• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through March 05, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlhayes

displayname
Jim Hayes
Strait Hollis is the peddle locked down in parking brake position ? shifter may not move if it is

Bruce., lets just say the winner is still in use today. The same neighbor seemed to buy a new crapsman every 2-3 years. They seemed to get worn out from mowing. I remember Dad saying "neighbors bought a new junker".
ihrotate.gif

Ken....that be it ! Bookmarked it this time. I thought there were captions as to what brand but, as I said, I seem to remember things that were not occasionally.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Guess I have another style for Charlie to add.
Charlie..If you want a better pic to show both sides let me know.

Thought I'd pass along a PSA to the fellow cubbers out there. A few weeks ago I was asking about a tiller drive belt. I have a 129 wide frame with a STD mule and STD gear box. I got me an A144 Dayton belt from Grainger and it fit like a glove. The price was right too.

Todd,
I still have that old worn-out 102, and could probably get it to run with a battery, some starting fluid, and a little work on the ignition. After my teen years, it saw only snow duty for a couple of years, but then we put it back to work mowing. For a couple of years in the early '80s I used it to mow about 3 acres at my Dad's shop, then we took it down to the farm, where I used it for about 13 years to maintain an acre to an acre and a half of lawn. Grandma moved off the farm in '92 into a retirement home, and I moved up there a year later into her house.

By '98 Grandma was still hanging in there, but she died a week after celebrating her 99th birthday. The engine on the Cub was dying too, but the last straw for it as a mower was a disintegrated throwout bearing. I reluctantly pushed it to the back of the shed, and found a funky looking used Simplicity Sunrunner that served my mowing duties for about 9 years. The Sunrunner was a good mower for the obstacle course that was the yard at my grandma's old house.

A couple of years later I found another 10 hp Kohler that I was able to patch up enough to put the Cub back into service moving snow and doing light grading with the snow blade. When I moved out of the old farmhouse to a new house nearby in in '04, I brought a small trailer to store and haul my garbage cans to the main road, and I used the 102 to move the trailer as well. As expected, the patched engine didn't hold up for long, When I first got the engine, the cylinder was already bored .030 over and had .015 taper, and the rod journal was loose. I ground the valves, filed the rod cap, and put new rings on it and said a prayer, and I managed to get about 5 or 6 seasons of snow removal and garbage scow use out of it before the engine refused to start without ether, or fouling the plug within a few minutes. I ended up restoring a 129 a couple years ago to use as my main mower, but that's another story.

Over the last couple of years I've been accumulating the necessary parts to do a proper redo of the old Cub, but in the course of chasing down parts, I found a better restoration candidate than the one I already had, so I've been concentrating on fixing that one up instead.

115623.jpg

The "old" 102

115624.jpg

The "new" 102

Todd H., boy that brings back the memories... I grew up with a 147 and the same lectures. The same things went on...we had chains and the road in front of the house was always a really odd color of gray due to all the donuts that happened. I remember when my buddy's dad got one of those new fangled cub lawn tractors with the slanted hood. The 147 pulled it all over the place. The local service station kept a good supply of roll pins for us. As for the crapsman, I'm afraid to admit I do presently own one and the only thing I have ever done to it is replace the spindle bearings (motion industries, $4 each) and weld the deck up after mowing over 2 bricks and a piece of sandstone. I was under the same impression of them growing up, but if you take good care of something, usually it will return the favor. At least the crapsman has a 15.5 horse kohler. I mowed the neighbors lot a few times with it when the weeds were higher than the hood on a stupidly steep hill going sideways. Like I said, it never failed me. I have since done it with my 149 and it performs well also. This year the original gets it's test. Nick

Todd H., on a side note, I wouldn't dare think of plowing or throwing snow or rototilling or plowing with the crapsman. It probably would break in two. Oh yeah, I had to fiberglass the hood after the wife ran into a tree. That's not bad for repairs for a 13 year old tractor. But at least she mows the grass. She hasn't moved up to the Cubbies yet though. Nick

Bruce and Nick., before Charlie redirects us to the sandbox. Bruce, both of those 102's appear to be great resto project's. Yea, a crapsman tractor is a good lawn mower, BUT how many 30+ year old ones have ya seen still in use?

I guess what I am saying is an IH garden tractor is a "rebuildable tractor". Like Bruce said, with a little work you can bring a cub back to life.

Todd, I wholeheartedly agree with you. They don't build them like the old cubs anymore. Actually, I'm kind of surprised the other one has lasted so long. Nick

Here ya go Charlie...also got the casting #
Do you want a higher res ?

115632.jpg

115633.jpg

Brendan B - "I thought there were captions as to what brand..." If you pause your mouse pointer on each photo, a small box should appear with the file name, and the files are named with the brand of each weight. At least the file names show up on my screen.

Question. Will a snow blade off a 782 work on my 1450? It has hyd. angle. My 1450 has hyd. lift. Would I have to set up some sort of selector valve?

115637.jpg

115638.jpg

My solution to pictures not loading.(Firefox) Right click on the number where the image should be and select view image. Hit back button and the entire page populates. Work's for me.

hey Kraig, That 125 with the Danco loader is up for sale again. Only $1500 now, It's going to be another Tinkerbell cub.

Thanks. Bruce (twice) Don and Jim. I found page 2-41 in the Service Manual right after I posted. I'll buy a couple more cans of degreaser and go at it. And I'll check the pedal linkage, that might be the clue. I really want to get the handle off so will hit it again with PB Blaster and a board and bigger hammer. I'd rather not take it apart from the bottom. Don I thought your post said you finally had to use some heat to get the handle off. Thanks guys

Jeff C Factory did make front hydraulics an option using a 4-way control valve .1 option would mean replacing 2-way valve with 4-way valve. And fabing a control lever or salvage lever from a parts tractor.Also an AG hyraulic company makes electronic controls to add a valve.

Strait Hollis (Shollis) i sure remember heating 1 cub part and that was a steering wheel on a O, the handle i posted i soaked it and tap it at the bottom of the shaft with a punch. i had a thought that it had stuck on the friction washer and that was the place it was froze. When i could lift the handle up far enuf to use a block of hard wood and a tap it came off.(Handel). I did not think that it would be a good plan to heat the hydro handle. I think it would get to soft. later Don T
old.gif

Latest posts

Back