Archive through June 01, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve, good point about the fire hazard. I didn't think of that. Well maybe I need to rethink this then.

Chuck

Chuck F.,

I certainly agree with Steve B. about the restrictive nature of some perforated or expanded metal styles. I've noticed that the type IH selected for this lower screen is low restriction and tends to collect very little chaf that blows through the engine cooling system.

As for an exhaust deflector, you could always do something like this. It's made from 1.5 OD steel exhaust tubing.
28553.jpg

My 55 never had that option on it
proud.gif

On grill screens, Stinky has the "holy" style screening behind the casting. I take it it would be better to remove the screening and leave the grill casting only??

Ted I: Nope.Leave that screen there. Just put a roll of screen (fm the hdw store) at the bottom. This will prevent grass/dust particles from entering from below and it wont clog and cause overheating in heavy use. Got one too. Been there & done that. That factory screen is to prevent clogging the radiator. Clean it after every use.
Myron B

David, that is sweet, did you have it chrome plated too? Nice work. Is that a 1450 or a 1650? I like my 1250 a bunch, I'm getting another 1250 roller chassy for 75 bucks. Its in almost as good if not better shape than the one I have now. I'll probably build one up while I use the other. I'm thinking of getting a 12 horse and punching it out to a 14. Maybe I'll even track down some lights. I need to find a 3 point, a hydro with the ports for the hydro lift, and of course the hydro lift.

Anyway, thanks again for the pic.

Hey Myron B, what the heck are you talking about there? Where should we put the screen from the hardware store?

Chuck

There are 12 - 16HP K341PT Kohlers coming up for auction on the govgovliquidation auction site. Each one has an individual bid/lot nr and they are located at the Great Lakes, IL surplus site.

I have no idea whether they will fit a cub directly or are just basically parts sources. If I was into single cyl cubs I would be bidding.

Go to: http://www.govliquidation.com/index.html
and enter K341PT into the search box. Bidding starts June 14 and ends on the 16th. Needless to say, work together to get a decent price.

Jim, thanks for the info, thats an interesting site, never been there before.

Chuck

Myron,

We were talking about std. air cooled engines, not the liquid cooled diesels.......no radiators there....

Chuck,

I would not mess with the lower grill screen......in fact the lower grill screen material is very unique and was a common sourced item with the IH Scout truck line.

Chuck,

That pipe is made from auto exhaust tubing, purchased pre-bent (45 degree bend) from J.C. Whitney. It was then taken to a plater for show chrome plating. The tractor is a 1250 with hydraulic lift, installed several years ago. I'm a Quiet Line fan too.

David K., come on now 'fess up, that's not a garden variety 1250 you have there. For those not familiar with David's 1250, Click Here and HERE. these are links to PDF files and may take a while to download.

Kraig - shouldn't that read "that's not your killer variety..."?

Kraig, thanks for that, I just finished reading through both those pdf's. Thats a heck of a write up on a K301. I didn't realize that was the same David Kirk that has the website for the engine stuff. That 1250 is awesome! I hope my 1250 looks like that someday.

Hey David, is that the only Cub you have?

Chuck

Kraig, Rick & Chuck,

Thanks for the nice remarks. Quiet Lines just have the styling that I like plus the single cylinder Kohler, one of my all time favorite engines. I do have another Cub, a 107 that's unrestored but in very good shape.

A while back I saw a post about coating the underside of mowing decks with a non-stick product from Wal-Mart. Well, now I'm convinced I need to do something like that and I'd like the info on the product again. Anyone remember? Will you give me a link or just tell me what the coating is? Thanks!

PHILLIP - The Stuff most people use on the underside of our decks probably won't be on the shelves at Wal-Mart. You would have better luck at a farm & home center like Farm & Fleet, Tractor Supply... or an ag equipment dealer. It's a high solids graphite paint. It was originally developed for use on wagon & truck boxes to allow wet corn & soybeans to slide out easier when dumping the loads. Grainger & McMaster-Carr also sell it.

David K., is your 107 the one your parents had or 'just' another 107?

Phillip, Denny and Rick are each correct as both products have been used on mower decks, and several people over the years have reporting back with good results. I need to try one of the products on one of my mower decks sometime as the grass sure builds up on it. Seeing as I use the graphite paint on my snowthrower and have some on hand that's what I'll likely use. Now if I can just find the time to work on it.

Latest posts

Back