Archive through May 26, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhooke

displayname
John W. Hooke
Off topic, but Thanks one and all that served and/or is serving.To my Jarhead brothers Semper-Fi and Una-Stamus (We Stand as One)and to other's Happy Memorial Day, John Hooke Sgt. USMC 1971-1976 ANG- 1979-1984}

I too would like to thank all the men and young boys past and present in the service . I was willing but was not able to go so a big thanks to you all.

Anybody have Travis Schweizers e-mail, I want to get a shirt from him, thanks

Been a good and productive cub day. Finished up my 1961 cco, its now sitting in the shed waiting on the black paint on the foot rests to cure. I plan to start on the mower deck tomorrow, weather permitting. I ended up just getting a whole new pulley from TSC for my mule drive as just the replacement bearing for the cast pulley cost much more than the one I got. I have the cast one and will save it for future use. I cant wait to be able to mow with the cub! Then the last of the green stuff can leave, its the designated mowing "thing" right now. I know the k161 is missing some of its tin work, I have that coming soon. I was told it will actualy run cooler this way as you can keep the fins cleaner, however it just does not look right without them. Enjoy the pics. Mike
58755.jpg

58756.jpg

58757.jpg

Good afternoon! I'm refurbishing my snow thrower. I plan on painting the shoot and inside with graphite paint. I have it primed now. Do I need to put a finish coat of paint on before the graphite or can I put the graphite right on top of the primer?

Could one of you guys give me a quick history of the KT17 Series 1 & II. One was good and one was not so good. Also, how do you identify them? Thanks

David G.
It's amazing what you can find if you use the search option above for KT17.
biggrin.gif

The KT17 is not stamped on the engine. You need to look at the tag on the engine for the Spec Number. KT17 series I are spec nrs 24299 and lower. The series II are spec nrs 24300 and higher.

I cant stand a scruffy cub Charlie. Even a worker cub deserves a decent repaint, even with just rattle cans like I use. I think we need to see more folks, atleast give there plow day cubs a quick repaint. I always hear that they want to take the time to do it right, thats all fine and well, but after many years go by and that same cub, that they bring to every plow day looks the same year after year. It starts to make one wonder, espicaly the general public, if that person just doesnt care how it looks at all. I try to encourage folks to freshen up thier cubs, even if its not the best finish or done quite the way it "should" be done. A decent looking cub goes a long way of positivly promoting our hobby than a nasty, dirty and rust cub that while running good and usable, looks horrible. I am not looking to start a war over painting cubs or not painting cubs. However our hobby is growing by leaps and bounds now, and I mean garden tractor collecting and operating in general, is taking off like a jet plane. Just watching prices for cubs, deeres and other older brands on ebay is amazing. As the "old hands" if you will in the hobby, since we were doing this before the big expansion in garden tractor collecting, we should set the good example. A clean tractor creates a good first impression. I find this to be espicaly true at general shows that I attend with my tractor. The guys with the scruffy machines dont get many folks walking up to them to chat about thier tractor. But when I am sitting still and not riding around, I am constantly busy talking to folks and getting comments on my tractors. I work my tractors, they mow the grass, blow the snow and plow at plow days. But I take the time to wash the tractor, wax the hood and dry it off the day or so prior to the event. Yes it might get dusty or dirty if I plow, but it looks nice and clean, with a nice paint job when I back off the trailer, that alone gets folks walking over to my spot to check out my work. I really home MTD/CC does something really special for the 50th aniversery comming up in a couple of years. I know I am getting ready for it. Cheers Mike

Wow-ya mean people actually collect Cubs just to LOOK AT ?? I knew those guys with those old bug-eye green things did that, but as far as I'm concerned a workin' Cub is just that - I'll repaint it when it retires.. in another 35 years or so. Around here, suggesting to someone that they ought to paint up their tractor might get yer rattle can shoved where the sun don't shine..The dings and dirt are war paint on a worker. BTW, IMHO promoting the "value" of Cubs as a collectible will drive the prices out of sight, just like it did for Mustangs a few years ago. Every yuppie in town had to have one, not because they cared about cars, but because they were an "investment"..
explotar2jr.gif

I'd paint mine if it wasn't working year round. I dont have time to take it out of service and tear it down for a paint job.
fence.gif

IMHO who cares about paint a real IH man knows what he's looking at. Ever heard "beauty is only skin deep" or "don't judge a book by it's cover". As far as a rattle can paint job goes why bother if you dont prep all the metal properly rust will come back quick. If your the type of person who is easily distracted by shiny things I guess it's worth the 10 bucks in paint to sweep the dirt under the rug as they say. I like them just the same even if they are the color of the dirt I'm pushing.

I wouldn't own a tractor I couldn't work , as far as paint goes if it's all rusted up I wouldn't buy the thing cause the p.o. didn't keep the thing put up out of the weather , thats neglect plain and simple and fellas as far as the prices going through the roof it's too late that ship has already set sail.

Kendell - You wouldn't think there would be any yuppies here would ya ? BIG Mutley SNICKER !

Henri - Part of the reason my garage is so full is because I refuse to sit my cubs outside, even though 2 of them are non powered. They've been inside since the day I bought them and they'll stay inside.

Speaking of paint ... I've found out something building up this Toyota besides the fact that they had no idea how to build a frame or prevent rust ... I hit the rusty pitted driveshaft with a wire cup wheel in the 4.5" angle grinder then sprayed it with cold galvinized paint (93%). I then sprayed it Sunburst Yellow from a rattle snake's tail and a good month has gone by and the rust isn't showing through yet. I'm going to use the galvinize spray as primer for the bed I've built.
Any thoughts on it ??? It might be better than primer for rusty cubs and other parts.

back to the shop ...

Good Morning All.
happy.gif

Mike T. Nice looking Original that you have. Good to see you back with Cub Cadets again.

After yesterday's rains today looks to be a beautiful day to relax and work on the 100. I sure want o get it up and running before long. Geez, I started on it two years ago. Things keep getting in the way.

Good morning gang- it's a beautiful cool spring day here to. Finnaly no rain so time to get the 1250 out and mow the neighboorhood and the mother inlaws. The grass is taller than what I'd like to cut with the push mower so It's time to uses the tractor even here in town.
bouncy.gif

Tim, I take pride in my IH equipment, always have. That goes back to when I worked on the farm. All the equipment was alwasy kept clean and we refreshed and painted in the off season. When we took equipment to a show, it was atleast cleaned with the presure washer. I am not going to start a war about REAL IH Men, like you are try to. Its my opinion and we are all entitled to one. lets see more cubs cleaned up and refreshed. Oh yeah, I do clean the scale and rust off the frame prior to paint. I dont worry about pitting ect, its not a show queen remember! Just clean off the flaking stuff and the surface rust with a sanding block or the wire wheel on the drill. Has work for me all these years and not everybody has the ablity to use a proper spray gun on a compressor to paint with. That is not an excuse to not repaint something. Have a great day everybody. Mike

Hoping you guys in Illinois can shut the rain off today - I've been the last two days waiting it out up here to the northeast of ya, so I can get back on the retaining wall we're building next to the new barn... Got the front blade back on the 129, ready to backfill once I start piling the blocks up..Still like the "Cub per implement" idea, but I'll just have to struggle along.
BTW Mike - if your just knocking the flakes off, get some high fill primer to level it out... You can get cheap HVLP gravity feed guns at HF or you can probably even get the primer at NAPA in rattle cans. (I bought one to use as a jam gun, saves cleaning the good ones out). Of course, nothing will stand up like the original paint, unless you've got an oven to bake 'em in...

Can someone tell me how the CAT0 hitches worked, do they lift with the lower arms, or what? I want to make one up for my 149, help!!!

Latest posts

Back