• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 31, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rob Hampshire

I think if I use a piece of pipe I should be able to bring the bend back . I have propane heat to hit the steal. I just think my biggest problem is me welding the sleeve back in. I will get some one to weld it for me.I think everbody should have a loder . My wife likes the laoder when I transport mulch and fertilizer around for her plants.Half the fun owning one Cub is having one for each task.Thanks to Kraig and Steve B i can now build a tow Cub attachment for my 149 and 1512 Diesel.
sorry.gif
lol

Charlie "Digger" Proctor
Well , I did not tell you to move more north than me .Sell and come to where you can live ,enjoying Cubs more .We are getting snow today , but it will be gone by 6 am. Most days now are over 56 temp and I like that (no flies).
Charlie I will visit you and Kraig and Denny for a day , in two years , GOD willing . IT would be fun time for me .

Don T., why wait two years, head out later this spring, might be best to wait until May as this winter doesn't seem to want to end.

I posted some snow/fog photos in the Sandbox but seeing that Charlie posted some here, here's a few other's of mine from this morning. First one is of the road by my property the second is of a train bridge that is near my property.

223317.jpg

223318.jpg

KRAIG - No fog around here, but clouded up after day break and the grass is about HALF WHITE now.

Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos"
would love to spend a day with you ! not sure I could keep up lol.My wife told me when she is 60 we can travel.I will have my truck and fiver ready for the trip.I will leave here at her retire day of April 28Th. that would mean May, my birth day is the ninth of May so .I might stay here and that would allow for some barbie weather up your way ? LOL digger said pull your rig in a building and I`ll get you power. Thanks guys I will have a grand 3 months touring . I , We plan to see the big hole lol. and the central US . She wants to see saddle horse country with all them picket fences. Me if I can find some Y & W I will have pictures aand a smile.

By Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos"
You do take great photos and the bridge is awesome !
worthy.gif

Kraig that wall of fog at the bridge is cool!!

We have a mix of snow & rain in northern NJ today. An inch+ of white on the ground none on the driveway.

Got some Cub work for the weekend...Switch out winter tires for my turfs on one 169 and install the replacement brake caliper, swap a head on the 128 and try the redrill & tap on the bad one (could I be running too lean and therefore hot that I popped the plug?) , install a new battery (Advance Auto had a great sale $25 for a 300CCA L&G battery) grease everything up and get ready for spring!!!

Charles Z.
Sorry for the delay, it took me a while to find a NOS one for a measurement.
It measures exactly 4 7/8" wide.
PN/ IH-464521-R91
223338.jpg

I was out on the road when Charlie posted the kind codes so couldn't look up mine. Now that I'm back home, have some questions:

682 w/hydraulics - I thought that was a 782?
482 s/gd - What does "gd" mean?
782 (ccc made for IH) - What does that mean?

Just trying to understand the codes.

Thanks

Tom Hill,
We are practically neighbors,I live in Montague...
Picked up new parts for the 582.Carb and fuel pump kit and drive line parts.Can't wait to get this thing back together.
223342.jpg

Am I asking dumb questions again??? But you should be proud of me, Charlie, at least I tried the search engine first!

NormB:

w/hydraulics = front hydraulics-not the 782 lift.

Ya think that gd just might mean gear drive??

After the sale of Cub Cadet to MTD in 1981, the stand alone CCC subsidiary continued to supply IH Dealers with Red 82 Series Cub Cadets till the demise of IH in 1985. During this same time period, CCC only dealers sold the exact same 82 series Cub Cadets but painted yellow/white.

Myron B

Thanks for the info, Myron. Yea, the "gd" was a dumb question. But still don't understand the 682 w/hydraulics. If it's for the front, did they put a ported hydro in and control valve, and never hooked up the lift? Must not have been very many of them made!

Lewis, Are you going to bring the 582 to Danville? Just finished my electric lift today. (thanks to Charlie) Now I don't have to struggle lifting the plow. Hope it warms up so I can paint. See you there I hope.

Lucky Me! I found this L.S. Starrett item in an Antique Shop. Patent dates are: Apr. 13, 1897 and Mar. 28, 1905. It had a tag on it saying it is a speed indicator. When the shaft is rotated the dial in the center rotates. The tip on the end of the shaft has evidently been replaced. It has a wooden tip now, but I would suspect that it was originally rubber. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
223352.jpg

My 122 has started to smoke a little under heavy load and quick throttle up over the winter, could I just put a new set of STD rings in to make it last until I can afford to have it non-operational for a while while it gets a complete rebuild later on?

Did IH build any of the 582 specials?

Willam,

Starret calls it a speed indicator but it is more of an RPM counter. There were two different rubber tips that came with it. Each rotation of the dial is 100 RPM. To use it, one would place the indicator tip into the center drill mark on the end of a rotating shaft and count the number of revolutions on the dial in exactly 1 minutes time. 36 rotations would equal 3600 rpm. You can also count the number of dial revolutions for 10 seconds and multiply by 6 to obtain the shafts RPM.

I have one very similar to the one you have. I used it a couple times on different small engines setting the high rpm limit. They don't work well with our Cadets since you have to remove the grill and front pto to get at the crank shaft.

Google "Starret speed indicator" and you will find quite a bit of info about it. They were still in the Starret catalog a few years ago.

William,

Since Starret makes/made machinists' tools I'd bet a rubber wheel would have been attached and the instrument held against a rotating something or other thereby counting the rotations.

HEY!! I guessed at the above but have found the link that helps to describe the instrument. I'd bet different size wheels were used such that if you had a 1"circumference wheel you could measure Inches per minute/second and with a 1' circumference wheel measure feet per minute/second and with a 1 mile circumference wheel... oh scratch that!!!
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=16752#goto_threadtools
Any old time machinists out there to verify??

Latest posts

Back