• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through June 03, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfsirois

displayname
John Francis Sirois
I will try the photo again. mouse tail photo soon
john
152655.jpg

152656.jpg

Hi all, Having a great season so far with my 782 keeping up with mowing and our newborn babygirl I sent the tractor out this year for the 25 year go over oil and tune. after 135.00 It runs great and the top 20 annoyances are no more. thanks village power of berlin mass. Anyway tonight the tractor would sputter and die when mowing down hill, Turned out to be the seat activated kill switch. either its bad or i need to reposition or add body weight. I bypassed the switch an everything is great finished the lawn with the lights on, sweet. Then a lot of smoke and a little FIRE!
Must See photo above.
IMG_5239_1_2_1.JPG
A flashlight revieled possible mouse tails,fur and leaves packed in around the cylinder cooling fins. I have blown out suspected nests before but never an incineration like this!
Has anyone had this problem? should I decon? how do I get all that stuff out of there? did the clog cause excess heat(i'm sure)or is my engine running too lean (maybe) Thanks for listening John

ps thanks again for all the help with the haban blower during our last winter storm. a backup blower is in the barn with a double overhaul in the works

Hey Haven't posted in a while.
All these post about PTO's made me think of the one I took of my 100 a few weeks back,
this was on it
152659.jpg

I think this is for the 149 with the brake?
TIA

Shhhhh... I'll try to be quiet here - seems everyone is still asleep...
coffee.gif

(Was Kendall here?
clappy.gif
)

Not asleep, just nothing to say at the moment. I've been up for hours...$#@! jet lag...

Lewis P: That item in your photo appears to be an idler pulley with the center cut out....Whatever it is, it does not go on any IH mechanical PTO.

Myron B

Myron, Lewis, that appears to be just the cast "pulley" portion of a mechanical PTO. Basically a PTO skeleton.
dunno.gif
I lightened and enlarged the photo slightly. It would appear to be the third type that Myron listed yesterday that would use the #759-3489 Kit for a rebuild.

152666.jpg

Thanks for accepting my application. I am a new guy on the block. I have a 1496 the starter is inop with key switch. I can jump the starter relay and will start and run. Have by passed the seat,pedal,and the PTO safety switches. Will not start with key. Am I missing something?

Don N i think you have to ask here CCC and MTD Machines & Equipment. I think your asking on the wrong place. Good luck and welcome . Later Don T
1a_scratchhead.gif

I spent some quality time with my camera last night and took photos of all my mechanical PTOs for comparison.

First up are the 3 loose PTOs that I have. There are two styles here one of the first type Myron mentioned and two of the third type, one of which has the brake center button, the other has the normal flat style center button.

152668.jpg

Next we have the first type, this one being on "Killer", I noticed that the brass button is not resting centered on the PTO button??? Could the engine be mounted slightly cocked?
1a_scratchhead.gif

152669.jpg

Next we have another first type, this being on a non-running 105 that I have.

152670.jpg

Last is the second type PTO with the cast Posts to hold the springs but without the notches for the mechanical brake. This one is mounted on a K301 that was in my #2 125. I believe that Charlie provided this one to me a year or so ago.
happy.gif
UNDER EDIT: after a look through my archives, I discovered that this PTO was on a K301 that came in a 125 that I parted. That K301 is the engine that David Kirk rebuilt for me, now known as "Killer".

152671.jpg

And while I had the camera out I decided to take a few photos of the pith helmet I mentioned a few days ago. I got it wrong it wasn't an Allis Chalmers pith helmet, it is a Case pith helmet.

152672.jpg

152673.jpg

Next we have the first type, this one being on "Killer", I noticed that the brass button is not resting centered on the PTO button??? Could the engine be mounted slightly cocked?

Kraig just put a washer on one side of the arm to center the brass button. my .02

Kraig,
That helmet is pretty neat. Even Flambeau Red and Desert Sand colors. I grew up driving a Case 530. I had to beg my grandpa to teach me to drive. He wouldn't, but my grandma did! I brush hogged a lot of sage brush and sulfer weed when I was a teenager with that Case and Sidewinder brush hog.

Anyway, I just emailed a guy trying to trade my boat, motor and trailer for a 102. I hope he bites. I think my dad would like it out of the hay lot. Trans is shot, but the trailer is worth the trade I'd think.

Kraig On that first picture of the PTO's the one on the top right side looks like it only has one flat spring on it. I don't think I have ever seen them perfectly aligned up. But then what do I know I'm an electric PTO kind of guy.

KRAIG - I think Don has it right, those disengagement levers & shafts slide side-to-side a bit. Once the thrust button wears into the brass or fiber wear button they always seem to align themselves in the same place. You may have to remove the brass button and file the face flat or try to grind a small depression into it to get it centered properly.

Denny, I may have to do like you suggest. I'm not sure what Don is suggesting with a washer, unless he's suggesting I weld a washer on the pivot to hold the lever in position??

Richard, yep only one flat spring on that PTO. I was going to mention that but forgot when I was typing.
blush.gif
I believe that is the PTO that I got from Charlie. I thought I had put it on my #2 125 but I must have mixed them up and put on the one I took off of a parts 125 that I had parted out.
dunno.gif
dizzy.gif

Kraig I think what Don is saying is just shim the arm with a washer on either side of the frame to center the arm on the PTO. I did that when I converted one of my non brake systems to the brake system and had to replace the arm.

Richard, on a narrow frame there is nothing to shim against. The rod can move side to side through the grill casting and is only stopped by the ends of the rod where they bottom out against the inside of the frame.
1a_scratchhead.gif
Where would I place the washer(s)?

152698.jpg

BTW, this is a photo of the 125 that I parted several years back.

Richrd C you are right on. i used a washer on my Cub to center the button and it worked great.I wanted the button to be centered so i would get the most out of it.Well time to do some Cub work. Have a great day

Kraig, it was my 129 and a put the washer next to the frame and the cotter key to help align the pto button.But i think a dab of weld on the end of the shaft you posted would work for you. Later Don T

Latest posts

Back