• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 24, 2016

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydroharry

displayname
Harry Bursell
David - if I were you I certainly wouldn't feel sick. Just think - how else could you get all this time to get caught up with the Forum and figure out everything you need to do. Yesterday you mentioned something about forgetting the PTO engagement rod for the 126 after you installed the Hydraulic Lift. That's really no big deal - but obviously really hard trying to do it with just one hand. It'll still be waiting for you to do it once you get the right hand function back. While you're waiting why don't you check out all the tractor shows coming up in your 3-state area. I sure wish I had the time you do.

ihrotate.gif

Speaking of Wrenching on "Cubs"

Got of work Early 2Day,,,
Came Home and Found Momma laying out in the Sun,,,
Dobbie Running around Back Yard digging up our Apple Tree's,,,

So I Figured WTHeck,,, Headed down to Garage grabbed Wrench and Put on My Stainless Hinge w/ SS bolts and Washers!!!!

LoL
ihrotate.gif

304659.jpg

ihrotate.gif

304660.jpg

ihrotate.gif

Feels GOOD to work on "MY" IH Cub,,, which will As Long as He's a Workin he'll never be anything close to Jim or Harry's!!!
But My 149 is MINE!!! I've come to be Familiar with it the time I have spent wrenching on it, Cleaning it, making Mistakes and Correcting them along the way.
Although I do Congratulate you Jim and Harry on your Beautiful Creation's I wouldn't Trade mine for "Just" about any other out there!!!
I Like my cub cuz it's Mine and if I want to go off OEM spec here and there that's my choice! And it don't matter what anyone else Thinks!!!!

Kinda like My Doberman,,, There are a Million other out there but the Relationship we Have Formed is the Reason I Love HIM!!!!

And to all you out There who Feel your cub my Never equal up to the Standards of a Perfect Resto,,, in a Way that's a Good Thing, Cuz Your cub equals the Standard of Your Cub!!!!

Don't Get me Wrong I Admire a Beautiful Perfection Resto as much as anyone else, but I Also Admire Working Cubs, Dirty Cubs,, and Even Rusted out Forgotten Cubs!!!!

Since I purchased my First a few weeks ago I Think I may have been bit by the IH cub bug,,, LoL

I Love This Site!!!!!

ihrotate.gif

ihrotate.gif

ihrotate.gif

Attachments

• ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 122
  • ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 114
  • ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 124
  • ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 117
  • ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 304660.jpg
    304660.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 304659.jpg
    304659.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 126
  • ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
  • ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 304660.jpg
    304660.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 304659.jpg
    304659.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 141
Jason W.-

Another tip: Don't replace Grade 5 or 8 bolts with stainless...most hardware store stainless steel bolts are around the same strength as a Grade 2, or even less. Hood hinge will probably be OK, but I wouldn't use them on the rearend, engine, frame, etc.

Jason - you just purchased it a few weeks ago!!!!! Dang you've done alot. You've certainly got the uncureable chronic yell'r n white fever. But don't worry WE ALL GOT IT TOO!!!!!!

Jason,

You picked an excellent working tractor!!! A 149 is one of the very best single cylinder models to "work"!!! Strong, smooth, simple, yet refined!!!! My first Cub was a 149 as well.

Of the standard sized Cub Cadets, the 782 and 149 are top on my list........with the 2072 in the Supreme Commander's seat!!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 115
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 120
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 113
I agree with Matt G., stainless is a pretty good idea on cosmetic applications, but, along with stainless being softer, lower grade stainless will rust too. Don't think stainless is waterproof. JMHO

By the way, nice cubs guys!!!

Pictures........the next best thing to being there.

Jason,

Don't worry, you will be buying more cubs in the near future to help with your disease!!
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    419 bytes · Views: 114
Steve - I don't know about the 149 being "smooth". It's probably smoother than the 169, but still has some shakes.

Also, I know it's not off topic Friday and this may be at risk of a poof, but be careful if you use the hydraulic down pressure on your 2072. My 1872 was set up with it and every time I lowered the 60" deck to the ground to far it would flex the side of the frame where the cam stop (to set lowest position) is located.
Also, yesterday you mentioned removing and re-installing the 60" deck beast. When I picked up my 1872 the guy just drove the tractor over the top of those diamond plate spindle covers. I was worried at first but after realizing the tractor had the aluminum rearend which is pretty light weight, it was not really harmful. I will also say that 60" beast was more than I could handle by myself. Even with my son's help it was still a beast.

ihrotate.gif

ihrotate.gif

Thank You ALL,,,

Yes I Purchased April 23rd, I'm in Dayton Oh, seen the CL ad in Zanesville Oh, Couldn't Load up And get Trailer Hooked up Fast Enough,,,
ihrotate.gif

Add said Runs Great Everything Works,,,
ihrotate.gif

304668.jpg

ihrotate.gif

304669.jpg

ihrotate.gif

Kicker is Turned out to be a ONE Owner, I Paid 5 Bills and Got Original Sales Receipt!!!!

ihrotate.gif

304670.jpg

ihrotate.gif

Tractor was $1,800.00 in 1974,,,,
I brought it Home and Mowed Next Day!!!

Been wrenchin on it Since,,, Mowing In Between Wrenching's LoL

ihrotate.gif

ihrotate.gif

ihrotate.gif

Attachments

• ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 125
  • ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 118
  • ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 120
  • 304670.jpg
    304670.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 126
  • ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 114
  • ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
  • ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
  • ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 304668.jpg
    304668.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 122
  • ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 304669.jpg
    304669.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 133
  • ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 110
  • ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 110
  • ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 116
  • 304668.jpg
    304668.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 304669.jpg
    304669.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 304670.jpg
    304670.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 135
Thanks for the Tip on SS Hardware!!!
I Appreciate That very much,,,
Cosmetic Only It Will Be,,,

And I guess my goal was to Prevent THIS:
304673.jpg

From Happening Again,,,
Thanks Again,,,

ihrotate.gif

Attachments

• 304673.jpg
    304673.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 304673.jpg
    304673.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 129
Wayne S. The ported hydro pump has a bigger charge pump on it than the non ported hydro. The bigger charge pump was necessary for the hydraulic lift. I have Angel's 129 with an excellent lower hour non ported pump and a really low hour 14 horse Kohler.I also have a very low hour ported pump and rear end from a 149 that I just can't put into that 129 even though I have everything parts-wise to make it hydraulic lift.

Harry,

That is an 82 series issue related to the float on the rockshaft rusting solid. Happens A LOT!!! Mine has that issue, just have to be careful lowering the deck or it will lift the tractor!!!!

H60 decks are designed to be driven over.......

I've done the 129 to 149 hyd lift swap.......easy and it works 100% , no issues.

Swap the whole hydro, or split the hydro and swap the front cover/charge pump onto the existing axial pump/motor.....either way.....works and is a very straightforward upgrade for a wide frame hydro.

Marlin-

I've done what Steve mentioned for one of my 129s. I swapped the whole pump plus I did it to a 1250 the same way. I think I used the hydraulics from a 1450 there.

Both work great!

That warning Kraig posted just threw me by saying larger pump when I guess they meant larger charge pump (???).

Looking for advice whether or not anything should be used on the gaskets for the reduction housing or differential cover. Gasket shellac or gasket adhesive etc.Thanks in advance..Joe

What's going on here on the Forum???? We've had more posts with pics today than we've had in months. There must be some other guys lurking out there that have acquired a Cub recently. Just go ahead and post us a note. We ain't gonna bite ya. Include some pics if you can too. We love to see CC units.

Marlin - just go ahead and do the hydraulic lift upgrade. Use this for a reason - sooner or later you're gonna have to change that infamous cork gasket. Just do it now as a preventative maintenance, and change the hydro ported pump while you're at it. I happen to think the Wide Frame Hydraulic Lift is the best feature IHCC ever produced. Talk about bullet proof - other than the infamous cork gasket and until recently when a couple guys posted about an issue (and one was operator error), I hadn't recalled anyone having a performance issue with the hydraulic lift system.
And once you do the upgrade you'll be left with the manual lift arm assembly, which will make a nice long newspaper weight to use just in case you have some future problem with the hydraulic system.
biggrin.gif

Steve - it's been about 15 years since I had that 1872 but I remember "lifting the tractor" by driving that deck down. I thought I ended up removing the float lockout pin and it resolved the issue.

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    419 bytes · Views: 115
Harry B. Both pumps are hardly used based on trunion wear. I'd have to run the hydraulics from a parts 1650. It would make one sweet tractor that I agree. If I get time this summer,I may be doing the swap. My biggest thing is wanting to keep the tractor original and time. However hydraulic lift especially with snow throwers and at Plow Days at my age is so much easier than manual lift.

Jason, I picked up my newly acquired 149 on March 20th. The pics show how I bought it, the pedestal, hood and more pieces are on a shelf next to the 149. It is missing the K321 motor and some other parts n pieces. I'm working a deal with another Cub enthusiast trading my 1806 and things for a K321 motor, a Model 128, parts to get this build started, a couple other things. If this does not work out I'll start a rebuild of K301 12hp and install it into the 149. The K301 12hp would not a normal K301 when I'm done with it.

A couple weeks ago I swapped tires to it from another Cub Cadet. Its currently residing in the back corner of my dad's shed.

A few months ago I moved and I have NO room for Cub Cadet in my new much smaller house, I mean garage. I will have room for 1 Cub soon. One to be fixed up then, taken back to my dads, then the next will come home to be fixed up, etc. 1st in line is my 122 that needs the clutch looked at.

Afternoon All! I'm so happy to be a member here at IH Cub Cadet.com! Well, that sure is a nice model 149 crafted up by Jason! Hydro Harry's model 169 is just an awesome,example of what you would expect that year purchasing the garden tractor from the local IH dealer (though my taste would have been to go for the original color yellow on the engine).

As I'm currently going over my 1450 cleaning and inspecting things, I'm longing for the day in just less than four months when I will be married for the first time, and on our honeymoon away from my full time job. So, at this point is when I'm going to order my new Firestone Flotation 23" x 10.5" x 12" rear tires for my 1450 this-a-way the tires are home waiting for me on my return! I guess I'm triple excited for this up coming year! Would anyone be kind enough to post up a picture or two of the Firestone Flotation tires they have on their IH Cub Cadet for me?

With all the talk going on about the Wide Frame models, this winter my plan is to replace the k181 in my nice model 86 with a k301 from a model 128/9 I have on my shelf and give it to the Ms for her to have! She is excited about having her own!

Marlin, I hope the weather holds out for you. We're expecting some rain over the holiday weekend too, but lets just see how much rain is going to limit us from family, friends, and our IH Cub Cadets!

Have a great day guys, the weekend is almost here!

Latest posts

Back