• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 04, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does any one know if it possible to put a 18hp Kohler command out of a 2185 cub in a 1250 cub? and if so how much work is it

1a_scratchhead.gif

Well, got an engine back from having it bored, etc and noticed some missing material around the exhaust pipe. I think it's ok but curious if it can be built back up by some means. Maybe I'm just SOL - any thoughts? Thanks

Note missing metal around lower portion of exhaust pipe
258205.jpg

Dennis - I understood the 348 was a good performance engine but with an unknown life expectancy (several were short). I thought the 409 had a better life expectancy, but caused alot of rearend and some tranny failures, which could also be why the engine survived longer. I hadn't heard of them running up to 6000 rpms tho. Alot of things come apart at that range. Backing up tho - and to stay on topic - have you known anyone using a lop sided piston (like you mention for the 348/409) in a CC Kohler K? Seems to me except for the twist you mention it could be a method to offset the imbalance when you thro away the balance gears. Any thoughts on that (especially since my K341 still has them)?

Ronald B - well if that flat tire is shot and you still didn't get your wheels off yet, then you just as well drive around on it. It's probably the easiest method to break the bearing loose from the spindle.

Bill J - ok, come on and tell us the truth. You did try the Bon Ami and the engine siezed!!!!! (Only way I'm gonna believe otherwise is a video attached here, and no I ain't from Missoura).

Follow up on the block issue. This is an early O block and the casting in general is pretty rough. Given that there doesn't appear to be a clean break on the metal is it even remotely possible this thing came out of the factory that bad? I don't have anything to compare it to so thought I would at least ask.

Keith O - ya I know how it's spelled, but isn't that how you say it? I know you gotta be shown everything down there. Even says so on your license plate.
(by the way, I grew up along side the Missouri River up north, and we pronounce it as if it ends in a "y")

Harry, I think the 'a' sound must come from Kansas City, but your right about the show me part. I want to see what those spindles and wheels look like because that's how my 1650 was when I bought it. The bearings wasted both wheels. The PO had new cheap bearings stuffed in the wheels with some kind of duct tape. I bought a new set of bearings from the Case IH store in town and they lasted 2 days and fell apart luckily not tearing up my new wheels and spindles. I found a good set from one of the sponsors on this forum.

Keith - probably so, about the "a" coming from the Kansas City side. I got relatives in Nebraski that used to also say it with the "a". (That "i" is just my joking way for Nebraska). Now, about the wheels/bearing, I don't think I've seen it happen before on a wife frame unit that I recall. Seen it several times on the narrow frame units. Easy enough to tell cause the wheel will be cambered way out one way or the other, and usually if you grab hold of it you can rock it back and forth on the spindle a good inch or more. It usually ruins the spindle, has a big ole cut in it. I really wish IH would'a use the wheels with grease zerks, but if you pack alot of grease inside the wheel itself you'll usually be good for along time. I still like to grease the bearings once a year. Dang spindles are expensive, and good wheels are to for that matter.

HARRY - The rearend & tranny failures were probably from the torque the 409's made. Not really the fault of the engine. The 348 & 409 were originally truck engines when Chevy designed them. Normal high RPM for that use was 3000-3500 RPM. The later 366/427's would run up to 4000 and maybe just a bit more.

But the limited use the 409's saw on drag strips and early NASCAR they probably ran 6000 RPM. Back then they probably made a whopping 400-450 HP. Now the NASCAR small blocks, 360 CID I think their limit is, make 900.

CHARLIE - I bought this switch about 6-7 yrs ago from one of my local dealers. I knew I'd need it, it did come with a new key, which luckily fit my 72 5-6 yrs ago. Dad must have broke the key off with his knee and replaced it with a small toggle switch on the top surface of the dash on the 70. Was handy, but would be a deduct for a 100-point restoration so it has to go.

Latest posts

Back