• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 01, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys if a person were looking to buy a cub to use around the house with a snow blade,mower,trailer to haul wood,plow and tiller for the garden and mabey a plowday.any body have ideas whats the best cub?what model would you cub pros suggest.

i wonder how much mmo is too much for the 71 fuel tank......say if it was full of gas. started to smoke a little more, kinda white/blue smoke. i'am guessing that the mmo was doing its work. took 71 cubbie down to the country store today after adding the mmo. was about a 3 mile round trip. was a nice day for it. i always get a thums-up, or a "hey, what year is that?" i gather thats it is a good idea to run mmo regularly. yup, having a hobbie that benefits me is good. just a little smoke. but smokes more now with the mmo. knowing the tank size of the 71, how much mmo do you use per tank full? i'am new to the mmo and seen it in the faq. 71 cibbie does get a toutch weaker after a run like todays, but its only a toutch.

Richard P
The "L" terminal on a VR is for LOAD and was used to provide power to the ignition switch. It was not used for the lights.

I'm not sure what kind of manual you posted about the generators, but it is correct, most generators need to be polarized. HOWEVER, a generator and a starter generator, or more correctly motor generator, are not the same thing. It's kinda like comparing apples and oranges, they are both fruit, but they are not the same. A starter generator system is self polarizing does not have to be polarized

tkeefe,
Just adding my .02 but i found that not only is the service manual nice for first time gear tear down.
I also used the exploded parts views. The parts views helped visualize how it went together and as helpful, it told me the name of some parts I didn't know.
I dismantled my 128 gears (first time in any transmission) last week.
Waiting on parts for reassembly.

other helpful tip if you have the space. I laid out the parts on long bench in order they come off/out. And as you've already started pics to keep things in memory.
May your damage be less than mine.
PO slammed it into 2nd while rolling backwards, broken teeth on two gears, bent main shaft, and broken shifting fork.
charles,

I am STILL trying to get a grip on the electrical issues that some are having. My 128 has been garage/shed kept since new, except for a couple months that my brother had it. I am currently running the original S/G(never been opened),V/R,Ignition switch, safety/clutch start switch, and 75% of the original wiring harness.
I guess I am spoilled, having a cub kept under cover all its life.
My 147 is solid, but the wiring is shot. As it has sat outside for 2 years before I got it. My thinking is that, if ya get a cub that has "sat out". The first thing on the "get her going" would be a new wiring harness.......Bad/Poor connections can cause alot of replacing parts and still having the same problem.

Lucas C. if i where doing that again i would look for a good running hydro 129 or 147/149 . hmmm maybe i should trade 1 of my gear drives for a hydro
dunno.gif
naw just add a hydro.

Paul, This is the manual. Polarization is on page 25.
150958.jpg

I'm NOT saying anyone is wrong or incorrect. I guess because for the price of a IH voltage regulator or starter generator one could purchase a tractor, ruff as it will be, I don't have a problem spending the time it takes to touch a jumper across two terminals.

Lucas; To have a tractor do all those jobs probally i would look for a 147 169 1450 1650.
Or one of each. Definitely one with a hydrostatic transmission.

I would add a 149 to the list below. Dad has had one of his 149's for 31 years and done all of those jobs and more. I think the 149 or any of the 14hp (147, 149, 1450) (We haven't had a 147)) are about the best "everyday" tractors built. They have plenty of power to everything you ask, without being as harsh to run as the 16hp single cylinder. the red 682,782, or 982 would also be a good choice. (Sorry kinda partial to the wideframes)

Back