• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 31, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kharvey

displayname
Kendal Harvey
Don T it will be real easy to get to the motor mount bolts now.

Don-

What happened? I bet you were lifting full buckets of wet dirt. At least it didn't break or looks that way. I'd definitely put a sqeeze on that channel. Did you just lose the roll pin out of the pivot pin? It looks like it could have been worse so.....

Good luck!

Seems the pin left and that is why the axle pin got loose and I lost the front wheels. I do have a small by 2.5" coiled roll pin to put back in. I might drill and put in a grove pin. The tractor is in the shop and will get repaired in the am. I have everything ready to put back. I think I will have to make a cub tow truck , just for these odd breakdowns.It will rain tomorrow so I will get the 129 repaired to use. This is all my fault and that is all i`am saying .

DON - I know what you mean about a "Cub Tow truck" Of my FIVE tractors the one it seems I have to tow the most is the 982, the ONLY hydro in the herd, always because of the stinking Onan engine's ignition system. (O-K, I make it sound worse than it is, I've towed it twice in ten years) The GD's that I have I never have to tow. And no matter what I tow the 982 with, I can never seem to go slow enough, I guess you have to tow a hydro with another hydro.

WAYNE - In the one pic of DON's it looks like the collar welded to the channel the axle pivots inside of ripped out of the channel.

Thanks Wayne, that sounds like a great starting point for the 782 and the "issues" I see so far with it. Biggest thing I need to do is finish up some of the jobs around here for the wife then I think it will be safe to bring it home. Kinda hard to work on it at the old man's place. No room in the shop since his corn planter is torn appart. So need to either wait for planting season to see the corn planter disappear or wait until the coast is clear at home.

Just wondering, is the in-line fuel filter on these tractors supposed to be "FULL" of fuel or are they normally only partly full? Mine on my 982 is only like 1/3 full at the most usually - didn't know if that was normal or if I should be crack'n the line and letting it fill up with fuel and then put back together. Will this create an air lock in the system ever?

I still think the cat is cool on the Cub. If only animals could talk! Great post Angel, nice to hear a 3rd party's opinion/take on situations. Even if I am LOST as to where it came from?
1a_scratchhead.gif
Nothing that kills a site like this than negative, disrespectful people/comments.
draw.gif

Dennis (and Don)-

I see that now in the pic showing the pin below the basket pulley. I didn't see it the first go round but it sure looks like the weld separated with the collar still on the pin. It won't be too bad to fix Don. Just put the collar back in with the pivot pin to position the collar and tack it well. Remove the pivot pin and weld it back up better than new. Just remember to get the roll pin hole position correct. I hope it didn't do too much bending of the channel. That part could take a little more time to get back right.

We all like pics...Here's a few. Neighbor asked if I could push a little gravel around for him.

223289.jpg

My shoulder feels a little bit better. Decided to use the manual lift "Round Fender 102" for this job.

223290.jpg

Done!!

223291.jpg

Wayne Shytle
Dennis F

having look at what happened over , you guys are correct as to what happened. I will have to put the pin back and weld up the bushing and then reinstall the axle and pin. I should replace the pin with a bolt to stop that kind of damage from happening again. All it took to do this damage was me backing up with a load of stone , the left front tire dropped in a hole and that sheared off the pin that held the axle pin in.Its not that hard to repair ,these tractors are well built . its a big job for me now to pull the 12k so I can put a bolt in where the pin was , but its the best repair I think.If the channel is bent I can pull it back in place with a bolt real easy. I will have to look in the am and see if I can get it repaired. We are to have rain for the next three days so I will have the 129 to work at. I will have to get someone to do the welding as I don`t trust my welding lol.

Dennis f
Cub tow truck is a thought I had today. Just a set of forks for the cat O that a tire can sit into so I can lift and move hydro tractors when they break down. I have a 123 and a 107 here that I would love to be able to move with out me having to lift them. I will give this some thought.

Mike Patterson

(I still think the cat is cool on the Cub. If only animals could talk! Great post Angel, nice to hear a 3rd party's opinion/take on situations. Even if I am LOST as to where it came from? Nothing that kills a site like this than negative, disrespectful people/comments )

I would like to add that the picture I posted of the rear of the swash plate , I did have permission to post. I ask the owner if I could ask the question about the back of the plate to see if what I thought was correct as to the bumps controlling forward and reverse speed. Dennis F answered my post and said yes those are ground off to control the speed. Since I never posted with out the permission of the owner , I don`t see what I did To cause a problem. Perhaps someone can fill me in , I seem to be lost as to who ,what, why what I did offended anyone.If someone can fill me in If I made a mistake please do so. I hate making the same mistake twice.

Later Don T
worthy.gif

DON - It may take a little "Blacksmithing" but the bushing should fit bak into the outside of the channel one way really well. But as the buching ripped out of the collar it probably pulled more steel from the channel with it and that is probably bent and needs some "massaging" to fit up properly again. Plus all the paint, rust, and grease has to be removed away from the weld area.

Once the bushing is welded back in and any ripping repaired and a good grd #5 or #8 3/4" bolt used to replace the bushing it should be at least as strong as it originally was.

If it was me I'd pull the engine and lift the frt of the 129 up so the whole tractor was almost verticle. Have to remove the battery too. But without your loader it would be pretty hard to do.

Don T.

Travis Schweizer made a tow truck for a sleeve hitch just like you described a few years (OK Many years) ago.

Maybe Kraig has some pics???

Dennis-

That's what I was thinking but didn't mention when I suggested putting it in with the pin for proper alignment. It should fall right in at one specific point which should also render the correct orientation of the roll pin hole. It may need a little "messaging" to give a better fit. Why would you go with a good grade 5 vs a grade 8?...just curios. Also, wouldn't it be a good idea to relieve the mid section of the bolt a little for grease penetration like the pivot pin has?

Don-

What is the yellow, square piece right above the pump pulley at the end of the pivot pin? I can't quite figure that one out.

Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow"

It would be nice to be able to rescue a hydro cub that has stopped working. I would like two pads for the rear tires to sit on and my cat O would lift the tractor .would not take much so the steering wheel would be tied not to move.I hope Kraig can find some pictures to post on Travis lift.
worthless.gif
worthy.gif

Denny F , Wayne S
I`am going to pull the 12 K now and have the bearing welded back in.I used a ruler and don`t see much if any damage at all.I will use a bolt ,but I have to pull the 12 out so I can get a bolt in from the back of the axle housing. There is just enuf room for a bolt head but not a nut and bolt head.I should be able to use my mini grinder and flatten out three place so the bolt will get grease . should work and be stronger I think.

Steve B., LOL, I posted photos of Travis' tow rig just the other day. I posted them HERE
happy.gif

WAYNE - I suggested a Grd #5 or #8 since the parent metal of the channel is probably just plain old 1018, maybe A36, so the bolt would be stronger than the metal welded to the bushings.

A Grd #8 is just a heat-treated Grd #5. I've turned a LOT of Grd #8's into grd #5's by welding on them.

I replaced the pivot pin in my 129 many yrs ago, I got one for the 72 at the time but never installed it. The 129 was wore worse than the 72 is even now. I think Don's on the right track, it doesn't take much clearance for grease to get between the bushings & pin where it does some good. In fact, I think one small spiral groove would work really good. Less metal removed the more contact area. If you could lock the bolt so it never turned or at least mark it a small shallow groove from a Dremel cut-off wheel would be big enough on just the TOP side of the bolt. You'd have to put another groove down onto the side of the bolt that lined up with the zerk.

Don-

You might want to remove/grind a litle of the head of the bolt on the pan side leaving enough for a decent grip in future removals. You might also consider drilling and using the roll pin as well as a nut if you use a grade 5. This would lock the pivot pin like Dennis mentioned. I'd check the width of the channel too and make sure the axle fits snug. It'll probably need a sqeeze or two.

Just .02 more for the morning. You'll be up and running in no time.

What you guys think is important to me ,I will put a channel for grease , thanks Denny for that.

223309.jpg

223310.jpg

223311.jpg

Just have to lift the 12 with my engine lift and install a bolt.Would that make it easy to draw in the bend and then weld it in ? I`am also thinking a grove pin ,it would not have to remove the 12 . Ideas ,I`am open to yours.

Charlie where are them snow pictures your talking about ? 2" really

Don T.
Looking out the back door,
223313.jpg

The bird bath pedestal is 36" tall,
223314.jpg

And the parking lot is white again! sigh
223315.jpg

Latest posts

Back