Archive through July 28, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wshytle

displayname
Wayne Shytle
The kittens are growing like weeds. I also think they put some sort of stimulant in the food I'm giving them. They'll eat then chase each other for 30 minutes then "crash" for a couple of hours. That's the period I'm beginning to like more and more. I can see they're going to be something at night too. Barney already like laying on my legs and Millie likes it right beside my upper body. I've never been much on animals in bed (except an old lab bitch I had) but it might be nice this winter.

Graygirl is giving in just a bit every day it seems. She still stays outside all day but comes in regularly for her snacks. She hardly hisses any more either. Barney is infatuated with her every move but has learned to keep his distance.

Both kittens are lying by the front glass door watching cows now. It looks to be a big, big world out there. I've taken them out one at a time to introduce them to the outdoors again (born outside) and I think Millie might try and become an inside cat. Barney loves the outdoors because that's where Graygirl goes all of the time.

Wayne, the normal cycle for a kitty is the eat,play sleep,so guess your kids are normal..lol. They do grow so fast. I know you always had dogs, but switching to kitties in bed with you is nice, and they certainly aren't as big to move around when you need to move or get up. My girls move when I move, and get up when I get up, they never complain but look rather sleeply at times, but Hannah always sings us a lullaby when we all get snuggled back into bed.

I bet ya before long Graygirl will be playing tag with Barney ~She soooo wants to but giving into that would make her look like a sell out , like she likes her new rooomies or something, but I sense she's taken to the little ones already and would feel lost if they weren't around.

Anyways, glad to hear the trio is doing so well together

oh did you get Millie's nails clipped?
angel.gif

Yep, Graygirl played tag this morning with Barney; she gave him one of those machine gun paw slaps while hissing. It was funny in that he couldn't get the traction he needed on the wood floor to get away before she popped him several times.

Yesterday I let Barney venture out onto the front porch for the first time. I did it again this morning for a few minutes. Millie could care less about going outside. I remember taking Graygirl and Punch out as kittens but I also had three full grown labs at the time. They helped me look after the newbies.

Millie hasn't had the problems she was having or at least I haven't noticed her getting "stuck" with long nails. I need to take all three in for their flea stuff and will ask their opinion then on the nails. I've never been able to apply it on Graygirl so I'll just take all three in once a month. It's only a few miles away and they don't charge to help me.

Yesterday my neighbor informed me she accidentally ran over her dog Maggie. She's the 90% blind lab that got away from me last Christmas while dog sitting her. Anyway, she took her to the vet and got terrible service while waiting a total of 4 hours...1 1/2 in the truck with the a/c going because the place was so busy. They then came out and told her the x-ray machine was down. She didn't really learn anything about Maggies condition and brought her home. Her back left leg was hyperextended badly according to what little she did learn. Maggie wouldn't eat or drink and still wouldn't this morning. She has taken her to another vet hospital this morning about 30 minutes away and I haven't heard from her since she called to tell me that. I think there might be some internal bleeding. I do hope I'm wrong and that she is just a little shocked. I had to shove her pain pill and seizure meds down her throat when I went to see her yesterday. I'll keep it posted when I learn something. She is 10 years old and a real sweetheart. I even have some pics somewhere that I'll post eventually. I know Maggie isn't mine but I've known her and her brother Barkley since they were six week old fat belly pups with that wonderful "puppy breath".

A quick story about ole Barkley...My neighbor had the dogs out in the back of her pick up doing a trash run and a trip to the feed store. When she got home Barkley wasn't in the truck...only Maggie and Cooper (a 5 year old chocolate bitch). She went looking as I did but found nothing. A little over a week later still no Barkley so I told her to tie one of her perfumed shirts to the truck and drag it through the country over a few of the roads she traveled that day and then to her home. The next morning Barkley was lying at the gate to the pen with the other two just inside glad to see him. He had lost quite a bit of weight but was fine.

Well, I just got an update on Miss Maggie. She has been seen as she should have with lots of care and little wasted time. They took something like 27 x-rays and did find a clean break (that's what I'm told). They didn't find any sign of internal bleeding and will keep her over night tonight for more tests and observation.

242334.jpg

242335.jpg

Since she started having seizures and is on phenabarbatol (sp) she can do some serious sleeping. This was last Christmas right before she ran away (more like walked being blind) and took two days avoiding my search and showing up at her house 1/2 mile away. There's a bunch of woods between here and there.

I know the first word in the title of this thread is cats and I got off track talking about Maggie. For that I apologize.

I just wanted to let it be known I just learned Maggie will probably be put down in the early morning. She hasn't eaten or drank a thing all day. She also hasn't had any accidents which they were hoping for. The doctors (2) seem to agree there are some severed nerves in her spine and her quality of life will never be the same or even close. I also learned it was my neighbors daughter that was actually driving the car. She and her children have been up visiting all week and was scheduled to return home today. The hospital is keeping Maggie comfortable with pain meds and my neighbor plans to go get her tomorrow morning early. This is an emergency hospital that is open all weekend and closes early Monday am.

wayne, my friend, I was so sad to hear of Maggie's accident and then to come in this morning and to read that she's being put down this morning really tears at my heart strings. No one wants to hear that. Its so tragic and I can only imagine how the daughter feels,but hopefully she will ease through those emotions with time, and it wasn't HER fault, its just that these tragedy's happen. Such is life, and it so sucks at times. I'll being holding all in my heart this morning and with the coming days, as all walk through the loss and grieving process ~ big hugs to you guy.!

Oh and I remember well the turmoil and worry you went through when babysitting Miss Maggie last winter and she went missing and with her being blind, you were worried beyond worried. Sure was a huge relief when she showed up at home. Amazing, how she must have followed the scent back.!!

That was a cute story about Barkley, and glad it had a good ending. I wasn't ready to read another sad report.

Haha on Graygirl and Barney playing tag! She has no mercy, huh? I don't know if you would have to have their nails clipped once a month. If you have scrathing posts, that helps to keep the nails worn down a little and it helps shed the outer part of their nail, can't remember what that is called. duh.

I can in no fashion what so ever do Hannahs nails and they are razor sharp, but not that long. With Fancy,Sometimes we breeze through it, other times, its like pulling teeth and he will clamp up his little paws ( fists) so tight, I can't do a thing with him. Stinker is really the only one that doesn't cause a fuss with anything. Even the brush gets Hannah, Tootsie and Annie running for the hills. Fancy is always first in line, well if there were a line for brushing and of course, Stinker is a happy participant. I can surprise Hannah by catching a few passes when she's on the kitchen counter after she says bye bye to her daddy in the morning.

Take care Wayne and huggies to your furkids

angel.gif

Wayne,

Hate to hear the sad news. I had to do the same thing with my dog a couple of years ago. She had congestive heart failure. We had her for around 17-18 years. The pain eases somewhat with time.

Cathleen,

Sparky (the ferral, now inside cat) always hates having his nails clipped. The only way we (wife and I) can do it is; I wrap a large bath towel around him and hold him down on the bed for all I'm worth while she does the clipping. The wife takes her thumb and presses against the bottom center of his paw which spreads out the toes and reveals the claws. We did this last night and he did not throw quite a fit like he did the first time. Don't get me wrong, it's still about all I can do to hold him, but he is getting a little better about not dragging me across the bed!

Thanks for all of the kind words for Miss Maggie. I feel she is without pain and has 20/20 vision once again.

Now...back on track.

Graygirl did good this morning and brought me a gift. Barney is venturing out a bit now so I introduced him to this large field rat. After a sniff or two he was done.

242472.jpg

That Graygirl is one lean, mean, hunting machine. She's having a bit of breakfast now.

Marty-

Did you make the grass bowl or is that something you just buy? Every time Barney goes out he hits the salad (grass) right away. I brought some in for Millie and she loves it.

YICKS Wayne, that field rat is disgusting, Yeppers she is one mean hunting machine. I bet she was sooooo proud, showing off her prize catch to little Barney.!! lol

angel.gif

Last night, Monday July 30th at 9:15pm the precious matriarch of our family, furkid Stinker passed away. She was 12 years old. Marlin and I are totally devastated as you can imagine. It came as a complete shock. Stinker has been ill for the past 3 + months but had been doing ok and wasn't in pain. The past week though, I knew her time was growing closer. yet when I went to go to bed last night, I found her on the floor of my bedroom, paralyzed and in so much pain. I called out for Marlin , and I tried ever so gently to scoop her up in a towel and Marlin sat in the rocker and held her, and she started having little seizures. I called our " Emergency " Vet, Dr. Kim and she met us an hour later at her clinic and assisted Stinker in crossing over. We wanted to relieve her of her pain and we didnt know if her passage would be quick or go through the night, and we only wanted to let her pass peacefully..

Some months back Stinker started losing weight, and I took into the vet Dr. Ken and he ran multiple tests, and all we could determine from all of that was that her white count was out of control, so she had some kind of infection going on in her body, yet all her organs were working and she didnt have any of the normal feline diseases. The doc thought she might have tumors and I felt that was the case. In any case, Stinker and I made a few trips to the vet for her to get fluids and antibiotic shots and then she was doing pretty well. This past week though, I could tell she was beginning the downward path and I was wondering when should I call and make that fatefull call to the vet. She was still eating well and her innards were working and she was mobile, so we were holding out, and I would talk to Stinker and she would give me this look as though, no its not time..not yet... not yet. Yesterday though, I had this feeling in my heart....... then I realized she wanted to pass at home be in her daddys arms .

So, now, we and the furkids are all mourning. Hannah and I didnt sleep all night. Poor Hannah was devastated. She was in the bedroom with her sissy ( not biological, but still sisters, ya know?) as all this took place and last night during the long hours after, she was missing her sister in bed, as I was too, as Stinker always snuggled up into my belly area to sleep or she would come up higher and snuggle between Hannah and I. Hannah always lays on a pillow beside me. I couldnt sleep without my sweet girl curled up with me. Hannah laid in bed this morning and wouldnt get up. I finially coaxed her out of bed and we tried to do our morning rituals as best we could. I held her up to the kitchen door window as usually daddy does in the morning and her and I talked..she did this deep throated troubled talking back to me. I just checked on Hannah and she was hiding under a chair on the 3 season porch, poor little one. I convinced her to come out. She's always been the super sensitive one, so the coming days will be very intense with helping her through her loss.

I had gotten the 3 season porch cleaned up all because of Stinker. I wanted what ever time she had left enjoying the scenery outside since she couldnt go outside, and she did indeed enjoy the last weeks and her last day sitting looking at the beauty outside..

STINKER

242477.jpg

so to you My preciouslittle Stinker, who would wake me up during the middle of the night to give me kitty kisses on the face just because and who was the vigilent and kind "big sissy" ,who had a million different expressions, we shall miss you sweet girl...rest in peace. You are with you big sissy Baby Girl now..enjoy the beauty that is..and one day soon, in the blink of an eye, we shall be with you..

Love Mommy and Daddy..

here's a pic of Stinker and Hannah

242478.jpg

Cathleen, Marlin, so sorry to hear about Stinker. I've been through that with several of my cats, dogs and horses in the past. It never gets any easier.
sad.gif

Cathleen,Marlin sorry to here about stinker.

Wayne, that thing looks pretty big, is that a typical size??

Marty. humm, wondering, I always press on the top of the paws when clipping nails, so thinking I am doing it upside down? that might be my trouble..hahaha..will try under the pad instead and see how that does.! I wish I could clip Hannahs nails, but I know wrapping her up in a towel would only add to her stress, she is SO sensitive.! Annie likes you're going to kill her, no matter what you do to her.

Thanks Kraig, Jeff and Frank. Yeah, it doesnt get any easy, no matter how many furkids you lose.

Marlin just called and is on his way home ( taking off early from work) now comes the hard part, putting her to rest... We'll place her next to Baby Girl

talk to you all later..

Angel, Marlin-

So sorry to hear of Stinkers passing...and only twelve years old. Like Kraig said, it never gets easier.

Jeff-

That was an adult for sure. I guess it weighed a pound and was very solid. I took it "off" so Graygirl wouldn't eat it. She's like Mikey...she'll eat anything. I've seen her eat complete lizards, tail and all. One day she came up in the front yard with half of a full grown squirrel in her mouth. I'll never know what happened to the other half but we all have a good idea.

Cathleen,

Sorry to hear about Stinker. Laying them to rest is the hardest part.

Sparky does not like getting the nails clipped. He cries, screams, and claws the entire time, but soon gets over it. Glad we only have to do it occasionally.

Wayne,

The bowl was the wifes! Don't tell her. I don't like food in plastic. It gives the food a funny taste. I prefer glass for any type of food or drink. Try drinking and eating only out of glass for about a week and then try something in plastic, it tastes horrible. Anyway, the grass was purchased at a local store. It is called "Cosmic Kittyherbs". Barley, oats and wheat are the main ingredients.

Hmmm..... stinker and Marlin have matching hair colors

Latest posts

Back