• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 23, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydroharry

displayname
Harry Bursell
Thanks for the cart info guys.

Paul T - can you try to post your pic again. I think you caught the archive bug and exceeded the limit for the last page.

I'll try again, Harry.

287714.jpg

Paul - thanks for posting the pic of your tag. certainly looks much nicer than my son's, and you can read all the numbers too! I'm checking with my son on the small tag shown in my pic and get better info on it.

Dear Doug: Thanks for reinforcing my opinion of the cast end deck (I call it the "pin on" deck). I consider it a mini bush hog. Here, in the mid-1960's a "manicured lawn" wasn't common! A 123 with a mowing deck was also out of the question. My first lawn mower was a reel type powered by a Briggs and I was using it at 9 years old - mowing a steep hill (up and down). I'd cringe to see a 9 year old do that today! We did get a rotary push mower and I made a few $ with it. Even then I read, and remember reading that to make your mowing job look good from the road - mow parallel to the road. That probably came from Mechanics Illustrated. Anyway -- hang on to that 123, they're special. I'm back down to 1, now and it will stay. As a matter of fact, Art is sending me a spring assist for it.
happy.gif
happy.gif

https://www.ihcubcadet.com/forum/messages/4/287619.jpg

Kraig yeah thats exactly right (red line). I've superglued it, using a washer across the top of it to give the glue something to hold on to, but it usually comes off after a couple uses. I've never drilled and tapped before, might want to ask mu mechanic friend about that before I try it on my carb. I do have a junk 1450, will the carb on that one bolt up and work on a 129?

Frank:....ANY 9 year old kid, or older (specially older), for that matter,....Doing ANYTHING out in the yard to help out now-a-days would be a rarity. They would have to be physically torn away from in front of the MTV, cell phone, or video game and removed from the house.

Around here, one never sees kids in that age bracket outside doing anything. Really sad.

When I was that age, I couldn't wait to get home after school to see what was going on, (Dad was a small contractor) and I'd be out there helping strip forms, dig trenches, mix, pour and finish concrete, lay pipe whatever, and was running a backhoe at 12 years old. Also plowing gardens in the spring w/a David Bradley GT. I only wish he would have known about Cub Cadets when they became available!

Tristan, I believe the 14hp in your 1450 used a larger carb than the 12hp in the 129. I would think your mechanic friend would have a set of taps and he should be able to repair the carb. Probably a good idea to get a carb rebuild kit and clean and rebuild it at the same time. Actually, now that I think about it, the rebuild kit should have a replacement throttle shaft that is already drilled and tapped.

287721.jpg

DAVID - Yes, to all your comments... what's REALLY sad was when I was nine years old, I was doing field work on full sized tractors, cultivating corn, mowing/raking hay, driving the tractor on the baler, hauling water & feed to the hogs out in the hog pastures.

Hello I am new to cub cadets.Just inherited several older models. I am starting with the 1650 because it's in best shape and has a few attachments that will be fun. My question is should there be a lot of camber/caster ( top of wheel tips out) on the front wheels.

Doug, WELCOME!
groupwave.gif
WELCOME.gif

There should be some noticeable camber. Are both sides the same or does one side have significantly more?

WELCOME.gif

Doug

I'm from Marcellus, my brother lives in Phoenix

The fronts may or may not have camber, usually a function of how many things the front end has hit over the years. IIRC, they came with a little tip out at the top.

They seem equal. The spindle brackets seem to be made to have camber.just looks like alot. Nothing appears bent to the eye
Your brother may know these tractors then. They have been in Phoenix all of there lives

Doug, that series of Cub Cadet seems, at least to me, to have more camber than the other series of Cub Cadets. BTW, we call the 800, 1000, 1200, 1250, 1450 and 1650 models the "Quiet Line" series. Here's a couple of examples of typical camber from that series of Cub Cadet.

287734.jpg

287735.jpg

...and, as long as they don't have this much camber you should be OK.

287737.jpg

Well it might be more than them but not broke. I'll post a pic later after work. Doesn't seem to have much surface area of tire on the ground.

Doug E - if one side appears off more than the other I'd pull the wheel check the wheel bearings. If the bearing has completely failed it doesn't take long to ruin the shaft on a spindle.

Right side is more than left. Bearings seem ok. Just a very little play on inner right front bearing

Doug E - did you pull the wheel to check the bearings? You can't necessarily tell it's failed by just spinning and pulling back/forth. Also, I don't recall the spec for "end play" but the Service Manual will help you. You very likely will need some shims. It could also be a problem within the spindle itself. You can remove the wheel and check play in the spindle insert bolt. It's hardly ever the problem but could be.

I did pull wheel. Going to start by getting new bearings because inner is a little sloppy by hand. Weight of tractor may amplifie.i don't know for sure. If not I will by spindel. Looks ok but I don't know proper angle

Doug E - the bearing could be a little sloppy and still be ok. I think you need to check the end play. If the wheel slides back and forth on the spindle when there is no weight on it then that slop will transfer into camber. You might only need some shims. If you don't have the Service Manual go back to the main thread and scroll down to the Manual listing, click on it and select Service Manuals, then select 1x8/9 and QL (Quiet Line). It's a big pdf file and takes awhile to download. Should be info on proper toe in as well.

Latest posts

Back