• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through March 14, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian J. I was wondering if your pulleys are in alignment? Does the tiller lean sideways during use because the bottom mount frame holes are elongated or oversize? I have had my # 1 tiller over 30 years and I don't ever remember a problem with the belt flopping over. I run the short belt a little loose so nothing will break if something gets jammed in the tines.

David, you are absolutely right. The tiller pulley is not perfectly aligned. I'll check for elongation of the bolt holes and try and fix it. Thanks.

116062.gif
Wait, never mind, it's only a gear drive.

The fuzzy side of velcro does work great. Peel and stick....fast and easy.

116071.jpg

Brian I thought you meant the long belt. The pulleys I referred to are the right angle idlers below the pto clutch. With a mower deck one has a threaded rod adjuster and the other a spring. The tiller manual says to replace the spring with a threaded adjuster like the other pulley has. For the short belt I would try flipping the belt over (end for end) On the application I described in my previous post, even new belts can have this problem.If it is not a new belt, some internal cords may be stretched which will not show on a visual inspection. Use a straight edge to check pulley alignment. Even if the pulley grooves line up,the pulleys may not be parallel. Use the straight edge on the sides of the pulleys. Some belts are fractional horse power belts even if they have the same dimensions and will not survive high load applications. Some of the fractional horsepower belts are not black,but maybe green or grey,but I wouldn't go by just the color. The belt should have a number on it and possibly letters. The letters/numbers typically indicate length, crossection dimensions and load capability. On the belly mount mower application I described we have found that Goodyear belts last about twice as long as Gates belts even when they both have the same specs. Once a belt has turned over it is never quite the same and is more likely to do it again. If missalignment is a problem look for something worn or bent,maybe it has always had that problem and the PO just put up with it and let the belt run that way,we sometimes have to do that with our belly mount mower until the belt breaks and we get a new one.

Kendell, Kirk, I like that idea for using velco for the fuel tank pads! Being self adhesive they would stay put while adjusting the tank position.
thumbsup.gif
I'm going to have to remember that one.

Kirk, what is that muffler originally for? Never seen one like it before.

Kraig,
I wanted something different for a muffler and came up with this one. Bought it at a Prime Line Power Eguipment parts distributor. I had the outlet pipe made and welded on at a muffler shop. The muffler came with a 2" straight outlet. The tag says it is for a Gravely. I plan on having this tractor running today. I hope it sounds good with this muffler.
116075.jpg

116076.jpg

I picked up a fairly nice 147 over the weekend. Engine fired up after cleaning out all the old gas. The problem now is that the drive lever is frozen. Can't go in any direction. Is it possible for the hydro pump to cause such a situation? I am hoping that it is just rusted in the linkage. It is pretty rusty from sitting outside. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Randy

Randy, as I recall this situation happened to another member a few weeks ago...obvious first action...soak down for a few days with PB Blaster. Maybe Kraig can quickly find the post I,m referring to.

Randy, I would suspect it is rusted up in the control lever mechanism. The linkages are usually loose enough that they don't rust up. Spray the control mechanism (the area down inside the dash pedestal) liberally with PB Blaster or some other good quality penetrating spray.

Kirk, cool muffler! Please keep us posted as to how it sounds. That would be perfect for use on a loader tractor, as the normal exhaust exit points at the loader arms and/or hydraulic cylinders.

Latest posts

Back