• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 19, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hello all, im new here. I recently aquired a cub cadet which was built by a master machinist/aviation mechanic(built fighter jets for grumman) The builder has passed away so therefore i cannot ask him questions about this tractor or the many others he left behind. The decals say its a 149 but im not sure if he just put them on there or what. If someone could tell me what model this is that would be great. Anyway i thought id show you all this cub cadet he built from the ground up with many custom parts. It has a vanguard engine with custom motor mounts, custom made intake manifold, custom oil filter mount. retrofitted aviation wheels onto the front with custom hubs, and much more... Tractor runs and works better than new, This thing is a beast! Anyway heres the pics hope you enjoy them.
59493.jpg

59494.jpg

59495.jpg

59496.jpg

59497.jpg

59498.jpg

59499.jpg

59500.jpg

I recently purchased a IH Cub Cadet Original from an individual who purchased it 5 years earlier from another individual in Manteo N.C. who stated it once belonged to Andy Griffith. He stated the Cub was given to Andy for an endorsement gift maybe to do with the TV show.
The serial number is 18466 (Oct. 1961)
Does anyone have any ideas on how to prove this since Andy Griffith is a very private person and basically unavailable. Thanks, Phil

Andrew L., that most likely started out as a 149, the main chassis looks to be a 149. I do see some custom parts on it. Very interesting Cub, thanks for sharing. Custom, hydro control lever, custom hood latches. Non-standard colors on the Hydraulic lift handle and liftstop control knob and manual PTO engagement lever, dash tin color.

Phil, hmmm, could be, it would be a good Cub to own if that story could be verified. For some reason I vaguely recall seeing some promotion with Andy Griffith. I'll have to look through Hank W's book and the books that Ken U. wrote and see if that's where I saw it.

groupwave.gif

BTW, WELCOME TO BOTH OF YOU!
happy.gif

groupwave.gif

Bryan, 59M followup.
Our nearest large cub dealer and Internet dealer parts lookups all show the springs, (P/N 59638-C1), still NLA contrary to your information. My initial post was an inquiry to see if someone had the springs in good enough condition to provide a brief summary of what the springs should be. Thanks for your input.
Myron B.
The CPE-2, Section E covers both series, 1973-1977.

Marion F: Why would you think I don't know what's in CPE-2?...I believe I did tell you there were two versions, one with those springs being discussed and one without. That information is also shown in the Operators Manual for each version..both also in the CCSupplyRoom library..My 59M is the 73-77 version with a Ser # above 1350003U008000 which I have mounted on a 1975 QL Model 1200.

Myron B
www.CCSupplyRoom.com

I've been having trouble with the drive shaft on my 123. Some idiot (me, 10 years ago) used a bolt instead of the correct pin to connect the drive shaft to the engine. Of course when I got wiser and tried to use the correct pin the hole was warn to big so I drilled it out to the next size pin... see where this is going? yep, I broke the end of the drive shaft off. Now I can't get any pin in there. At least I didn't weld it to the crank, right?

Anyway, Does anyone know if I can use the drive shaft and coupler from a 1250 with little or no modifications?

I remember seeing some pictures of someone putting in a nice u joint to connect the drive shaft. Has anyone else done that and does it work well?

Thanks

Andrew L.
Nice looking vangaurd installation on the 149. Question, what does the mechanical PTO lever do now that it appears to have an electrical PTO?

Richard, the mechanical pto lever activates the electronic pto via an electrical switch mounted on the opposite side by where your right foot would be.

Marion F,
I found springs in a similar condition when I bought an old M59. I located a suitable replacement at Tractor Supply Co. The part number is C-828 from Century Spring Corp, Los Angeles. The packaging describes it as 3/4" x 3 1/2" x 0.135" utility compression spring. The spring has 17 coils, with the ground ends that you describe - although it is possible that I ground the ends flat myself. They cost $3.49 a pair 5 years ago.
The springs are pretty stiff; I really have to lean on the shredder to install the belt. But then when you think about it, they have to pivot the weight of the shredder upwards against gravity and still have enough force to maintain good belt tension. My M59 was rusted and damaged where the belt tensioning support [part 6] pushes against the side plates. No wonder the design was changed to include an idler pulley to supply belt tension instead. Too bad IH did not update the design to include a flywheel with chipping knife before discontinuing the M59.
If you have any trouble finding springs that will work for you, contact me directly and I will check if they are still available at TSC.
Good Luck, J. Michael

Latest posts

Back