• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 10, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut grass today for about an hour and had to shut the pto off to open a gate. The pto would not turn back on. I had to let it sit for 10 min. and it worked for about an hour till I stopped to put gas in and it would not turn on again. Had to wait for another 10 15 min. Does this mean the electric pto is going out or the switch or both?

BILL- FWIW: My first job was at a Simplicity dealership.. Company policy there was, Kohlers always got 10w-30, and Briggs always got straight 30 weight. At the Deere dealer where I am currently employed, We use "Turf-guard" oil, (There is 5w-30 and 10w-30, and I swear I saw some straight 30 weight.) Turf-guard is part of John Deere's proprietary oil line.. (hy-guard, turf-guard, PLUS 50-II, etc..) So, would 10w-40 work? Maybe. Have I run it? no.. Couldn't tell you what the outcome would be. I did find this nice graph for you. It SAYS it will work.. But don't take my word for it. HOPEFULLY Someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in.
259411.jpg

Keith O - I doubt it would be the switch, although the switches can be figgetty (sp?). Sounds more like your field coil in the PTO is getting to hot and shorting. I think I'd make sure the gap for your disc clearances are good. It's not hard to check, just need a feeler gauge to check the gap as I recall, but follow direction in the Service manual. If the gap checks out ok then it's likely your field coil is going to fail soon. It could also be you're leaking exhaust around the tin muffler box and it's heating up the PTO more than normal, causing the coil to short when it's really hot, so make sure your exhaust is existing in the front, and that your tin work on the engine itself is in place so the air blowing from the flywheel is cooling the head fins and blowing across the muffler box duct mount.
If your coil is failing you used to be able to buy just the replacement field coil and I think one of the sponsors has it. If you buy the whole electric PTO it's pricey. Couple of the sponsors might have a used one or you could post to the wanted section. I'd suggest to start hunting for the replacement now. The whole assembly is a pretty straight forward clutch assembly. When you do replace yours I'd check the bearing (but doubt that would be your current problem) and check the discs to make sure they are clean and not warped up.

Bill J - long time ago someone on here mentioned what an old timer told him "oil is oil, some is better than none". Sounded to me like he'd use just about anything that claimed to be oil. Yes it will work - but how "well" will it work. I see Charles posted about a Simple dealership using nothing but 10w30 in Kohlers. I would not be going back to that place. Can you use straight 40W? Yes, I suppose, and in hotter summer temps like you get in VA I'd think you'd be ok. And yes, I've heard of straight 40W, more often as a racing oil. I wouldn't want to use 10W40 in these old engines unless maybe you're already getting blow by, then it might just help, or it might just burn more oil on you than straight 30W. Please be aware the IH Operator Manual says "Do Not Substitute 10W30 or 10W40" when temps are in the 32degrees or higher range. If I were you I'd just spring for the good 30W stuff, and even go for the low ash type. The older your engine the better you need to care for it. I'd say don't wait for 25-30hours to change the oil - do it at 20hours.

Kraig - glad to see you're still out here!!

Yes and no...still have the Pug, had to let the guitar go. SWMBO bought me a PRS Custom for my birthday last year. Lord only knows what I did to deserve it but it sure is fun to play.

Gerry: I found that torque value online this morning...I actually had a copy of the service manual but the Cub is so reliable, I'd forgotten where I put it.

I'm going to try to pick up a gasket today. I was thinking I'd just slap the head back on and turn the boy loose with the mower but, for $20, I'll just buy one.

BTW, had to sell my 129 a couple years back...it was just sitting around doing nothing and it seemed a waste. The old 782 still earns it's keep, though.

I'm really glad you guys are still out here Cubbin' away. This forum is just the best.

Frank: The manual says 15 to 20 pounds...do you really crank them down to 35??

Kraig: Those photos of that collection were stunning. Jaw-dropping.

Picked up a driveshaft yesterday for the hacked up 149, looked in good shape, got it home, looks to be an inch too short, gotta pull tunnel cover and side tin off the 129 and measure..... Question - what model used a diecast metal fan on the driveshaft, with set screws? Coupling, front drive pin, flex disks all in good shape on it

Gerry, my 147 had a die-cast metal fan blade with set screws on it when I got it. rodney

Gerry I,

I know 1x7 hydros used the metal fan. The 123 and 1X5 hydros may have also but not 100% certain. Hope this helps.

Craig, one of my BILs has a PRS, VERY nice guitar.
happy.gif
My oldest sister makes custom guitar straps. Not cheap but some of the nicest straps I've ever used.

Rulien's Lost Muse/Buffalo Straps

Gerry, does it look like this one? If so, it could be a 123, 1x5 or a 1x7.

259417.jpg

Rodney and Ron - thanks.. Heading to the barn now to look at 129, but I see from CCspecialties that 127 and 129 are different PN's and with metal fan, this is probably a 127 DS ... I'm supposed to go back up there this week, I'll see what else he's got...

Well, that proves my "eyball Mic" is still calibrated
happy.gif
(I said it looked an inch short..) I may just get some cold roll stock and change it...

Thanks for the chart, Charlie.. (already printed it out ..)

I'm guessin' there'll be a little lathe time soon - a 1" billet spacer will solve the problem..... Like I said, the rest of the DS is like new, drive pin, couplings etc. ...

I would appreciate some help. As I posted yesterday, my 147 engine needs some TLC after getting it back from my son who borrowed it for six years. It starts and runs good for about 1-2 minutes and then it loses power to the extent that it barely can move itself. I found a similar post in the vault (Pat Keenan's post on Aug 12, 2007) about a possible weak coil. I swapped my 149 coil and the problem still exists. Any suggestions where to look next?

Brian J... Check the vent in your gas cap. Your description is about the time it takes for a vacuum to form restricting fuel flow thus power....

Brian J.

Check for deteriorated fuel lines, plugged filter, debris in carb bowl, etc. Fuel should flow out of the line and into the carb in a nice steady stream. (blow backwards into tank with air line "carefully" to check for debris at pet-cock.

Drain all gas a start fresh as well.....

Good rule of thumb: If pulling the choke out solves the problem or helps keep it running longer, it's a fuel issue.

I have found that sometimes it's just best to invest in $10-15 worth of new fuel lines and a in-line filter and know it's OK.

Otherwise, rebuild the carb......

Steve - your post including the pulling the choke comment made me grin ...it seems I always run out of gas in the back yard... pulling the choke'll keep it running long enough to get it back to the barn - wonder if anyone else is , umm, that enrgy conservative... (I'd rather ride the 129 than carry a 6 gallon gas can)..

Latest posts

Back