wouldn't lose any sleep over the ring end gaps being lined up. The rings actually rotate around the piston when the engine runs... unless the ring groove collapses and pinches the ring, or there's loads of carbon deposits in the groove. The only rings that don't rotate are those in 2-stroke engines that are pinned in place so the ring ends don't stick through the ports in the cyl walls which normally makes for a bad day. But 4-stroke rings rotate about one revolution per thousand crankshft revolutions. The spot loading of the piston rocking back and forth, slight bending or misalignment of the wrist pin & bores in the rod & piston cause the rngs to rotate. But that being said, I make sure there's some separation between the end gaps when I assemble an engine.
You have to have cross hatch in the cylinder walls. If you're going to ball hone the bore, lots of good info here; http://www.brushresearch.com/flex-hone.php?gclid=CNS49sf0trMCFYpFMgodTgYAOg

DON - Thing I found out years ago about those block heaters, you can get too big of heaters, they get hot enough to open the thermostat and let the heat into the radiator then establish that as a flow pattern. I try to plumb them to keep the circulation as far away from the thermostat as possible. The 1000W heater I put on my first car, a '70 Chevy Nova w/ small block V8 would register 140 degrees while parked in a snow drift in 10-20 deg F temps when it was plugged in all night. When running 70 MPH it would run about 170-180 degrees on warm days. I didn't have a winter-front for it, but I did slide cardboard down in front of the radiator on cold days. I don't do that anymore, too easy to over-heat an engine. I had a 1500W heater on my '87 F150 w/300-6. It would get pretty warm too... start the truck while sitting outside and the temp gauge would immediately come up to the low end of the "Normal" range.

SON's heater should be able to heat his garage on LOW on all but the coldest days this winter. We put 4" of insulation in the walls. He hasn't got anything in the ceiling yet but may put some in. He needs to insulate his garage door, for both heating & cooling and NOISE.

Charlie - since you posted the bulletin, how about giving us the info details on:
No. 1 New Rear Hood Bumpers Released 1000 thru 1650 Cub Cadet tractors.

Could someone tell me what bolts are needed for attaching wheels weights. Thanks

Brian-

Those would be 1/2"-13 carriage bolts. There are a couple of different length requirments so I would just measure with the weight held in place. Install them from the inside and they lock in the wheel.

Has anyone made a test bench for cub engines? I was thinking about how to do one?

thanks dennis

Jeff, here's one that Jim Chabot built many years ago:

248482.jpg

248483.jpg

KRAIG - I was going to say that engine was one of the engines for Jim's twin-engine grader but I see two engines already in the frame in the background of that pic. Of all the wild things made from CC's, that grader was about the best.

Denny, just for you, photos of Jim's Grader and one for fun of Hydro Harry and Jim Chabot, Jim is the one welding.

248485.jpg

248486.jpg

248487.jpg

Kraig,
I've seen those pictures before and they are nice, but is there any pictures of the finished product?
popcorn2.gif

Shultzie, those are the most finished photos of it that I've seen not sure if Jim ever finished it. I recall he was having trouble getting the two Kohlers to play well together. He was using Love-Joy couplers with the engines out of phase. The couplers wouldn't hold up. It supposedly sounded like a Harley. I've not heard from Jim in years. Here's another engine stand photo for Jeff.

248492.jpg

Hydro, have you heard from Jim Chabot in recent years? Do you know if he ever finished his grader project? Hmmm, this photo looks like there's a story to go with it...

248493.jpg

This just in from Joseph S., looks like he's ready for snow.

248495.jpg

Kraig - Oh Great One Keeper of the Photos - you know, I thought that might be my K341A in the 1st 2 pics you posted of Jim's engine stand. That was the "special" muffler I got thru Jim Steele since I just couldn't find an original one. In the next group of pics Jim is brazing the trunion on my hydro pump (and yes the pump was still green at that time - we sorta figured the heat might help with that color). The Grader still has a ways to go in those pics and I believe I recall seeing it later with the center blade installed. Then, in your last post, I don't recall the story to go with the pic - but it looks like Jim is handing me the bolts and instructions to mount the dip stick/cam cover. I must'a really needed help. I also see the hood on the grader isn't painted, so your pics seem to all be in reverse time order. I have spoken with Jim couple times over the last few years. He no longer has that shop, and moved a couple times. He still has some of his Cubs but just not much time. I'll see if I can find out what the final outcome was with the grader. I was pretty certain he did finish it.

Under Edit - does look like Joseph S is ready for snow, but I'm concerned about that pistol grip on the hydraulic lift handle. It's really supposed to have a "light touch" control and I'd be afraid of pulling it way to hard with that grip on there.

Thanks kraig for posting the pic.
Hydro- all is well with that hurst pistol grip on the hyd lift lever. I should clarify and say as long as I'm running it and not my 3yr old up on the seat trying to make the thrower go up n down without it even running. Kids, gotta love em. Want to say thanks to everyone on the forum for help and info in getting my qa-42a ready to go. Anf harry I took your advice and put it on the 1450 instead of the 1200.

Charlie - thanks for posting the additional bulletin info. I knew IH changed those rubber bumpers, and sure wish they were still available. Much better than the previous push on style used on the 1x8/1x9 and early QL units.
Hey, on the Camshaft and ACR, it looks like it may have been for the NE Region only, since that's the sign off at the bottom of the page. To bad for those guys in the SE, SW, Central and NW Regions.

Joseph S - putting the QA42A with the 1450 is the perfect set up. I'd suggest switching the pistol grip over to the 1200 since it goes better with the "Arm Strong" lift lever
happy.gif

HARRY - I'm sure once IH/Kohler made the change on the tab on the camshaft... ALL the engines got them. The notification was probably done by region, but the change itself was across the board.

IH didn't normally do things that increased complexity and limited flexibility. They were VERY good at streamlining processes and standardizing.

Latest posts

Back