• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 28, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 129. I just finished overhauling the steering box. Now I notice ( after 6 years) that the wheels badly need alignment. The book says they should be set to 1/8" toe in. Where is that toe-in measured from?

Ned: I ran into that on a couple 123s last spring. First thought was "1/8" - come on, now!"
The way I understand it, measure halfway up the front tires, front and back and make a mark at the center of the tire. Then adjust the tie rod so the fronts of the tires toe in 1/8" from the rears of the tires. That's sure cutting it fine, in my opinion. My bearings have more accumulated play in them than that - and they're new!
coffee.gif

Art:
That's the 149 - the PO apparently liked separated brakes...Charlie was pretty close! If you saw a side view, you'd also see the voltage regulator hung right beside the PTO handle.....lots of PO "inventions" . Oh BTW - if it took 3 months, turn up the amps!!

Good one Harry....Pre-Introductory-Prototype-Equipment-Repairs sounds like something Toyota should look into..
clappy.gif

Roy-
About 10 years ago I replaced the hydro cooling fan on my 1450. I was proud of my work as I replaced the old fan (missing all of the fins) and the cork hydro gasket and got everything back together and nicely cleaned up. I did not replace the old snap-ring, because it looked fine.

I left the tunnel cover off as I started it up for the first time after the repair. As the engine started, I watched in horror as the brand-new fan "walked" its way down the driveshaft and into the hydraulic-lift linkage, shearing off every blade on the fan in about .78 seconds of run time.
bash.gif

When I replaced the fan the second time, I made sure to use a NEW snap-ring. That fixed the issue. I think your hose clamp idea would work just fine.

Gary Ide:
Thanks for your response. I have the manual and while it says nothing about lubrication on the shaft, I just wanted to be sure. Pretty soon I am going to have to replace the steering whatever thing as the play is now almost half a turn. I am up near Escanaba-nice to meet ya.-Mike

Hydro Harry, the reason the gear drives have a drain plug is because that's basically the same transmission as a Farmall Cub transmission so it's a hold over. When they did the hydro they had to redo the casting so they took out the drain plug.
dunno.gif

Art, nice!
bouncy.gif

Roy N,
The service manual is a bit misleading since it covers both the wide frame (149 and others) and the Quietline (1450 and others). Both have a rear rag joint but the driveshaft and couplings are different. The "ball" refered to is only used on the Quietline models and not on the other wide frames such as your 149.

HH and everyone on that pic the gages are photoshoped if Matt g where here he would agree with me look at the gage cluster under the throtel in the botom right hand corner it overlaps the stering wheel
whistling.gif

Kentuck a litel while ago you mentioned you had a different fender setup for your flat fendered cub could you post a pic of it?

Back