• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 13, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard,
Did your dealer retrofit a narrow frame creeper in that Original or did he do something to the shifter?

Well, here's the first pics I have of my model 73.

I already put it to work. Yesterday I pulled about 1200lbs. of wood for my old HS shop as the county is tearing down their storage shed. The little Cub handled it with no sweat.

Then tonight I had to move a Murray to mow so I figured I could consolidate everything by putting it on the trailer and I pulled it out of the way.
28667.jpg

28668.jpg

Kevin L.
That tractor is probably as original as you can find. That is the original paint, was sold here and owned by one gentleman up until he sold it to the Cub Dealer here a couple of years ago. I don't think the rear blade was ever used. I don't know when the creeper was installed but I imagine it was soon after purchase if not when purchased.

28672.jpg

A couple questions for you guys. If you were starting from scratch with a cub cadet wide frame and the sky was the limit, what would you do. I'm thinking it needs a ported hydro and maybe a rear pto. I don't plan to use it for mowing, but I would like the capability. Mostly I want it to be able to do anything and everything. Except probably no loader. I'm thinking of boring out the 12 horse to a 14... but I'm not sure yet, don't even have a motor for it at this point.

Other question, I see round fenders on some tractors and not on others, were they standard issue or were they an option? Or did they just rust and get damaged and people ditched them over the years?

Just wondering.

Chuck

Chuck,
I belive the round fenders where an option for the tractor that they fit on. the flat fenders I do belive came with the tractors.

If you go wide frame, why not go with a two cylinder Magnum or Camand?? Plus, the Quiet Line/ X82 fenders are very nice.
happy.gif
Do not forget Hydro lift while your at it.

CHUCK F. - Round fenders were an option on the 1961 to 1963 Cub Cadet and the 70/100, 71, 72, & 73. Flattop fenders were standard on the 102/122/123/104/105/124/125. The more curved profiled fenders were standard on the 106/107/126/127/147/108/109/128/129/149/169 and all the later Quietline & red tractors.

Lets see, if I had a wide frame Cub Cadet and the sky was the limit..........Guess I would take the wide frame out behind the garage and go buy me a 782D or newer model.

28674.jpg

Chuck F.-

Keep in mind that if you are using all IH Cub Cadet parts that you can't have a ported hydro and a rear pto, because the rear pto was only for the gear drive tractors. It could work if you use the electric rear pto out of a 982 or something similar though.

Matt, well, that puts an end to that plan. I didn't know that the hydro's couldn't have a rear PTO, but it makes sense. I was wondering about that actually.

I have 2 1250's, one that I use was given to me by my dad so I want to leave that one alone for a while. The other one is missing a few parts, like everything front of the steering colum. I am going to take the rubber off of the roller and use it on my mower because its in better shape, but I'd like to rebuild the roller into something really cool. Richards tractor is damn hot! But I don't have an unlimited budget, actually at this point I don't have any budget, but I thought I would start getting some ideas. I think I'll stick with the single cyl Kohler for now. They seem to be cheap enough, and everyone on here knows a ton about them. So advice is never far away.

Thansk for the input though, if you have any other ideas and or tips, let me know. Are those belt driven tillers any good?

Chuck

P.S. thanks for the info on the round fenders... I don't plan on using them on my QL's, so don't freak, just wondered why some tractors had them and others didn't. I like the old round fenders though, they are cool. I'd like to get an original someday with round fenders, but thats a long way off... Thanks again.

How common are those 3pt rear blades? I've looked at the Brinly equivalent and the IH one seems much more rugged. I'd like to have one to maintain my driveway...

Grease fitting on my 149 is clogged up. What is the best fix. I think they are pressed fittings

Herbert -

2 options. Replace it with the same style zerk (McMaster or some such place) or with a threaded zerk (any auto parts section should have them).

With things apart so you don't mess up what's being greased, whack the fitting perpendicular with a hammer - this will bust off the outside. The inside will either fall out or easily push out with a hammer and punch. Then tap in a new one, or tap the hole and screw in a new one.

A very efficient removal technique that I learned from Dan H...

I'm hoping to pick up my 147 tommorow, its got all 4 tires flat and shredded will my rims & tires from the 109 fit so I can move the 147 easier.My search found somthing vague about reversing the front rims so the stem is on the inside? Thanks

Herbert -

No problem. I should mention that if you use the push-in type, select the smallest 1/4" drive socket that fits over the "bulb" of the zerk and makes contact with the zerk's base - you can use this with a hammer to tap the new zerk in.

Don B.-

Yes, they will fit. You might have to put the front ones on "backwards" so the valve stem doesn't hit the spindle. I think the narrowframe
16x6.5x8 wheel is the same as one for a wideframe except the valve stem goes on the opposite side.

Matt and Chuck,

Some of the 982's have a ported hydro with rear pto. My friend at work has an IH built 982 (hydro) with with rear pto and front hyd outlets.

Matt, Chuck, Adrian,

The rear PTO's you are discussing are 2 completely different animals.

Gear drive: Driven off of top shaft, not "live", 515 rpm CCW, no implements designed for it, usefull for bale elevators.

SGT: Live PTO driven off the rear stub shaft out the back of the hydro, through a double V-belt to an electric clutch, 2000 rpm CW, uses "standard" cat. 0 3pt. hitch PTO driven implements, only available for the Super Garden Tractors with 3pt. hitch option.

Latest posts

Back