• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 01, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
Bruce, the gasket should be readily available from many of the sponsors above or your local Cub Cadet dealer. There should be a fill plug on the rear plate.

Here's a link to the FAQ that has info on changing the fluid in the rear end. This is written mainly for a hydrostatic but excepting the filter info it should be nearly the same procedure.

Bruce, here's some info for the fill plug, #6 in the drawing.

52481.jpg

52482.jpg

Here's the rest of the listing for the lubrication points.

52484.jpg

KRAIG - If DAN made those steering box adjusting nuts I'm sure NOBODY would ever have to buy another one for THAT tractor again! However....I do remember replacing the gearbox on the 70 about 1966 or 1967, maybe a bit later....front wheel got wedged UNDER the 1000 gal. LP tank in the yard and I couldn't back it back out from under the tank,...the gearbox was the Weakest Link! Split right in two thru the window.

Denny, ummm, we need more info on this story. HOW did the wheel get wedged under a 1000 gallon propane tank????
dunno.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

KRAIG - That was about 40 yrs ago....I was about 12-13 yrs old.... I can't remember... But I remember the broken gear box hung on a nail in the shop for about 35 yrs to remind Me how STUPID I was....Those gearboxes were a little cheaper then than they are now but not much!

Tom:

By Tom Hill (Thill) on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 05:33 pm:

Will a model 450-45 snow thrower fit a 128 and a 169 or is it only for the newwer wide frames.

Thanks
Tom

I'll take a stab at this one. From the research that I have done, I am going to say NO. The WF's prior to the 82 Series, utilized 3/8" PTO Drive Belt(s). From the 82 Series forward, the PTO Drive Belts are 5/8". With this in mind, I suspect the 190-450 would physically mount, but the belts and pulleys would be an issue. Your "could" make this snowblower work, but would require some sort of pulley and belt changes on the snowblower.

If my assessment is wrong, someone else chime in.

52487.jpg

Denny, I think I understand, I bet you were using the Cub Cadet 70 as a go-kart weren't you? BTDT, bent a spindle when I hit a red pine tree (pinus resinosa) square in the trunk with the left front tire....... I was about 9 or 10 at the time.
bash.gif

It's been snowing like crazy here since just before 8:00am this morning. Actually started last night around 10:00pm but only got a few inches and it had let up by 4:00am (I only know that because the
censored.gif
cat's woke me up wanting to be fed) it started up again just before 8:00. Most everyone at my work has either not come in or has/is leaving early. I've heard that just a few miles north of my house they already have around a foot of snow, but it likely missed my place, as usual.
angry.gif
I'm outta here, hopefully it didn't miss my place and I'll get some Cub Cadet seat time later today.
happy.gif

Actually, I was mowing the barn yard and trying to get as much of the grass growing up around the tank as possible. We used to mow the house yard, all the barn yard and about a quarter mile of road bank. Thursday's were mowing day and it took almost ALL day to mow even running in THIRD gear in foot tall crabgrass.... Our barnyard was big enough We could have livestock semi-trucks turn around in the yard easily, and the barnyard served as a practice baseball field MANY times. And on Friday's the neighbor came over and borrowed the 70 to mow His yard on the farm My Folk's bought and moved onto and lived for 34 yrs. He didn't mow quite as much as We did but close. That's why the K161 got rebuilt about every three years.

Heeeelllpppp!!! My 108 just stopped moving, and the biggest part of the blizzard isnt even here yet. I was plowing and my shoelace caught around the parking brake lever. When I went to back up and let the clutch out, the parking brake tried to catch for a second, then I had no gears. I just barely backed it into the garage by rocking the clutch. Please tell me its something even a dummy like me can fix...by tonight...with no new parts within 100 blizzardy miles...

KRAIG - The rain We got started about 6 AM today, then it froze, then the rain changed to sleet, then snow, and it's supposed to keep warming up so it will rain again....and when THAT happens I will try to leave here too.... I could have made better time getting to work with one of My FARMALL's....15-20 mph on I-94 in Waukesha, WI. this 7 AM

Wayne- Remove your tunnel cover and check your spirol pins at the clutch and tranny.

You mentioned your brake lock, it isn't keeping the pedal from returning all the way to the up position is it?

Thanks, but can you be more specific on how to check it? I can fix most things if I can find out whats wrong, but I'm not very good at that part. Best to use words like "that round thing next to the big square thing".
happy.gif

OK, try not to laugh too hard now..I got underneath and there is a wound spring type of thing that is busted, it looks like its supposed to catch on that disc (is that the clutch plate? hell I dunno)
The sprinh has coils that wrap around one of 3 posts that attach to that disc. The spring is roughly L shaped overall (with no tension on it) , and the ends hook in two different places giving the spring tension-where they go, I dont know, but one end appears to have the tip broken off. Anyone have a picture of this maybe?

Roland,
Here's a perspective going the other way with a snow blower that came off an X82 and mounted on a 129. My QA-42A previously was mounted to a 782, and had the 5/8 pulley. I had good results with a 1/2 inch pulley I got from TSC, using a 1/2 inch belt. My local Cub dealer wanted $93 for the 3/8 pulley! The PTO seems to handle the 1/2" belt just fine. I passed on a 190-450 blower because I wasn't sure I could make it work with a reasonable amount of effort, even though the seller said it required only minor mods. I still don't know if it would have worked out.

WAYNE - That's Your clutch anti-rattle spring...it's not Your problem. Make sure Your clutch pedal is releasing completely all the way up to the pedal stop welded onto the frame. Your parking brake latch may be keeping Your pedal from returning all the way.

OK, found a pic. The spring goes around one of the drive clutch pins. But is that the problem? Is there a quick fix with no chance for finding a new spring today?

Come to think of it my neighbor has a couple junked cubs, a 70 and something else of that era, and 8 horse I think. Might the springs be the same?

Ok, gotcha Dennis. Yeah the pedal returns all the way up just fine.

The tractor will move forward or reverse if I hold the clutch pedal just at the point where I start to feel some pressure, if that helps. Any more or less and it wont budge.

Latest posts

Back