Archive through June 26, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im trying to get my 982 running and dont have spark i have tried a different condenser new plugs checked and replaced all connections at coil tested coil and seemed ok per the manual. The engine is a onan p220g replacement engine, is there anyway to test the pickup thats behind the flywheel the manual dosent show any way of testing it. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks josh

Hmmm....it sounds almost as if you guys are authorizing the purchase of a bigger Cub, which might also make my driveway plowing a bit easier. Hmmm...I'll have to think about this difficult decision for 2 or 3 seconds...

wayne what you would want to look for is a gear drive with creeper gear or more idealy a hydrostatic with hydralic lift. And 12 horse or better.

I have tilled with both gear drive and hydro and manaul lift and hydralic lift.

in the end I like my 149 to till with best.

Frank Clark,
I would replace the coil, and condenser, and make sure your voltage regulator is still good, or if it is set right. Sounds to me that your 125 is getting too much voltage to the coil, and is literally burning up your spark plug, and causing stalls.

Wayne S.
We're not authorizing anything. WE'RE DEMANDING that you buy another Cub!
biggrin.gif

Hey everyone.
I got the old Original home earlier today, and as you can see, it's not very pretty. But a little paint and the decals, and it'll be good to go. I worked on cleanin er up mechanically too. Turns out, that the old K 161 is suprisingly not stuck, and has pretty good compression. It has a little bit of spark, but this thing will take more than just cleaning up, and ether. It probally needs a new coil, and condensor, and maybe some points to get er goin real good again. I could use some tips, and advice, since this is the oldest Cub Cadet i have, and the fact that it's been asleep for a long time. Thanks!
192892.jpg
ihrotate.gif
groupwave.gif

Hopefully, i might be able to get the old Original awake before the 4th of July. I was going to take it down to my uncle's 4th of July party, and take the kids for a hayride with it. Any tips, or advice is greatly welcome to help me get er back on the road! Thanks!

The Kohler engine manual says that a Kohler piston will have the word "Fly" or a notch on the top of the piston to index it correctly during a rebuild.

What about a Stens piston? Does it matter how it's oriented in the cylinder during reassembly?

There was no paper-work inluded with it that indicated anything specific....

192895.jpg

Art, the piece thats sticking out goes down.
happy.gif

HH, I kinda look at it like the first time I ran a tractor with a pyro. Dealership told us not to go over (I really don't remember the number) this number. It was about 75ish. I was early teens and I stared at that gauge for the first couple hours. New ,to us, tractor with a fresh rebuild pulling a plow in almost gumbo down in bottom ground, I was alert, an understatment, to vibration and strange noises that I wasn't used to. Over time I got used to that pyro gauge, it ran a little hotter when the pull got hard, a little hotter on hot days. I got used to what it said was normal. I think thats how to use a mounted head temp gauge, it'll change some as conditions change. Have to get used to what your engine will tell you as to whats normal. Have to figure out whats the "safe" number not to exceed.

Latest posts

Back