• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 14, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can also use the high temp "rope" for the seal on wood stove doors. It is easy to flatten, some brands come flat, and looks close to the original stuff. It's readily available at most hardware stores and/or building centers like Menard's, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. I believe the most accurate stuff is the oil lamp wick like Charlie mentioned but that stuff is harder to find.

I use this. It is government surplus and I bought it in the flea market area of an antique machinery show, several years ago. It still had the stock number and nomenclature tag on it when I bought it, but I put it up for safe keeping and haven't seen it since, and don't remember what Uncle Sam called it. It is just a tightly woven twill tape I suppose, and you might be able to find something similar in a fabric shop. It is about 1/16" thick, and appears to be thinner than the original stuff. Like Charlie said, I have also used strips of rubber, and strips of thin leather. I use yellow, auto weather strip adhesive, to glue it to the the gas tank mounts.
116048.jpg

Used to be a place in Davenport, Iowa that made tents and similar products. They may still be in business. Maybe Dennis Frisk will recall the place. You could purchase the exact material that the F series FARMALL tractors used around the gas tanks. An IH former mechanic/partsman put me onto this stuff. You can purchase different widths quite reasonable. Basically the same material on the Cub Cadets... tent strap material. There is a place in Dubuque, Iowa Frommelt's that the strap material can be purchased. So check the Yellow pages for a place that sells/repairs/makes/rents tents.

Just thought I would post a picture of my "reconditioned" tiller. It got sandblasted, painted, all new hardware, and a lube job. She runs real nice. Just got to figure out how to keep the belt from rolling over! FYI, I will not be running those tires while tilling.
116051.jpg

"Weather Alert"
Expect big snowfall in the Northern Illinois in the near future.............I took the snow thrower off today.

Brian J. I have never used my tiller but,have you replaced the tension spring with a rigid bolt like on the other pulley? My tiller operators manual is very specific about that being necessary. The other trick that you can try is to turn the belt over. The antique machinery show that I am a member of has a farm tracor with a belly mount mower that has a very long drive belt from the rear pto and several times I have had to "flip" the belt for the same problem.

thank you all for the support! i like the oil lamp idea as well as the others. i'd say those fella's got some water in the carb!

They had to find the FAQ to learn how to properly drain the tranny.

Tom i am pushing the snow issue also, by taking of the qa36 from the 128 and get my 50" mower deck ready

Ryan, Art and Todd....be careful what you say - I hear there's one O' them slanty grill lovers that may be into Cubby voodoo (stickin' pins into Ertl models of non-125s that have offender's names written on 'em). I hear he takes pictures of certain Plow Day participant's machines and PhotoShops 'em GREEN AND YELLER and then burns 'em in an old ashtray from a '55 Cornbinder pickup!!!!!.
blush.gif

Brian J., good looking tiller. I plan on restoring mine this year. What kind of paint did you use? And, I have the stock tires on my 149 with chains and never had any problems tilling. Nick

Wayne, what tension pin and what pulley are you talking about? On my tractor, the long belt off the PTO is fine, it's the shorter one that runs from the gear box to the tiller that keeps flopping over.
Nick, thanks. It was rattle can Valspar IH White color. Of course I also used primer. It is a #1A tiller, but I welded all the shells together so it's a single complete shell now. I have Super Lug tires to run in the garden. I use the turfs with chains for the snow.

So---- was there a snorkel kit that I missed? That treatment could really help with a hot running engine.

Back