Archive through May 21, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike P., one other thought about the amp gauge. I believe that is just a reading of what you electrical system is doing, a faulty amp gauge I do not believe would have any affect on your tractor running nor cause the symptoms you are experiencing. Just dont want to see you waste money on a new gauge that probably is not bad to begin with. Just my .04 cents now at this point.
err.gif

What confuses me....a lot of people have said about the ground to me. But is there more than one ground on these 982's? I removed the black ground cable from the battery, shined up that end as well as removed it from the frame beside the battery box and shined it up as well as the frame, down to the bare metal all shinny and nice. I never had issues with it before and I have owned it for two years now. It just started doing this. Is there a ground off the engine or the starter that I am missing? I thought they were automatically grounded when they bolt to the frame?
1a_scratchhead.gif

happy.gif

Got my '62'CCO (38617) home and unloaded it today. Looks nice and runs good with little smoke. Does have a few issues.Needs throttle control,key switch,hood brace gone,rr axle seal leak. What bothers me is a frame crack and around battery box been cut and several holes for differant reasons. Steering somewhat loose at axle pin and at gearbox. Will have to post for good used switch and footrest after I remove snowcab footrest.
Rod
225522.jpg

225523.jpg

225524.jpg

Guys think about it. in order for an amp gauge to work properly it has to "see" all the Load for the tractor. If it screws up it's posible none of the voltags gets through. No lights, no starter, nothing.
Mike if you can fix it by messing with the wires on the gauge I think I'd clean those connections and make sure thier tight before I bought anything. Thats just me, you do what you want.
happy.gif

Mike P, I've spent a lot of time trouble-shooting the wiring on my 782 when I converted it to a magneto-type ignition. While the particulars may be different, the systems are likely very similar. I learned several things in the process: (1) Connections at the ammeter are important (my lights wouldn't work until I wiggled them), (2) the discharging condition displayed on the ammeter is simply telling you that while the tractor is running, the current is flowing from the battery to the rectifier, instead of from the alternator to the battery (as desired). Problems with the charging circuit don't manifest themselves in a few hours, but in a few weeks or months when suddenly you have to jump the tractor to start it (hence the reason the ammeter is installed in the tractor): your concern is well founded. Finally, (3) one of the reasons that that the ammeter diplays a "discharging" condition, is because the current flowing from the rectifier to a point in the circuit other than the battery, and pulling the battery voltage down with it; in other words, the ammeter reading is trying to tell you that you have a short in the system "stealing" the juice intended for your battery.

The best way I know of isolating the source of the problem is to do just that, isolate the problem circuit.

Step One, pull the fuse for the lights and any other electrical accessories installed and try to run the tractor. If you don't see the "discharge" condition, the problem is in the lights.

Step Two: again, assuming that your tractor is fired by a magneto and not a coil, it should be possible to bypass the ignition entirely by disconnecting the magneto's "kill" wire in such a way that you can ground it when you want/need to to stop the engine, set the brake (safety first), remove the "ignition" fuse, set the key to the "Run" position, and jump battery voltage to the ignition contact at the starter solenoid. If you can crank the engine with the "kill" wire disconnected, it should start; hold the "kill wire" to a good ground to stop the engine.

If the "discharge" condition disappears with the ignition circuit removed, then the problem is in the ignition circuit. Be sure to check all switches and connections.

If you're still seeing the "discharge" condition with the Lights and Ignition out of the circuit, then I would be sure to check the output of the alternator (35 VAC at Top No Load RPM), and the output of the rectifier (13.5 VDC to 14.4 DC) with reference to ground (engine block or chassis). You can check both the AC and the DC outputs at the terminals of the rectifier while it is in circuit.

If the results of the alternator and rectifier are inconclusive, there are instructions to do a full load testing of the components in the Kohler manuals (the procedure requires two VOM meters).

As far as the ammeter is concerned, it is simply a d'Arsonoval movement: a coil held between two poles that are magnetized by the flow of current through the meter. Again, if the needle moves at all, the gauge is working well enough for our purposes. As someone who used to repair VOMs, I can tell you that only thing that kills them is mechanical damage (the jeweled movement is broken) or severe over-current conditions (like hooking it up to 480 VAC when it is set for 12 VDC).

I think if you step back, study a wiring diagram and develop a logical test plan, you can deduce the source of your problem. You might what to START with the alternator/rectifier tests because they are easy to do and don't require touching any of the other wiring on the tractor.

Good luck, a man of your measure should not be licked by this problem!

I have a 1650 Cub Cadet built in 1979 and I would like to know what brand of tires are supposed to be used on the front and back ? Also, where can I get a set of new ones ? Any help anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated !! Thanks !!

Paul

PAUL - Your CC probably had Good Year tires on it from the factory in Louisville, KY. But Firestone & B.F. Goodrich were also used.

Good Year and Firestone still makes some sizes of lawn & garden tractor tires. You might do an internet search. Miller Tire would be a good place to start.

You probably will not be able to match the same brand and tread design as was installed at the factory.

ihrotate.gif

SO, whats the forums ideas for repair on the frame crack in my CCO I posted the pic about, and also the battery box area.
ROD

RODNEY - You have to weld the crack. It's a common repair on the '61/'63 vntage tractors. Even the prototypes had frames break. That's why the #70/100's went to a full length steel frame!

I wouldn't do anything with the battery box. Looks like it has a full size car battery in it. You'll want that!

Dennis,
Should I take apart and weld from both sides with wire welder? The battery box was cut and bent over probably for auto battery.Right now has L/G battery in it.Start great!!!!
ROD

So I ordered a new solenoid for my 782 for $15.99 shipped, and am hoping that is my problem. I was wondering where the brake switch is located? I could not see anything underneath that looked like, when the brake was depressed, that it pushed on a switch.

Jeff G: The brake switch and actuator are called out in the photo below. They should both be visible when you remove your tunnel cover. The actuator is often found broken off at the rock shaft because it tends to trap dirt and moisture. The brake/neutral/safety switch is often by-passed when this takes place.

225531.jpg

Hope this helps.

RODNEY - Yes, disassembly is required for a good repair. I know pic's have been posted of reinforcements made to those crack prone areas. Welding on both sides is recommended, then grind the welds smooth, repaint and they disappear.

hello, i have a k301 going into a 71, rebuilt the engine and it runs great with lots of power but was noisy like the engine was loose. almost like a knocking sound but not steady like a loos rod. tore the engine back down and could'nt find anything wrong. when i spin the engine by hand with the rod out i still hear this noise. if i hold the crankshaft still i can move the cam. the gears don't mesh properly from the camshaft to the crankshaft and i was wondering if there should be a little play there? i read some comments on shimming the cam and camshaft jacking but i'm not shure if changing the shims will help. any ideas or suggestions would be great and thanks to everyone who responds.
Jesse

Hey guys, I need some advice on my Cub 126 12hp, lately when I'm about 35 minutes into mowing the lawn the engine will just die, if I immediately try and start it, the engine will just backfire, if I let if sit for a few minutes it fires right up and runs great and I can finish mowing which is about 15 more minutes. I've had the tractor for about 5 years now and this has happened twice in the last 3 times that I've mowed. Could it be something like a spark plug, condenser, coil or points ?

Mike P., while it is not apples to apples.. just last week I found my 73 not charging and to make a long story short. I found no headlights as there wasn't any power being supplied due to a broken "BAT" wire IN the HARNESS! I found it using a continuity tester and the wiring diagram from this site (Thanks R. Bedell) The point I'm trying to make is that if you move the wiring harness and apparantly change a connection, consider testing like I did when the connection is broken to help zero in on the problem circuit. hih...

I am trying to get a K301 running that I just went through. I decarboned the head, lapped and adjusted the valves. All grounds are good and everything ohmed out fine for continuity. I static timed it and it still wants to backfire out of the carb. It has great compression to the point it won't hardly spin with the spark plug in.

What else should I check? I've gone over it in my mind until my eyes are crossing and can't figure this one out. I did get it running briefly yesterday and it ran fine for 10 seconds or so. It started creeping (with the pedal locked down) so I had to shut it down. I did find the wire to the points had an "iffy" connection so I just replaced it back to the coil. The carb has been gone through as well and should be fine.

Any and all will be appreciated.

Wayne..just a quick observation...you note high compression at start up to a point nearing no spin by the starter. You sure the ACR mechanism is working properly, if this is a recent problem, is the exhaust valve set properly? It hangs open a bit till the starter is up to speed.

Latest posts

Back