Archive through June 25, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
frank snerd (Fsnerd) I just was sitting here and thought i would share a picture. My camer takes lots of pictures when i take thing apart or find another installe corect. Hope this helps
153735.jpg

153736.jpg

later Don T (its hot here lol)

This is my first posting in the forum so bear with me and please let me know if I'm out of bounds. I have been cleaning up a nice 1250 with a little paint and fresh grease. Yesterday I put it all back together and started to mount the undercarriage when I noticed the idler ratchet wasn't quite right, or seemed a little strange. I'm use to the idler spring like is on my 128 but I have never delt with this ratchet thing. I have searched all of the FAQs and been through the service manual and can't find any in depth information on how this contraption actually works. Is it suppose to lock into a notch when properly adjusted? Is the large spring that loads the idler suppose to keep pressure on this ratchet? Mine had a slight bend where it attaches to the idler bolt with a spring washer next to it. The notches seem too small for any function other than indication. How is this thing suppose to work? I'm an old southern boy and sometimes things come a little slow then... OH! that's how it goes. If someone could direct me to a website that covers this for idiots and in depth I would greatly appreciate it. I've been reading this forum for a while now and for a lot of problems that's all it takes. You guys are very entertaining and I love the pictures that accompany some of the issues. I plan to post a picture of this 1250 when it's finally together and functioning properly. It may take a while. Thanks guys!

Paul -

I recall you don't usually keep more than one deck around at a time. Did you put the condenser back under the flywheel? Maybe they just used the points grounding button to get it turned off. It's interesting they were still using the original under-flywheel coil. On both the pullstart originals I've had they hung an electric start coil on and ran batteries to them for total loss electric ignition.

Wayne, welcome!
groupwave.gif
Perhaps this will help with the mower deck subframe.

153747.jpg

153748.jpg

153749.jpg

Thanks Kraig - I have one of the pictures you posted and the other still doesn't quite answer my question. Remember, I might be dumb as a chicken but I don't understand exactly how the ratchet is suppose to work. I understand the notches and that they indicate whether adjustment is needed but is the ratchet tightly fastened to the idler bolt or is it suppose to float? I assume it floats because of the spring washer and lock nut. Does the tension spring have anything to do with the ratchet as well as the belt? Like I said, I have never used this set-up and I'm sure when it finally sinks in I might understand. It's such a simple part I'm a little embarassed. Also, I just got back from the shop and the spring came out of the idler arm. Are there any tricks to getting it back and what keeps it in place? Thanks!

Wayne, I've never used that type of mower deck subframe but I believe I understand how it works. The ratchet on the right side should float freely when in operation with the belt tension being provided by the tension spring. The belt tension is adjusted by the bolt on the left side. When installing the belt, the ratchet would be pushed back and locked in the front most square notch, (not one of the V notches). Once the belt is installed the ratchet would be released to free floating again. Make sense?
dizzy.gif

Hey guys, I'm finally going to be putting the K241 back together. I do already have the .pdf file on the engine, but that doesnt account for experience! I didnt realize this project was going to take me this long, but if I had more time and fundage I'm sure it would be closer to done! Are there any little tid bits of info that would be helpful in rebuilding the engine that anyone could help me with? (It's my first time!!) Also I saved the old wiring harness out of the 106 when I rewired it last summer. I was wondering if it could be " refurbished"? It wasnt in bad shape, but all of the wires were yellow, no color coding here! If I pull back the fabric insulation would I find and coloring under it? It seems the dude who painted it at the factory got a little "happy" with the paint!! Thanks in advance!

Craig
I put an original type magneto condenser back under the flywheel. The original one had been removed, and the three wires that connect to it were fastened together with a stove bolt and nut, and then taped up, and then a Kohler type condenser was spliced into the wire going to the points, and mounted to the side of the engine. The points cover does not have a grounding button on it, so I guess they just pulled the plug wire off to stop it.

Latest posts

Back