Archive through May 01, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey KENtuck, better hook your Cub to your boat trailer, weather map looks ugley down your way.
uhoh.gif

Tiller? Barely. Snowthrower? No. 8-inch plow? Yes. If you need to do all those things, you'd be better off with the 1250, as gear drives are pretty sucky with a snowthrower...BTDT.

Bruce - Just drop a bigger engine in the 129. I'm getting ready to put my 129 back inside and maybe rebuild the K301.

Don - My shop is 350sqft bigger than my house but it's still to small.
Was starting to move some stuff around when I decided to move my 5" fire hydrant outside. That was ALL that got moved today. Then a guy from around where I use to live brought a tractor muffler/stack to get welded together.

Come'on down you only have to go through one state to get here. It's closer than you think ;)
189522.jpg

Kitchen ceiling is leaking ... I wonder why ???

Jerry - If you get tired of that Red thing let me know ... you don't have to go through any extra states !

I like my 18/2082 <font size="-2">damn plastic</font> you can't beat a twin with power steering !

Ok, most people think I should look at an 82 series to cut about 2 acres and snowblow a 200 ft drive. A couple have mentioned a 1x9 but Im not familiar with that model. It sounds as if parts are still available for most of the cub models, correct?

KentuckyKen: I dont really have my wife trained to clear the snow. She does what she wants. Luckily, she choses to clear the drive when she can. Some of the bigger storms of 7+ inches she still leaves for me.

Dennis, small world! My dad started at East Moline and only came to Waukesha as a transfer. We still have relatives in the Quad Cities area. My cousin farms down there, but I think they use Deere.

Been away from the forum for awhile, but I've been keeping somewhat up to date. Does anyone have any pictures or any ideas for front suitcase weights for a 147? I'm looking for something that will work with the mower deck and mule drive on. I am loosing my steering on the inclines. Thanks, Greg

Here's one of those Who Made It things.
An old dealer swears they bought them from Brinly (He Thinks) and put them on 70/100's.
189524.jpg

189525.jpg

Allen... I am a 1x9 advocate but then I have never owened an 82 series, which is a more advanced and stronger but not necesarily better built. I may be wrong but I believe the 149 will be cheaper and easier to aquirer I am not sure about parts price for repair between the two. but the 149 is simpler to maintain.
Heres my .02 on tractor to set up 149/hydraulic lift and lights add a 48/50 inch deck, QA42 snowblower, rear wheel wieghts, snow cab (for the misses), and for summer a 2A tiller.

Charlie,
From what I can see, the blade look's similar to one made by Kasco Manufacturing Co. Inc., of Shelbyville, IN. ( www.kascomfg.com ). They got started in 1965 and at one time made front blades and other stuff for garden tractors and for landscaping. I bought one of their NOS blades at a farm auction one time that had a mount for a wide frame Cub Cadet. The blade looked like that, and from what I gather, the blades were the same and like IH, used different mounts for what ever tractor they were used on. I gave that blade to a friend and years later got it back along with the 1450 he used it on. I tried then to get some information about the blades from the company, but never received a reply back from them. There is nothing like that in their product line now.

THANKS Paul,
After all these years, it still never ceases to amaze me at the amount of information you and others have for us.
It's GREATLY APPRECIATED.
greenthumb.gif

189530.jpg
189531.jpg

Not much accomplished yesterday. I did remove the clutch. I thought the seal was directly behind but faced the field coil. The covering of what I found appears to be dry and flaking away. Picture enclosed. Is what I see acceptable? Does it too need replacing? Stud bolts are difficult as has been advised. Soaking them with liquid wrench. Big rain today. As an aside, where is the oil pan bolt supposed to be? Is it supposed to be resting on the frame?

KentuckyKen,
The 12 horse motor in the 129 is on its last rebuild (.030) but runs well. Also fitted it with a hydraulic lift that came off a parts 1650. The lift came in handy, as the snow blower saw nearly daily use for nearly a month trying to cope with the triple blizzards we had in December and twice in February. K321 and K341 cub spec Kohlers are hard to come by around here, the pullers tend to snap them up. Might just hot rod my spare K301 block a little with relief work, hotter cam, and some porting/polishing, etc. if something bad happens to the current power plant.

Charlie - Measure the width between the mounting tabs. There up to the first cross piece looks like what came on my B10, I'd like to see if it's the same mounting width.
I like the 4x4 chassis you got too
biggrin.gif

Gary - The engine mounting bolts for the PTO side of the engine are above the axle. You have to jack it up off the ground and then push the axle down on one side at a time to get to them.

You said something the other day that bothered me and still does. You said it was "spraying" oil out. There's no pressure for it to spray other than crankcase pressure. I don't think it would spray.

You said the hydraulic quick coupler was leaking some too I believe. You could try tightening them up or as Donald hit on but didn't explain, take them off and use <u>Teflon tape</u> on the threads.
Teflon tape will seal the threads BUT be careful using it. Make one wrap around the male end of the line with a little overlap. Do Not let it get over the end where it will get inside of the line. You wrap it in the same direction as if it was a nut you are screwing on the line, that way it doesn't un-wrap as you put it back together.

Gary - Thinking a little more (it hurt too!) I came up with this scenario thinking back to my auto engine days. If the oil is pushing out past the crank seal and "spraying" like you said I would check the crankcase breather. If it's plugged up then the pressure will take the next easiest way out. Kinda like a car's PVC, they will cause a valve cover gasket to leak when they are bad.

Bruce - I can't find spare engines around here either. A friend of mine came up with 2 push around blowers like they have now for clearing parking lots or blowing leaves. They had 14 Kohlers on them and I begged him to sell me one which it didn't. They've been sitting for 7 years in his junk pile behind his barn
bash.gif

It's like 400 small block Chevy's. Around here the roundy round guys snatched'em all up.

Charlie, That looks like a 42" AC/Simplicity blade. Judging from the upright lift arm, produced from the early seventy's on up. The older ones have the lift arm angeled back toward the tractor.

Gary-

I would clean up that PTO clutch coil and use some epoxy or high-temp RTV to seal that back up again.

Also, this would be a good time to do the engine cradle mod in the FAQ and replace your engine mounts because those oil-soaked mounts are not going to last.

MATT G. - re: Lucas' questions about an 86. With a creeper it would "MAYBE" run a small tiller, NO extensions so I'd say "NO". A hydro is still the only tractor for running a tiller. QA-36 snow blower I'd say "Yes" in light snow maybe 3-5 inches deep. I wouldn't attempt a QA-42 however. I ran a QA-36 with my 72 for several winters with the K181 installed and NO creeper, sometimes in snow 8-10 inches deep. Slow going but my drive was small, only 80 ft by 20 ft. The K241 was a big improvement. First pass when you had to take a full swath was slow but after that you could take whatever the engine could handle. The engine clutch on these CC's doesn't seem to mind slipping within reason. The 8 inch plow is a nice size for an 86. I used my K181 equipped 72 with my 10" plow a LOT but was weight & traction limited. With more weigh & the Firestone 23-8.50's the K241 was a much better plowing tractor. I think the 86 had a slower 2ng gear which would be a Plus compared to my 72.

ALLEN S. - Most of my family is still around the Q-C's too. I was on IH's Master recall list also. I'd finally found a decent job and I get a call asking if I wanted to work in Ft. Wayne. It wasn't a hard decision to say NO.

KEN - My Onan filter # is 122-0645. I was close on my "guesses"....yeah right! The WIX site gives two potential numbers. I think I'll stick with my expensive Onan filter from the dealer. Spec's on both WIX filters look the same, not sure why they'd have two different numbers. I crossed the Onan number and looked up CC 982/984/986. My tractor is actually a 986 if I remember right, not the D-436 powered FARMALL tractor but the 982 w/steering brakes, rear PTO & Cat. O 3-pt.

Lucas J.
This is an 86 with the correct muffler (which is no longer available I don't believe). The muffler looks like the "pepper pot" used on the 100 and some others, without the holes but with a pipe extension. That was done because the muffler is behind the air cleaner and if the "pepper pot" was used it dumps hot exhaust into the back of the air cleaner........not the best thing to do for good engine performance.
189542.jpg

189543.jpg

189544.jpg

189545.jpg

Allen Sill
1X9 = 129, 149, 169. The "X" is just used to denote the different models within the same series of tractors (1x2/3 = 102, 122, 123; 1X4 = 104, 124), etc, etc.

Paul B. That style of muffler was also used on the MF10 garden tractors and may still be available through a Massey Ferguson dealer or small engine shop. I'll have to check.

Gotta go check why the van won't start for Angel and the then may be off to an auction later on. Just too dang busy lately...

Latest posts

Back