• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 10, 2016

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rob-

Yep, I have a couple I could give the same name but this ole 124 has been a very dependable tractor with little trouble. I would try the synthetic oil but this old guy knocks as much as it smokes. I expect something to go wrong every time I crank it up but it's like the energizer bunny and just keeps going and...

Wayne - I'm still betting it ain't the V/R. My bets on it being the battery. I'd still put a meter on it to see what's happening after it's warmed up and the Amp meter has settled into the slight left of O position. Let us know the volt reading you get, and also what your rpm's are at idle. And then push the throttle up and let us know the volts. If you have no change in volts between idle and throttle then I agree it's probably the V/R, but if you're getting 13.8 at half to full throttle I really doubt it's the V/R

Kraig (and Sal Manaro): 125 VS 122 mowing decks. Didn't the 122 use what I call the "pin on" deck and the 125 use the Quick Attach?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Attachments

• 1a_scratchhead.gif
    1a_scratchhead.gif
    774 bytes · Views: 120
Frank, yes. The "pin on" refers to how the deck attaches to the sub-frame. The sub-frame from the pin on deck bolts onto the tractor, it will just as easily bolt onto a Quick Attach narrow frame as it will to a bolt on narrow frame. And "Quick Attach" in this case can refer to both the mower deck to sub-frame connection and sub-frame to tractor connection.
dizzy.gif

Attachments

• dizzy.gif
    dizzy.gif
    367 bytes · Views: 103
I have a question about the mechanical PTO on my 73. The last time I mowed with it everything worked fine...I disengaged the deck when I finished up and parked it in the garage. When I tried mowing again a week later the deck would not engage. After inspection I noticed the fiber button apparently broke off the paddle at some point. Since there was no pressure on the PTO due to the missing button, I'm wondering why the deck won't engage by default? Does this indicate I have a faulty PTO also?

Broken button has most likely also damaged spring or fingers, rebuild of clutch probably in order.....

Steve S - I agree with Steve B, Mr. Plow - but it could also be the other way around. The steel button or fingers could have damaged/broke the fiber button.

You should be able to look at the PTO clutch when the tractor is running. If you see the PTO assembly rotating (everything inside the basket pulley) then the PTO is basically operating, and as long as you have a belt on the pulley going over your mule drive to the deck, and the belt on the deck pulleys, then the deck should be spinning.

If the PTO assembly isn't rotating when the engine is running, and there is no fiber button pushing on the steel button, then you definitely have something wrong with the PTO clutch assembly, and you almost certainly need a rebuild.

There's no telling what's wrong until you get a closer look while it's still mounted to the tractor BUT with the engine NOT RUNNING. I'd remove the grill so you'll be able to get a good look. There should be 3 ear type items that slide into the steel center button. If they have come out then you're spring may have broken, or the steel button itself may have failed.

Most likely you'll still have to remove and disassemble the PTO clutch before you can really tell what's gone wrong. The Service Manual will help you a lot but you'll have to inspect the parts to decide what may be bad. I'd probably just get a complete PTO Clutch rebuild kit, and also a new PTO bearing and locking collar while you have it off. Just as well do the entire clutch and bearing and it should be good for another 20, no 30-40 maybe even 50 years.

Steve S.-

A couple of other things to consider are the six set screws that hold the pto onto the bearing. There should be two in each of the 3 holes, a very short one and a longer pointed one. This is, of course if they haven't come out or a PO hasn't changed the plan here. They may very well need soaking with PB Blaster or the like to aid in removal. Also, once you have the clutch disassembled be sure and resurface the pressure plates before reassembly. This step helps a lot with the new clutch disc I hope you're planning to replace.

It's not a hard job but can be a little frustrating and like Harry says, it should give you many years of trouble free use with the proper adjustments.

The weather finally cooperated today, and we were able to get to my buddies new house and mow, take some brush and plow the garden in preparation to till it, the next time the weather cooperates.

This time I had some time to take a few pictures...

Here is the area before, just after mowing the yard:

304305.jpg

After being turned over:

304306.jpg

Here is the last furrow:

304307.jpg

I think it's a good start. Now that everything is working correctly, I think it's doing a good job.

Attachments

• 304305.jpg
    304305.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 304306.jpg
    304306.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 304307.jpg
    304307.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 304305.jpg
    304305.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 304306.jpg
    304306.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 304307.jpg
    304307.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 111
Thanks for the input, everyone. I also noticed the rod connecting the paddle to the turnbuckle got bent somehow near the hooked end...maybe a large stick got lodged in there somehow while mowing. Despite cleanup efforts there was a significant amount of yard trash (sticks, hickory nuts, corn cobs, etc.) when I mowed the first time. I didn't notice any problems at the time but that's the only explanation I can think of.

Latest posts

Back