• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 10, 2016

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danderson

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Doug Anderson
Any K301 head gasket I've gotten was metal. I got a Kohler gasket for a K161 and now they're a graphite composite gasket. Parts guy said that's all they make for the 161. Anyone use one before?

Doug A.
No, they are not now graphite.
They used to be YEARS ago.
He sold you new old stock.
As far as I know, you can't buy them new any more, only NOS.
I Bought a batch last winter from an old Kohler dealer in Texas.
304244.jpg

Attachments

• 304244.jpg
    304244.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 116
  • 304244.jpg
    304244.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 117
Hey Guys - there's a thread titled "Basic Refurb" under the Refurbish and Restoration thread, that you may have missed. It's got a lot of good details about why you don't want a ball pean hammer lying around when you're installing a hydro fan onto a 1x9 driveshaft. Is it hard or easy to install the snap ring on the fan hub. Yellow paint doesn't cover well unless you have a white paint base. And most recently - what to do if your 1x9 drivshift coupler may be just starting to hit the hydro oil filter (details still to come).

Charlie wanted the details on everything posted here on the Main Forum since there seemed to be a lot of good info that would be missed. I'm hoping Mike Frade will get us the details on his drive shaft fix, and maybe we could have a paint fight as well.

I was thinking of starting an argument about why you don't need to use paint primer. If IH didn't why do I need too? There are a lot of 40-50 year old units around that the original paint is still sticking to, and they have no base coat primer. I will say if you use white primer as a base coat (or any white for that matter) the final yellow top coat paint will certainly provide a lot better coverage from a lot less paint.

So post up here guys. Lets get these details out to everyone's attention.

News to me, LOL
I got a 100 2 months ago, and it's about time to get more, so I'll see what they send me, and report back.
thumbsup_old.gif

Attachments

• thumbsup_old.gif
    thumbsup_old.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 118
Rebuild kit I just bought brand new from Kohler for my M18 had graphite composite gaskets as well. Looks like Kohler has switched back to the graphite versions on at least some kits......

Looks just like gasket in Charlies post below....

Doug A.
In this case, forget the manual, LOL

We don't soak nothin on Cubs these days.
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    419 bytes · Views: 125
You can see the head gasket under the label.....

304252.jpg

Attachments

• 304252.jpg
    304252.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 304252.jpg
    304252.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 134
Jerry p. from Ga. wanted pics of Gannon that was converted to use on a SGT, so here they are.
304256.jpg

304257.jpg

304258.jpg

304259.jpg

Attachments

• 304259.jpg
    304259.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 304258.jpg
    304258.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 162
  • 304257.jpg
    304257.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 131
  • 304256.jpg
    304256.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 304257.jpg
    304257.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 304256.jpg
    304256.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 304259.jpg
    304259.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 304258.jpg
    304258.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 133
Charlie, cool Scout/Cub Cadet add!
greenthumb.gif
Do you by chance have a full resolution version you could email to me?
happy.gif
bouncy.gif
happy.gif
bouncy.gif

Attachments

• bouncy.gif
    bouncy.gif
    2 KB · Views: 105
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 112
  • bouncy.gif
    bouncy.gif
    2 KB · Views: 111
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 109
  • greenthumb.gif
    greenthumb.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 114
  • greenthumb.gif
    greenthumb.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 127
I was mowing with ole Smokey (124) a while ago and I noticed the ammeter doing strange things. When it first starts the needle buries to the right. After a few minutes it starts bouncing back and forth between O and C. It never settles or stays in one place. Then, after a while it shows a slight discharge and stays about one notch to the left of center or O. It has a good battery but I have to charge it after several starts. It's as if it has a drain that only occurs after running a while.

Does this ring any bells with anyone as to what I might be dealing with? I thought about just swapping the v/r with another one of the 124s here to see what that did. I haven't checked the starter/gen yet.

TIA

Wayne - it doesn't ring any bells to me, but the symptoms you describe sound like the battery ain't quite as good as you think. I believe the key to your symptoms is that initial start where the needle is buried to the right. That's my WAG and I'm sticking to it.
bash.gif

Attachments

• bash.gif
    bash.gif
    904 bytes · Views: 111
Wayne,

My 149 was doing that when I got it. The SG had been replaced by the PO. I set the air gaps and it went away.

Jim

Jim: SG or VR?
happy.gif

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 104
Thanks Jim-

I plan on trying another v/r just to see what it does.

Frank-

I wondered about that as well but figured Jim meant the v/r since, as far as I'm aware, there's no air gap to adjust in the s/g.

Harry-

The battery's just fine but thanks anyway.

Wayne,

It appears most of us have a cub we refer to as Old smokey! I have a 1450 that I gave that nickname to. Funny thing is last fall I switched the old gal over to synthetic motor oil to ease winter starting and she hardly smokes at all, and does not use oil either! Coincidence, luck, ready to blow who knows. Just thought I would share that experience with you.

Back