• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 25, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Terry,

35795.jpg

Knowing my 782 Manuals from Binder Books are buried somewhere in a box in my new garage...does my 782 require 2 gallons for a complete Hytran change? Seems like last time I did it...I had two gallons and had about a half quart left over based on the dipstick telling me it was full. Also...can I use the petroleum based Cub Cadet formula from the local Cub dealer? My grandpa's 3235 takes the Cub Cadet Semi Synthetic formula and only 6 quarts. But its $8 per quart and the regular Cub Cadet formula is $2 per quart. I am guessing the Non-Synthetic Cub Cadet fluid is similar to Hytran. At least it smells like Hytran. The IH dealership is 25 miles...and the Cub dealer is 5 blocks which is why I'm considering the Cub Cadet transmission fluid.

Neil, 14 pints is what I find in the various manuals from the 149, 1650, and 2072. I don't have a 782 manual but I would deduce from the other models that it's 14 pints. Perhaps someone with their 782 manual handy will verify. Also FWIW:

14 pints = 7 quarts
14 pints = 1 gallon & 3 quarts.

Sooooo, you should have 1 quart left over from your 2 gallons.
happy.gif

Kraig, I didn't remember who it was, but there was a conversation about reversing the hydro and flipping the carrier about the time I was trying to shorten Artie. A belated thanks for the help.

Mike, I bought a new 14 foot trailer just to haul the Cubs to the show. I'm usually showing 10 now; Artie will make 11. It's great to see your name on the forum occasionally. Hope all is going well and miss our converstations here.

Oops.

(Message edited by kmcconaughey on May 26, 2006)

Paul, I can't take any credit for the suggestion it may have been Wyatt though. Most of the conversation between Wyatt and myself on that topic were via email. FWIW, I was joking around with Wyatt there in that post. It's good to see that implemented. Here's a cut and paste drawing that I did of what I wanted to build but I don't have the time, the tools, the funds or the skills to pull it off. It would be a side by side 4 wheel drive Utility Vehicle with Cub Cadet based drive line. I'd need to change the front axle/transmission from fixed axles to A-arms with u-joints in the axles and steering knuckles so that it would have a suspension and be able to steer. The rear axle would also have the A-arm and u-joints for a suspension but no steering knuckles. Also the engine and Hydro pump would have to be lowered and offset to the left with a chaincase drive (kinda like a snowmobile chain case drive) to a transfer case which would also route the hydro fluid back to the rear end. The transfer case would use the lower RPM output from the hydro pump through the transfer case to drive the front axle.

35798.jpg

My current plans are to make a side by side seating rear wheel drive Utility Vehicle. I'd like to have a front suspension on this one too but stay with the fixed rear axle. Here's a cut and paste of it:

35799.jpg

(Message edited by kmcconaughey on May 26, 2006)

Kraig, your top sketch looks way beyond anything I'd ever try!! Good luck. The bottom sketch is something I've been considering. My wife is always upset that I have the trailer full of fencing supplies when she needs it for yard work. I think your bottom sketch would make a great yard and garden cart for her. I figure with a 7hp engine it would be very reliable and easy starting. But, I've got a front loader to make before I start on that project. Too many projects; not enough time.

Paul, that top sketch is way beyond anything I'll ever try either! That's why I made the bottom sketch. :eek:)

A good friend just emailed me and basically told me I can't even think about building a Cub Cadet based Utility Vehicle until I finish refurbishing my Original aka: "K4K". I'm making progress on "K4K" and hope to work on it some more this weekend. The various parts are slowly turning from rusty, greasy chipped yellow and white to oxide red primer.
happy.gif

35801.jpg

Hi Folks,
Could some one show me ( picture) or tell me on which part of the oil bath air filter ( Cub- Original) does the decal go on? I have seen them on both sections.
Thanks and have a safe holiday!!!
G.L.

Neil C:

Kraig is correct, it is 14 Pts. I looked in my 782 Manual and confirmed it.

Here is the Fluid you need:

35806.jpg

Greetings from Santa Barbara,

Been lurking for a while but have a question. On my original 7hp the governor gear broke, not sure how. Lucky I had a magnetic drain plug as it caught all of the parts including the stub shaft. No other damage.

I have searched the archives. Is there an assembly drawing other than the one in the shop manual? It does not show anything except how far out the stub shaft should protrude.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Harry L. -

By shop manual, do you mean the <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> Cub Cadet manual or the downloadable (FREE) Kohler repair manual?

Bryan,

I have the Blue Ribbon Service manual, GSS-1292. I have not looked at the downloadable manual. Do you have a web address?

An interesting part of this whole experience is that the engine was running fine. I found all the bits and pieces when I decided to fix an oil drool from the pan gasket. There was a pile of broken parts stuck to my magnetic drain plug. Maybe I do not need the governor.

thanks Bryan

Harry L. -

Yep, there's a link in the FAQ under "where do I get manuals, parts..."

Bryan,

Found it, thanks.

I had been to the koehlerengines.com site previously but in the manuals section they did not have one for the K181. The FAQ link goes to a common/resources sub directory.

Now to try and decipher the dark pictures taken into a cave.

Harry L: Very odd. Even with tri-focals I could find manuals for the K181. Pssst- hint, hint...try looking under Classic Engines....Type in k181 in that little ole search block at the left side....Then click on manuals...Aaaamazing what ya get....

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Latest posts

Back