• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 25, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard T
A 72 makes for a nice wood hauler also, I just need to get a larger trailer so I dont have to make so many trips.
88226.jpg

Charlie - The old photo of the CCO cutting tall grass is posted on Smokstak site. It's in the Gallery section. I believe this was a photo when it was new in the early 60's on a farm in Montana. Here's another of the same CCO. Thanks Merton of Eastern North Carolina
88229.jpg

For the first time in about 8 years my 149 with the K321 engine has been giving me trouble. The engine dies unless I pull out the choke cable a bit, and even then it doesn't have much power and often dies after a minute or so. From what I've read the problem may be a bad coil/condenser, spark plug, sticking valve, worn carb throttle shaft, or carb needs rebuilt.

So I've gathered some new parts: Autolite spark plug, points, spark plug wire, Kirk's PointSaver and Bosch coil, and head gasket. As yet I haven't bought the carb rebuild kit or throttle kit (or perhaps get two Hillman 58087 bronze thrust bushings for the throttle shaft).

I've never worked on a Kohler engine other than changing oil and filters, but do have the service, owners, and parts manuals. I removed the head and found plenty of carbon, but no signs of leaking around intact gasket. What is the best way of removing the carbon from the head, pistons, valves? Do I use some sort of liquid along with the wood/plastic scraper?

The valves seem to be okay, as the seat is uniformly shiny, and both valves go smoothly up-and-down as I turn the engine by hand. But besides checking/adjusting the valve-to-tappet clearance, do I need to remove the valves to clean them? If so, how?

Setting the points is my big challenge. The service manual says the points should open when the S or SP flywheel mark appears in the center of the timing sight hole - which is on the bearing plate or blower housing. Okay that sounds simple, but I can't find the timing sight hole. Can anyone provide an illustration or photo of where this sight hole is located?

Thanks,
Roy

Roy:
Right side of engine, you gotta peek under the generator bracket on a little bit of an angle. When I did mine last time, I started the engine up and with it running dragged a screwdriver on the flywheel long enough to scraped the dirt and corrosion off that were hiding the marks (carefully, your results may vary, this tip is solely mine, not provided or endorsed by the Forum..)
88233.jpg

Richard:
Just thought I'd mention that the smoke in that picture was <u>not</u> the chainsaw running (wood furnace just out of site..).
I wonder what F-key combo we punch to get the Grump back.......
rant.gif

My new to me wheel weights arrived today.
88237.jpg

88238.jpg

By using my fancy dancy bathroom scale, these weigh in the 60-65 pound range each(If I listed the exact weight, my wife Becka would acuse me of believing the bath scale again) They have 615 on the back side, any clue as to what they fit originally?

Michael R.-

Assuming we're still talking about your carb since I have no idea who you are referring to, then I'd say it's probably a Carter. Just go to your local Cub Cadet dealer and tell them you need a carb kit for a 100.

David R.-

I want to say 3/16", but I need to check the material I bought to see.

Michael, are you married? The scale weighs every thing 3 lbs light. I have never seen a(any) woman who likes a scale, unless they are losing weight. My wife Becka is 7 months pregnant with our 1st child. The scale reads zero empty, but with a 5lb barbell weight it says 2,10 lb 7 and so on.

Matt G, I hope he is responding to my post. If not then my last post will not make sense at all.

Charlie...isn't that first Moline sweeeeeet

That's one street rodders would proud to own.
drool.gif

Todd H.-

And if you're right and I'm wrong...then it's me...
happy.gif

I don't think anybody knows but him.

Michael R.-

Surely they are not so dumb that they can't get it for you if you provide a part number. All they have to do is enter the number into their computer. You could try. It can't order itself
wink.gif

no i will not deal with ours
we tried ordering parts for my brothers 70 and they looked us right in the eye and tried telling the model 70 never existed then after proving it did they said it had a 10 hp

Michael, see the colored boxes at the top of the page? Click on the one that says "Madson's Service, Inc." then call their telephone number and ask for Scott, tell him what you need and he'll take care of the rest.

A bit of an oddball question for the Kohler gurus out there; I've taken apart a few fuel pumps and I've noticed that depending on engine model the fuel pump would contain different springs. I'm assuming Kohler has some sort of service bulletin explaining the different springs, and what their associated fuel pressure / flow is. Any ideas?

Here's some springs:
88241.jpg

Left to right is a CV-series Kohler, a K301, and a KT 17.

awhile back someone posted the sales list for the 70/100 series it had all the prices on it. if someone could post it again it'd be great. thanks

Latest posts

Back