Archive through March 16, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thoffman

displayname
Tom Hoffman
Frank,
35 "Foot" pounds? Is that the proper conversion from the "Inch" pounds?

'Mornin', Tom: The manual I'm using calls for 25-30 fps (K241,K301,K321 & K341). I was going to buy new grade 8 bolts but when I cleaned these up I found they were stamped "ROCKFORD". Couldn't resist reusing them.
happy.gif

I thought Harry had broken the Forum last night!
happy.gif
happy.gif

Frank - guess I did break it. I posted a pic of my 169 engine and it's not here. I'll post it again so you can see just a little bit of my silver colored head (yes, it's hi-temp paint). I think your stud bolts are a little long (maybe 1/2") based on your pic but not sure. You can look at my pic and see see are probably just a little shorter than the height of the spark plug. Probably won't make whole lot of difference tho since they only are used to hold the heat shield. Now, I don't understand why you used 35fps torque on the head bolts when the manual calls 25-30fps. I know they are used head bolts but you have to run and re-torque anyway. Is it because they are "used" bolts you're putting just a little extra?
255473.jpg

Thanks Allen - I don't know why the paint color looks off (except maybe since the pic is from 10 years ago). Seems "digital images" may fade over time. It is the correct yellow and white paint.

Hydro harry:
In one of your earlier post you mentioned you were surprised not seeing a hyro release lever on my 169. Is that unusual to not have the lever? I didn't think the the release valves or the tunnel cover had been replace. I have a later production 169, but can't remember if it has the release lever or not. After looking at your nice looking 169 makes me want to tear mine apart and refurbish it.

Frank-
Looking good there!

Harry-
I must have missed it when it was discussed many years ago, but did you paint the engine on your 169 black???
1a_scratchhead.gif

Thurman - you're confusing me. Based on the serial number you sent a picture of you have the very 1st production 169. I did see it doesn't have a release lever on the side of the tunnel cover, and that is surprising. The auto release valves were not introduced until mid way thru the Quiet Line production (not sure what year) but probably around 1976 or 77. I don't see the hole for the handle either, which makes even that much more strange (the pic is posted in the very 1st string of this thread). Is there a hole and we just can't see it in the pic?

Art - yes my engine is mostly painted black. There was an era when black engines had a certain mystic about them. As I noted earlier the head is painted hi-temp silver. I'll post another pic (don't have a close up) but you can just see the points cover is painted yellow and so is the valve cover. All these little details help set the engine off, and I like this color scheme. And nope, I don't care what the correct police say either. I mentioned before you start with 110 points but the maximum final scoring is 100, so you're allow 10 deduction points and can still have a 100 point unit (I think I just made it but you guys can tell me, you'll probably see a few other deduction points in this pick besides the engine. You can also see a few more in the pic I posted below with the hood open. You might also notice all the engine shroud bolts, the coil mount bracket and bolts, and the nuts on the head stud bolts are painted what's been called by some "hi-ho silver", but the head bolts are not painted).
255531.jpg

255532.jpg

Harry: I also thought the automatic release valves were for later production tractors, but the 169 I have and sent you the picturs of does not have a hole in the tunnel for the hydro release lever. I will remove the tunnel later today and see if has manual or auto valves. I could have had the tunnel cover off for some reason and switched the cover with one of the 1650s I have. You tend to do silly things like that as you get older.

dang harry.....thats purty!!!! and it appears mine is missing the heat sheild......where might one find one? looks as thoght thats what is needed to get my muffler to stay put.....

FWIW, 169 #527780 (Oct., '74) has manual release valves. I remember being surprised to see them. (Not as surprised as I was to see the short dipstick on a 147 we had. That was a stomach-turning moment!).
Harry, I hope you keep posting pics of yours. As Eliza said (in a way), pics of yours can help keep us on the right track better than Parts Lookup. Have a great day!
happy.gif
happy.gif

Harry, very nice,, wish I had one that sweet

Now my cub book says the switch from manual unloaders to auto unloaders came at serial number 590522 on the 1450 and 1650 and at number 597245 on the 1250,

both well after 169 numbers.

Thurman please let us know what you find

Eliza where are those pics of yours??

Thurman - before you go removing the tunnel cover off your 169, why don't you have a look at your 1650s and see if they have a lever on the side of one. If one does then remove that cover and see if it has the auto release valves.

Eliza - it's been hard to find the correct heat shield for quite some time. You could try a couple of the used parts dealers. I think you'd have to call the sponsors and see if they might have one but probably pricey. Also, besides holding the muffler in place the heat shield also keeps the air from the flywheel flowing over the head to cool it.

Jeff - you do have one that sweet, you just have to make yours look that way. You could do it in a month or two of dedicated time, but it took me about 7 years to complete mine. Hey, I'm surprised no one pointed out my pre and post production differences, that give me point deductions.

Frank - here's what your dash should look like. You might have an earlier production steering wheel.
255585.jpg

Aww,Harry, that's the type of steering wheel I prefer. It accepts a suicide knob so well, not like the "skinny" version.
happy.gif

(Ever think of putting a "cigar lighter" in there?).
happy.gif
happy.gif

Frank - ya I thought about the cigar lighter, but then I'd have to get a special dash plate, and then I'd also worry about burning a hole in my vinyl seat when I'm smoking and driving. Hey, did you notice the nice center cap with the silver IH emblem? I don't recall now if I have an extra wheel and the cap with the emblem or just the cap. Also, how about my special pre-production wide front? Can't see it to well in the pic below, but something gives it away. I think it helps ease the steering and also improves the factory camber.

Pre-production front end? More input, please?
I've got one of those steering wheels and caps on a 149. It came off an 1811. Were they "natural" to a 169?
happy.gif

Cant say for sure but I'm saying the IH center cap was not original to the 169. The 1250 I bought new and the 1650 my Dad bought new did not have that center. Im 99% sure the change was made in the 800-1650 line

I think what harry is saying, is that if you look at te front wheels, the deeper "offset" if you will is facing out like on the NF units. Whereas most all the WF un. its I have seen have the shallow part of the wheel facing out. Essentially turning the rim around however its not quite that easy as that darn valve stem gets in the way. BTDT. Am I correct harry?

Frank, Tom and Joseph J - yes Tom is right about the steering wheel. It was introduced mid-production on the Quiet Line units, not sure what year - thus it's a post-production feature on my 169. And Joseph is right about the front wheels. You can't just reverse them because the valve stem will hit on the axle and eventually tear - thus my front wheels are a pre-production feature (wheels from N/F era). Here's another pic that was taken at my old home in CT. You can just see the valve stem (sorry about the digital color fading but everything else looks really nice). The pic is not on level ground so the wheel looks like it's leaning but it's not - you can tell because of the amount of the axle you see. There are still a few other post production features to find but they are getting harder.
255600.jpg

Latest posts

Back