• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 13, 2018

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike F.: Sorry to hear about your experience on the K341 in your precious 169. I know you spent a good deal of time assembling it and your skills are a good bit better than most.

I know they "blue print" automobile racing engines to make sure that there are no dynamic "surprises" once the RPMs go up. Is there nothing additional you could have done to ensure that your engine vibration was kept to a minimum?
1a_scratchhead.gif

I haven't been checking the Forum for a long time now, I guess I need to check your thread and catch up your progress (where did you post your rebuild again?) .

Note: These machines will break your heart, that's why I generally refer to them using the feminine gender.
smile.gif

K341s shake, with gears, without.....they shake!

So instead of the"Great oil debate" we're going to have a "Great balance gear debate" now?!

Jeremiah, bout a month ago all sorts of things were brought up. I know my 1450 shakes, dad's not so much. Mine needs ISO mounts and the works, put about 30 minutes on it since I bought it 3-4 years ago. Mostly just moving it around. So I'm not one to chime in either way. I have seen the aftermath of the "grenades" exiting the block. Not pretty.

Just about ready for the "some assembly req'd" part here on this 128 after reworking the clutch hanger and installing a correct K301 in place of whatever it was that had been crammed between the frame rails of this 128 when I picked it up from the PO last summer. Now that I have a muffler and a few other odds and ends (Thanks Charlie!!)

319855.jpg

319856.jpg

319857.jpg

Earl F it’s my preference not to have the ticking grenade time bombs in my kohlers as Steve said they shake they all shake,but having said that I’m not going to tear down my motors with them that are running fine.If someone has a motor apart why chance it but again that’s just my two cents LOL

There's something about fresh Cub Cadet yellow paint that is so satisfying, not sure why, but there is.

David, looking good!

Lookin good Dave....
Thought about you last nite
The Kid and I were turnin over some dirt !
Was just thinkin ....to bad Dave’s not here

Jeremiah C. regarding engine balancing, go back to Dave Kirk's post to Jim Storma on Feb. 8, 2018, 6:39 PM, read it several times.

Dave's Day job for years was designing little engines and even HUGE engines, his post explained balancing a single cylinder engine about as elegantly as I have ever seen. I really don't think there's much else to say.

Wyatt and I built up K321 engines years ago, similar to Dave's Killer Kohler K301. We both had Dave balance them with his plates. My 321 runs smoother than the K241 did that my 321 replaced. And as we all know, K241's never had any grenade gears.

Latest posts

Back