Archive through June 28, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choover

displayname
Charles Winston Hoover
Here is a simple question but I cannot find it in FAQ or searching. When changing my hydro fluid and filter, what is the capacity.

I appreciate reading about the data from all the various gauges available. However it isn't of much use unless it comes with intelligent analysis of what it all means, and recommendations. For example, if we know that Kohler engines run exceedingly hot on summer days after a few hours of mowing, then we should be using Brand X, Y, or Z motor oil. That sort of real-world advice drawn from objective data is always welcome.

So keep the data and analysis coming.

Charles, as Denny mentioned, 7 quarts. Here's a chart from the 1x6/7 Operator's Manual:

192986.jpg

And just in case, 1 quart = 2 pints.

Hey guys. I just recently picked up a 149 that needs some work. Once I get it running I would like to replace the tires. What's the biggest tire I can fit front and rear? I want something more aggressive than a turf tire, but ATV tires don't come in 23x10.50-12. Would a 25x10-12 fit without too many issues? What about the front end, what's the biggest that will fit without causing issues?

Andrew-

I have 25-10-12 ATV tires on a 582. They fit under the fenders ok, but look kinda dumb and raise the rear of the tractor too much. I don't think I'd be able to mow with them because the deck wouldn't sit level and might not clear the tires.

I don't quite understand your desire to put the largest possible tires on your tractor. If you plan on mowing with the tractor, your deck won't fit and is unlikely to be level if you put bigger tires on it.

If you're going to buy new tires, I'd get some Carlisle Tru-Powers for the rear in the correct size and Vredestein V61 front tires also in the correct size. I will buy Tru-Powers someday when the 35-year-old Goodyear lug tires I have give out. I have one set of V61 5-rib front tires, and they are the best steering tire I have ever used. Someone must have a picture of some Tru-Powers...here's the V61s:

192988.jpg

Matt,

It's not that I want to do the biggest tire possible, just that there aren't to many options in the 23x10.50-12 sizes. I'm probably not going to do any mowing with this tractor as I don't have a deck, and really don't have a yard big enough for it. If I find a deck for cheap then that could change. I would like a more aggressive tire as I'm planning on building a loader for this little tractor and will need more traction than a turf tire can provide.

If you're putting a loader on it, you probably don't want ATV tires. Most I have seen are soft and thin and probably wouldn't hold up well on a loader tractor.

Actually the ATV tires I'm looking at are 6 ply. Probably wouldn't be able to do these on the front, so would have to do some from Carlisle or similar, but I believe those only have a 4 ply construction.

Matt, how wide are the rims on that 582. I have a 149 with 26" bar tread but I put them on 12" wide rims, it almost sets shorter than the 23" I replaced with 8.5 rims.

Guys I thought that all(129,149,169) tractors had 10.5" rims and supers had 12" rims.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Just spent 2.5 hrs at rmv to put plates on the Car. I hope to get some seat time in tomorrow and get at my 129 loader and repair a broken key on the lift pump.
bash.gif
Since I retired the days fly by and I don`t seem to get much done.I do want to look at a tractor I saw on the weekend for sale with a loader.HOPE THE WIFE DON`T READ THIS LOL.

Donald,

Only 2.5 hours at the Registry? Wow, here in Rhode Island you nearly have to pack an overnight bag because the lines are so long and slow. But, I jest. The wait is only about 4 hours.

Don T, I used a pair of Bolens rims I had laying around, then had to pull the center out of a pair of cub rims and the bolens rims and welded the cub center into the bolens rims with a little more offset than stock. I was trying something. I was also a lot more ambitous 10 years ago. It does work on the plow, I could have saved a lot of time and just bought the rims but what I had a lot of is time and tools not so much money though.

Kevin Hill

That was the first mod I did to my 129 before the loader was installed.
192993.jpg

Kevin,

I plan on doing the spindle upgrade, but that will have to wait until I'm closer to doing the loader. I just like the look of the AG type tires.

Donald,

What tires are those? Where did you get them and what sizes? That's what I want to put on mine.

Don:
I like the all yellow... looks like an industrial model IH...

Don, I too have a 169 that someday I would like to put a loader on..Does the hydralic pump run off the front pto and did you have to make modifications to make it fit?

Latest posts

Back