• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 01, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dale Its funny you said " weld cast iron". I was just welding my exhaust manifold on my truck, got pulled over today it was to loud. Anyway from what I have heard if you heat it with a torch then weld it it works good. Hopefully you have a mig welder. I tried messing around with a cold dirty piece of cast before it's nothing like steel but it can be done.

Tim - You don't weld cast iron with a freakin MIG! That is unless you buy a $2000 spool of wire designed for welding cast iron.

ken I never said it was the best or proper way to do it. I have welded cast this way and it held strong. The point I am trying to make is that it will stick togeather. Individual results may vary. If it doesnt work a half hour of your time will be wasted along with an allready broken block.

Yup, still alive!
Pulled a bad one and had a meltdoun on a starter/gen on the 149. Would anyone have a modern crossover to the replacement bearings???

Went looking for Pat on Sunday. Could not find him and his 73 anywhere. Finally found them here. I did not see this in the attachment guide!
56061.jpg

The "BUCK BROTHRS" consignment auction is this weekend May 6th out in Hampshire, Illinois. Usually have lot-o-Kubota diesels there, cheap!

Tim - Your profile says that you're an electrician ... let's see now, How about I tell someone to wire their 200 amp service with 16ga wire. It'll work for a while.

Why spend the time and trouble to cobble up a mess that won't work and in the long run cost twice as much for someone that knows how to make a repair to undo your wasted mess and do it right?
I've made more money cleaning off ppls welding attempts and some were from actual welding shops and then doing it right than I would have made just for the repair itself if not fooled with.

Pic 1 & 2 came from a welding shop that took 3 weeks to do this CRAP! with a MIG. See the crack they left ... I got paid good for cleaning off their CRAP! then welding it right with a TIG.
Pic 3 was welded at another welding shop. As you can see they tried brazing it and arc welding it. I got paid good again for cleaning off their CRAP! and fitting it correctly and welding it with a cast iron acceteylene welding rod.
If you're going to do something , do it right or go watch soap operas.
56067.jpg

This is some of my work done correctly.
56068.jpg

The head was Bob's (da REV) and someone wanted to fix it for him there in Montana with JBWeld. People wonder why I hate that name so much... I fixed it the right way.
56069.jpg

56070.jpg

Hey guys was a sleeve hitch or 3 point hitch a factory option on a 1250?
bouncy.gif
Got the 95 electric tore down today. I wont get it painted until winter. The wiring need a little repair and the blades need to be replaced. The blades are both different and wore out. Anybody know the part numbers?
bash.gif
The new tubes go in the tires tommorow and the wiring will be done.
talker.gif
With gas at three bucks a gallon it will be alot cheaper to run.
thumbsup.gif

ken I am not here to debate who is right or wrong about what, I am just relaying my personal experiences. If welding a block doesn't work then yes it should be fixed properly. I have tried it and it has bought me some time but it is hack I agree. And yes I am an Electrician and I never claimed to be a certified welder nor did I intentionally give false information.

Tom, The usual guys will be their on Sunday. Hope to see you, bring your trailer.

Chip,
If its hot you might need to clean the engine. The shroud needs to be removed for a proper cleaning. Its also possible that the carburetor is running lean. You could turn the top adjusting screw out a quarter turn. It wouldn't hurt to clean the valves, just change the oil right after you do so the cleaning chemicals don't say in the crankcase.

Thanks Charlie, Found the IH numbers on your lookup but the parts house here hates going to that much trouble.
Am having a bad time keeping the hydro lever tight on the shaft, Has anyone else tried drilling a deep dimple in the shaft so that it cannot slip???

I feel sorry for anyone who has to weld too much cast iron. Just went to the weld supply the other day and they wanted $37.00 a lb. for nickle rod
eek.gif
yikes.gif
. The funny part was that there was next to no price difference between Ni 55 and Ni 99. Don't worry, this was not an engine related, just a little mower deck maintenance. Had to take it to work though, they have a nice Miller dial arc and I only have access to a Lincoln AC buzz box

JB - Weld it ;) Couldn't resist Jerry B.
Take the shaft out and stipple it with a punch 'n hammer around the diameter where the clamp goes. Poor man's knurling ;)

Brian - I've done many a repair with a 225AC buzz. I repaired a D4 Cat blade with one. Don't knock'em. It's not the machine , it's the hand on the rod holder that makes the difference. I kept our 1100 acre farm and other's farms going with one for years.

I guess the rods you priced reflects the metal used in them since China has driven up all material cost. I heard copper is being stolen out of the mines because of the rising cost from China's explosion of industry. It's only fair that they have their turn at it but it comes at a bad time with the way supplies are getting low and the air getting bad. (Short detail version)

They've had a couple thousand years more time to do it than we did ... kinda p's me off they have to wait til now.

<font size="-1">Terry Busch said:
If its hot you might need to clean the engine. The shroud needs to be removed for a proper cleaning. Its also possible that the carburetor is running lean. You could turn the top adjusting screw out a quarter turn. It wouldn't hurt to clean the valves, just change the oil right after you do so the cleaning chemicals don't say in the crankcase.</font>

Terry -
Thanks for the helpful and useful advise. I'm pretty mechanically inclined for a lawyer-type, but still have much to learn about these engines. I'll try your first two suggestions, then the third if I have to. So spraying penetrating oil would contaminate the crankcase oil? You think a good dose of Cerma would keep the valves from sticking? What about any other oil or fuel additives?

Thanks,
Chip

Latest posts

Back