• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 22, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lifted the hood on a 124 to refuel and check the oil level and found the notorious oily head bolt. I then proceeded to do an unscheduled decarbon and head gasket check. Everything was fine and just needed cleaning. This is a tractor I got recently with the 59M shredder and I didn't do any more than needed in the beginning. It has run flawlessly and very well so it became a puller for yard work. I did replace the points, air filter, etc for peace of mind and timed it. As I took parts off of the engine today I noticed more and more dirt. I guess this is just a reminder of the power of compressed air and a good running machine. If you see an oily area come up around a head bolt it's a reminder of time for a little maintenence if not worse. Go ahead and pull the head and get it right before it really costs.

This is just my .02 worth for the day. My day was once again planned by one of my cubs. I thought I had other things to do.

Dave-thank you for referring me to the information here. The FAQ's are very helpful. I should have mentioned that I have read these and completed the new springs and also the trunion repair as well as shim all the brackets to get the slop out. So I should be as good as it gets.
My point is that this hydro unit seems to be not as strong as my other two that I have in my other 1250 and my 149.
Has anybody experienced this?

Mark, Have you checked the charge pump pressures? I found the recomended pressures in the FAQ here. It would be a place to start.
happy.gif

Hello Fellow Forum Members:

Thanks for all the help on my Valve / Head Gasket issues. CCO 4740 is back on the job for the 1st time since about a year ago. U know, I just may do a rattle can / decal job on it.

Mark

I recently purchased a 122 with 48" deck. I replaced the blades and noticed the middle blades seems to be tipped by 1/2". The spindle looks straight and nothing looks bent. Any suggestions on why the center blade might be off? I read the manual and doesn't stay anything about adjustments.

Not the greatest pic ever posted here:
226777.jpg

but there's a heck of a story that goes with it--
We took a couple hours a couple days ago and tied the 36" deck that I got from Lewis Palma to the 123 that Jim Chabot hauled up here for me (or was it Al Sionni?). Whatever... a friend needed a mower so it went to his house. He ran it less than a half hour and bad things happened. My original "diagnosis" was that the screws that hold the shroud for the driveshaft fan came loose and the shroud fell into the fan and caused a chin reaction the cleaned out the metal fan (I found one blade).
I guess what I'm trying to say, here, is if you've got a Narrow Frame tractor don't let those 4 little screws that hold the fan shroud get loose enough to let the fan catch it.
But wait, there's more: After getting to the point that the pic shows, we found that the rag joint is also toast and the back end of the driveshaft had been a long time wearing itself loose.
I'm content with knowing that these things happen.
happy.gif

J LOW - Welcome to the forum. It's pretty hard to imagine ALL the stuff a 45 year old tractor & mower have been driven and mowed over, but I suspect your mower deck housing has been bent where the center spindle bolts to the deck. The spindle housing is only a couple inches wide and the blade is over 16 inches long so a little distortion gets amplified a LOT. The older decks were made from pretty heavy steel but they will still bend.

I'd take the deck off and pull the top belt covers and pull the center spindle. You should set the deck on a pair of saw horses or a sturdy table. Use a straight edge like a ruler or square to make sure the deck is flat across where the spindle bolts to. I think you'll find one side is high or low. A little "Adjusting" with a hammer should straighten things up. Might want to check the other two spindles also. I always try to get the ends of the blades within a sixteenth of an inch. Sometimes you may have to use flat washers between the spindle and the blades to get them all level.

Frank,
Looks like a mess.Time to get some parts from our sponsors.
I like your wheelbarrow.I have one just like it.

I'm setting up the 129 with a Brinly plow and I have a question about the land screw adjustment. Is the tab that holds the land screw threaded or is it a jam nut situation? I can't find much info about or pics of this adjustment other than the write-up and it doesn't go into how the screw itself works. I know it's a matter of putting pressure and the plow I'm working with isn't threaded.

TIA!

Latest posts

Back