• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 31, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In lieu of a horn on the 782D at Paul Dyer's Plow Day this year...

242558.jpg

Harry B - Good info on the engines. I really like my 109, it's very complete and in pretty good shape. I don't plan on changing out the engine, but...

I've got a 14hp engine in my 1650 and a 16hp on my bench. Both of these are AQS engines. I think I'm going to rebuild (if needed) the 16 hp engine and put in the 1650. That leaves me with a 14 hp AQS engine for a spare. I thought that if I ever wanted to swap out that engine or found a 1X9 tractor less an engine, the 14 hp AQS might be a drop-in replacement. I think there's to much to change over between a QL and a 1x9 tractor.

On another note - your comment about the S/G starting the engine easily to Larry K, that holds true for this 109. It really is an easy cranking tractor. Seems like it fires on the first start every time - except when I run it out of gas...
bash.gif

I've got a speed-up pulley for the 1650's 44 inch deck (which is in pieces like the 1650) and I'm thinking about giving it a try on the 109's 44 inch deck. Hopefully it won't bog the motor down to much - or at least be manigable. The 10 hp in this tractor seems very strong and I'd like to use the tractor for a goodly bit of mowing chores, so a premium cut of the grass is essential.

Speaking of power - anyone using a moldboard plow or snow thrower with a 10hp Cub Cadet hydro model? Is there enough power for these attachments?

Bill J. I used to use a 105 with a 36" snowthrower and had no problem with that 10 horse Kohler. They are good little engines.

What happens if a serial number tag said it was built in tennessee what company was that made by IH or ccc
Thank to anyone who helps
Troy

Bill J - based on your previous engine discussion details over the last several posts I was kinda wondering if you were thinking about a 10 to 14hp conversion for the 109. One thing I did mention that I need to correct. I said the 10hp xx9 flywheel and shroud wouldn't fit the 14hp. I believe they will actually fit but I definitely would not recommend using the 10hp flywheel on a 14hp engine. By the way, the conversion stuff I mentioned is not really difficult, but the question I have is concerning plugging the hole in the side of the 14hp block where the oil fill tube is mounted. It's possible some of the 14hp blocks had it on the top of the block, but that is probably when they don't have any balance gears, and likely a later production engine. I'm certain guys have converted these engines before I just don't know what they use to plug the block. Something like a washer on the inside and outside with a screw thru the center and some type of sealer plug material in between them so nothing can leak by. I don't think it would even be noticeable once the S/G is mounted - you wouldn't see that side of the block - but you'd also have to make sure it doesn't conflict with the S/G mounting bracket.
On your speed up pulley for the 44 deck, I'm not sure I'd really do that. I see couple guys already indicated a 10hp can handle things pretty well, and that's true, especially a Hydro version like your 109. However, based on old discussions many people rated the hydrostatic drive as robbing 2hp from the drive line, and on this basis you're probably operating at about 8hp. If you convert to the speed up pulley I would suspect you may have to slow your tractor travel speed slightly to avoid bogging down the engine. I'm not saying this for certain but only that it may be necessary. The reason IH converted to the larger pulley was to slow the blades to comply with some Lawn Mower Industry Standards requirement, so it may be that the older style decks like 38 or 42 or even 48, operated with faster blade speeds, and the 10hp hydro tractors seem to handle them quite well except possibly with the 48in decks (I don't recall seeing any 10hp hydros with 48 decks but they would certainly fit). Just my feeling here but I'd save that pulley to use on the deck with your 1650.

Troy R - I believe the Cub Cadet Corporation factory was in Brownsville, TN if I recall correctly. The CCC headquarters was in Cleveland. I thought CCC serial tags usually said Cleveland but I suppose some could say Brownsville.

Well, guys, a quick pop in update.. The 109 is starting to come back together, but right now it just has to be in one piece. I won't worry about it right away if it doesn't run, since college is coming up fast. I'll worry about getting it right and running when I actually have time & money that I can devote to finishing the project and doing it right.. At least it won't rust anymore, and it is inside.

Speaking of college, my move-in date is the fifteenth, and classes start on the twentieth. Man, this is gonna be one crazy month for me.. As of this moment, I have no roommates, and I'm unsure if I like that or not.

Sorry for the above off-topic, guys. It's been on my mind a lot, lately. DO pray keep this Ohio boy in your prayers?

Thanks, -Charlie K.

Kirk Sharpe,
Cub Arama is held in the Fredericktown City Park. The park is a block or two from the town square. For more info check out the website of JP TRACTOR SALVAGE and click on their tab of Cub Arama.

<font color="ff0000"><font size="+1">Reposting from below, since somehow I screwed up and the last "paraghraph" made no sense whatsoever. I still don't know how I missed that, since I proofread it before I posted it.. oh well.</font></font>

Well, guys, a quick pop in update.. The 109 is starting to come back together, but right now it just has to be in one piece. I won't worry about it right away if it doesn't run, since college is coming up fast. I'll worry about getting it right and running when I actually have time & money that I can devote to finishing the project and doing it right.. At least it won't rust anymore, and it is inside.

Speaking of college, my move-in date is the fifteenth, and classes start on the twentieth. Man, this is gonna be one crazy month for me.. As of this moment, I have no roommates, and I'm unsure if I like that or not.

Sorry for the above off-topic, guys. It's been on my mind a lot, lately. Keep this Ohio boy in your prayers?

Thanks, -Charlie K.

Daniel G, Harry B and Dennis F-

I agree with all your information on the PTO. I think that the belt will make enough drag to stop the pulley and be able to get that slight gap between the fiber and the PTO. It did seem like when I was adjusting the rod, the PTO kept turning and the amount of drag did not really change when I was moving it with my fingers. So I will try this adjustment method.

Larry K-

I have been having the same hard start with my 149 when hot that you have had. Exactly the same thing where you have to choke it a little to start the hot engine. Mine is a fresh rebuild, so I don't think it is an engine or electrical issue since everything is new. I will take your suggestion and richen the idle adjustment screw and see what happens.

Well I was watching AMERICAN GUNS earlier and saw somthing that bothered me , if any of you guys watch it you probably know what I'm talking about . lol I like sootin guns,watching them blow stuff up is cool . I think they took it a lil to far this time, they shot & blew up a cub cadt original!! I couldnt beleive what I seen. It looked like it was in pretty good shape other then not having a motor in it. I've wanted an original for a while now and still havent got one yet and I just watched them shhot one up and added a lil explosion to it. What a waste! lol They could have picked up a broke down cheap murry or somthing! Just thought I would share that with you guys. What a bummer.

Latest posts

Back