Archive through March 14, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick Question: QL mid production changes. To what extent were these improvements or fixes to the design? For example, 1 vs 3/4, while might not be a "fix", IMHO is an improvement. Aluminum axle carrier and internal brakes, improvement or fix or better had been left alone. Lower grill to aluminum vs cast iron - not sure the reasons for this, doesn't strike me as an improvement.

Early QL front frame:

284547.jpg

Later QL frame, but not later production with 1 inch axles, etc.

284548.jpg

Dual hydro - when did this option become available?

Bill QQ - I see Charlie gave ya a short answer. Wasn't to long ago I mentioned most of the same things you did. I believe Dennis F commented on the change to aluminum from cast iron carriers and lower grill housing, as being an attempt at cost savings. I have to say it made the tractor lighter. I don't think it made any improvement. The 3/4 to 1" spindle seems to be an improvement but for all standard applications the 3/4" spindle really holds up fine. The internal to external brakes is a preference thing and makes no improvement in my view. You'd really have to get with a design engineer and determine whether any changes were a substantial technical improvement that really did something beneficial.
The only comment I have on the dual spool hydraulic control is that I never saw a QL frame with the holes plugged like your pic. Everyone I've seen with holes was a dual spooler. Had seen plugged holes on later CCC tractors, but those were black plastic plugs. Doesn't seem likely to me someone would have purchased a brand spankin new frame. Do you have a pic of the serial tag to check what model it's supposed to be and approx build date?

Bill and Hydro Harry,

I have a December 1977 1450. The way mine came equipped is:

Aluminum Lower grill (so is the headlight casting but I think those were always aluminum)

Aluminum rear axle carriers and a cast iron transaxle housing

3/4" Front Spindles

The "82 Series" steering wheel (has the small triangle in the center with IH molded into the plastic cap)

Auto dump valves

Dual Hydro

It now has manual valves and a manual lever tunnel cover (had a leaky auto dump valve and had a set of spare manuals)

1" front spindles. (had a bearing go bad, and the parts tractor is a CCC 782,so I stole the spindles and front wheels with good bearings)

We have other QL's floating around, but I am not in the same location as those.....

So by mid run since they went 75-79 they had made some of the changes......

Bill,Hydro Harry and Scott,

I have a June 1977 1650. The way mine came equipped is:

Aluminum Lower grill and upper with lights.

Cast iron rear axle carriers and a cast iron transaxle housing

3/4" Front Spindles

The "82 Series" steering wheel (has the small triangle in the center without IH molded into the plastic cap, mine is plain.)

Auto dump valves

Hydro lift (no holes for front hydro connections)

I believe it's what they had in stock and what the customer ordered and since they are 36 years old what the PO may have added or changed.

I think you guys will also find on the later models is the wire harness going THRU a GROMMET in the firewall as opposed to under it along the frame. Also the PTO clutch wire going thru the same grommet as opposed to down the left side of the frame.

e. manual to auto relief valves 1450,1650 @590522
f. manual to auto relief valves 1250 @597245
g. front spindle size change @632502

I have a list in the sandbox on changes

Latest posts

Back