• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 25, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmunday

displayname
Rick Munday
biggrin.gif

Of course, nobody has to actually POST to test their account. All they have to do is login to their profile...
wink.gif

I finally got "Artie" to the point where all the fun stuff is done. What's left is the body work and painting -- stuff I don't like to do. It looks like for the near future I'll just pull the rear end around. I'm out of time and ideas right now to power the rear end.

35763.jpg

35764.jpg

Paul, looking good! How about some detail photos? Please?
happy.gif

Thanks for the tips on a 782 rear axle cover fill port. I found a Summit Racing Catalog which has a B&M auto tranny sump pan drain plug kit which might work as well. I do like the sight glass plug setup by Wyatt. But since the 782 has a dipstick...I can just as easily check that way too.

I suppose if I put the port up high...then I could just dump in my 2 gallons of HyTran and check with the dipstick. It is 2 gallons with a new filter if I remember...right?

Myron...when you say use a 1/4" tubing vent...where does the vent tube go? Are you saying use the tube on a tiny funnel and the air will vent around the tubing up through the dipstick steel tube?

Sorry for my slow response to this topic. I've been busy. My dad almost lost his arm in a chain saw accident. A branch fell from this bushy apple tree in a strange direction and forced the saw onto his upper left arm when he was looking away. It was pretty bad and he had to be taken to Indianapolis Methodist for surgery via helicopter air ambulance. By some miracle he got to keep his arm and its going to physically heal. The nerve damage (2 of 3 main nerves were cut) will take some more time to heal but he still has control over finger movement fine and has feeling in half his arm. Mainly it was artery damage which was repaired fine. He lost much blood but managed to make it to the garage to dial 911. I was first on scene with our Vol Fire Dept and was only a minute away from him so I could stop his bleeding quickly with pressure (and tons of it). He wrapped his wound with a towel in the garage and held it the best he could till we got there. Fortunately the local ambulance was only 2 minutes out. Time is not a luxury in cases like this which makes saw safety a super important topic.

Guess my point is...since some of us are also around chain saws (a necessary evil) alot...please consider spending $200 and get the special chaps and coats Stihl and other makers sell for protection. For another $45 you can buy the top of the line helmet and face/neck sheild too. Well worth it if you even only spend 1 hour a year with a saw like my dad. He had never had a scratch in his life nor has he ever been in a hospital. But he's still here thank goodness. I'll get off my safety soap box now!
happy.gif

Neil,

I'm happy to hear you Dad will be able to recover. It is still a horrible injury though. I wish him the best.

Neil- sorry to hear about your dad,hope he makes a speedy recovery. safety around ANY power equip. is essential. it only takes one time.if i may answer the question for Myron,put the vent line in the funnel itself,just put it far enough past the funnel end but above the oil level in the tranny,that way the air your pushing out of the tranny when your filling it can escape(you wont get the burping action of the oil) hope that makes since...T

Neil.
I hope your dad makes a full recovery.

Chainsaws are dangerous.
I have had first had knowlage on how dangerous a chainsaw can be, fourtanly I was lucky enough not to injure myself severe enough to require hostipalization, just a few stiches, a couple of times.

you guys have probably seen this
35771.jpg

but did you ever notice the look on his face?
35772.jpg

does he know something we don't ? or
35773.jpg

could he be puttin the moves on Miss green pant's?
the world really needs to know.

Does somebody where to look for the hydrostatic transmission drain and fill plug on my 127?
I look also for some instruction to adjust the steering box. Can we also adjust it to remove some loose?
Thanks

Is that a tiller? Does anyone have pictures of that model? I am curious about the rear wheel. It also looks like its externally powered.
35778.jpg

Kraig, here's some more pictures that were taken during the build. I'm not at work during the summer so I don't have access to a high speed connection, but I'll include a couple of the pictures. The first picture is Artie before I reversed the transmission, engine and ring gear. My son convinced me Artie was too long. You can see the difference in length as opposed to the picture I posted earlier.

35780.jpg

This is the drive shaft of Artie after I installed the hydro facing rearward and rotated the engine 180 degrees as well. As I said above, I also then had to flip the ring gear.

35781.jpg

For the steering valve, I used the original hydraulic valve from the 1650. Originally the way I had it mounted you had to keep returning the steering wheel to neutral; i.e., I used the steering wheel like a valve handle. By moving the valve to the rear and connecting it as shown you keep turning the steering wheel as you want Artie to turn. When you turn the steering wheel it activates the valve, but as Artie turns the valve is released. You have to keep turning to keep activating the valve. Hope that all makes sense.

35782.jpg

I also originally used the cylinder from the 1650, but it didn't have enough stroke and activated too quickly. Surplus center just happened to have this one on sale right when I needed it. It has the longer stroke I needed and acts slower because of the larger diameter.

35783.jpg

I have several more pictures, but they're basically the same thing.

Kraig, I forgot to mention that the bottom connection between the front and back is a Category 1 "lift arm weld on end". You probably recognize the top connection as a Category 0 top link.

Paul-
Great progress, about the nicest porportions I've seen yet. I like your simple steering setup.

Have a safe holiday weekend everyone.
I'm out here until the middle of next week.

Youall come back now, you hear!

Alain D:

Welcome to the forum.

Here is a pics of a Cub Cadet Rear Transmission Cover with the fill plug noted:
35786.jpg

Go to the FAQ section and look at item #26 for a complete description on the fluid change procedure.

Go to this link. Richard Christensen done a great job and explaining a Steering Gear rebuild. Some of the "slop" in your steering gear could be reduced by adjusting the "stud follower" and the big nut on the end of the column.
http://cubfaq.com/steeringrebuild.html

Hey Paul Funk. I'm sorry I wasn't there to see that tractor going together. Neat project. Are you going to take it to the Boonville Show? Wish I was there! How many "show" tractors does that make now ? 3, 4 ??? Anyway, good to see the updates and thanks for everything!

Mike

Paul, thanks for the detail photos! I agree with Wyatt, the proportions look good.

Wyatt, remember our discussions on flipping the hydro and ring gear when I wanted to make a 4x4? Looks like Paul was listening in.
happy.gif

Neil, YIKES! I use a chainsaw more hours per year then I care to, but seeing as I heat with wood I have no choice. Sounds like your father will be OK but that was a very close call. Good thing you were close by. Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery.

I recently had a semi load of slab wood delivered. I think it's 10 or 12 cord. LOTS of time with the chain saw ahead.

35789.jpg

35790.jpg

Back