• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 26, 2016

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
Here's a bigger version of Joshua's photo:

307329.jpg

Attachments

• 307329.jpg
    307329.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 188
  • 307329.jpg
    307329.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 139
Chris P., regarding the starter pulley, unfortunately, more than likely the crank shaft is going to be damaged as well. if you're lucky you might be able to get away with a longer piece of keystock. Here's a link to some discussion on dealing with a damaged crank key slot.

Chris, I bought a 124 with the pulley flopping around (crankshaft was ok) & here's what I did to tighten it up. Bought 2 of those way overpriced 2-piece locking collars, 1/2" thick w/1" bore & 1/4" keyway. Locked one down @ back of the crank w/ 2" or so of key stock. Put pulley on & then 2nd collar, all on the same key stock. Place a large socket over the crankshaft & use a pry bar to force everything back & tight together while tightening the outer locking collar. Works great! Oh, forgot to mention....I don't use the pto so it's removed. This fix probably won't work with one....I don't know.

David

Thanks Kraig!
ihrotate.gif

Attachments

• ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 145
Harry
I thought the thick gasket between carb and block was to keep the gas from boiling in the carb bowl and causing vapor lock on QLs. I have no written proof of that though. Maybe someone will chime in yet.

Joshua,

You may need to change you picture in your Profile

greenthumb.gif

Bill

Attachments

• greenthumb.gif
    greenthumb.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 135
  • greenthumb.gif
    greenthumb.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 143
By Bill James (Bjames) on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 06:56 pm:

"I just want to see the facts correct.
You couldn't pay me to take over this forum, who would buy it?"

I would if I had any money but I don't ,,At least Charlie keeps us going

IMHO your comment was rude

Josh S -

Hey that pic is truly a moment captured in time. It reminds me of a pic my wife snapped of my son when he was about 3 years old walking on the beach holding my dad's hand. Back then we had to wait for film to be developed but when we saw it for the first time it was a special moment for us, very similar to your Super <font size="+2">SUPER</font> CooL pic

Anyway momma had my son/dad pic blown up to an 8x10 and bought a Slightly oversized frame and added a border w/ caption, "a walk to remember". At the time we lived in a small village and when the yearly town festival rolled around she entered it in the "ART" contest and the framed photo won first place! Photography is considered by many a form of art work and I'd say the moment you captured is not only priceless but also a Blue Ribbon Winner!!!!!

Very Excellent Pic,,,,

Thanks Kraig for making that larger for us old timers!
pcwhack.gif
thumbsup.gif

ihrotate.gif

Attachments

• thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 143
  • pcwhack.gif
    pcwhack.gif
    17.9 KB · Views: 153
  • ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 137
Looking good Josh and Judge,you seem to have a lot of grass to cut.

Jason,I past the 300th mark a few months ago.Thanks!

Hairy Harry,
correct police.gif
I had a Jacobson that had a K341 in it,the same motor as a QL.had the same muffler shields and air cleaner and it had the carb spacer also,sometimes you gotta think outside the box,not sure if it is the right answer but it is sumptin' to think about.

Josh S -- What a great pic! Thanks for sharing
happy.gif

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 137
Lew, John, Jerry - if you add up all the things you each mention it does begin to make sense and very likely the reason for the thick gasket. I recall now how the QL (actually the Kohler "AQS") air cleaner was recessed at the back and partially fit over the carb (basically covered it up). This certainly doesn't allow for much air flow around the carb itself - but on the other hand the air cleaner had that rubber tube connecting it to a hole in the flywheel shroud forcing air, oops, allowing fan air to be blown into the carb, which should provide some cooling effect. However, I suspect it's not as cool as the old style exposed carbs - and maybe, just maybe, the gasket spacer kept the gas from boiling (credit to Jerry). So all of you get some credit here for why the gasket is thick. The question I still have tho is - what effect it has on engine performance, and would it actually improve performance on the older style exposed carbs?

Bill - I'm not sure I understand what you're saying about the brake pedal rubber pad on your 107. Does it have the cutout? It doesn't need it because of the spacer build up under the flat metal plate. And even if the metal plate was flat against the bent steel arm, the cutout would not be wide enough. Your bent steel arm has the twist at the right angle so the cutout in the pad would have to be the width of the steel. If you have the cutout in your pad it must have been replaced with the newer version (be on the look out for the Correct Police). If you don't have the cutout try and get us a pic of the side next to the tractor frame as best your can. I know you're a contortionist.

Someone out there must have a 1x6/7 with the rubber pad that does not have the cutout. Don't go peeling yours off to see but get us a pic if you can of the side towards the tractor frame. (If you peel your pad off chances are the rubber will tear and you'll need a new pad - and they ain't got'm withOUT the cutout - unless as Steve says, someone has the truck pads around).

Jason Wiggens,

I'm confused by your comment:

"Great big IH GREEN thumbs up!"

That's the second time you've mentioned Green here and the last one got poofed.

You do realize that IH Cubs are Yellow and White and sometimes Red... Right?

Anyone wake up on the "defrauded" side of the bed this morning?
pcwhack.gif
1a_violin.gif
Nothing changes,.......

Hydro Harry, The flywheel on a Quiet Line sure does throw out some good air circulation! This was one of the many improvements over the past model line up. Had IH got the QL engine cradle "right" the first time, ( cradle mod, cast iron deep sump oil pan), perhaps the design would have carried over to the 82 Series?

Just like to comment on the wonderful and informative information on the 82 Series.

Attachments

• 1a_violin.gif
    1a_violin.gif
    11.5 KB · Views: 155
  • pcwhack.gif
    pcwhack.gif
    17.9 KB · Views: 160
Panther Nic -

307356.jpg
greenthumb.gif

I'm not going no where's near that "other" green you mentioned,

asthanos.gif

explotar2jr.gif

ihrotate.gif

Attachments

• ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 136
  • explotar2jr.gif
    explotar2jr.gif
    22 KB · Views: 148
  • asthanos.gif
    asthanos.gif
    5 KB · Views: 153
  • greenthumb.gif
    greenthumb.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 307356.jpg
    307356.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 149
  • greenthumb.gif
    greenthumb.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 307356.jpg
    307356.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 142
Hydro,

Don't know what I was thinking.

Mine is as it should be, no cutout. I had to go back and read the prior postings. I was thinking the 107 had the same as the 109.

I think I read it right, but remember it wrong.

1a_scratchhead.gif

Even I have to wonder about my posts sometimes.

Bill

Attachments

• 1a_scratchhead.gif
    1a_scratchhead.gif
    774 bytes · Views: 158
Since we're talking about the carb gasket and spacing I have another question.

What is with the large round metal spacer between the breather and the carb on QLs? I've seen them on some but not all. The 1200 I'm working on didn't have it but it had a round paper gasket.

Just have to chime in on the "thick" carburetor gasket issue - this part is known as a thermal isolator. It functions as an insulator to the carburetor body, hindering heat transfer, thereby inhibiting vapor lock in hot weather. The slight additional length added to the inlet tract has no effect on performance.

Chris:
I had the same problem with my pulley flopping around and tried to use a longer key because the slot in the crank was also damaged. I had tried a longer key and replaced the pulley twice before, so I knew this is not working. I did not want to replace the crank so I purchased a longer key (again) and I spot welded the key in place. I then ground down the excess material so the new pulley would fit. I only put in two small spot welds close to the end, so if I had to remove it I could grind off the spot weld and still remove the key.
I am thinking that this should work as the key is now solid. If not I will try something else.
Earl

John - I wasn't trying to imply the Kohler AQS engine flywheel doesn't provide improved air flow. I had started to say "forced air flow" and changed it because I didn't want anyone to think the AQS was some type of turbo or super charged engine.

Now, you also go on to mix up a Kohler engine improvement with the IH tractor improvements. Since I didn't ever get into the 82 series I'm not quite following your info. I do know the 82 series continued with side panel enclosures which started with the QL series. Most 82 series used twin cylinder engines and I don't know how the air flow was set up. I know later on CCC used a single cylinder Kohler again in some models (think 1282) but I don't know if that was an AQS style Kohler K or if the Magnum was in place at that time or even how the air flow was set up on a Magnum single.

David Kirk - boy am I glad you chimed in. Always great to hear from an extremely knowledgeable well qualified expert. Thanks for providing that info. Looks like Jerry wins the T-shirt and Hat prize (pics only), while Lew, John and others come in 2nd place (some might call last place).

Jason - well now it looks like the "thick carb gasket" issue is settled. As you can see David Kirk chimed in with some very good definitive info. And speaking of David Kirk, if you haven't yet visited his web site suggest you do. He's a sponsor and linked at the colorful boxes at the top of the pages under Kirk Engines.

Wayne - I'm scratching my head a little based on your last question. You said: "What is with the large round metal spacer between the breather and the carb on QLs?". I've been thinking and thinking, and finally decided you must mean "air cleaner" instead of breather.

If you mean air cleaner I think what you discovered is the thick metal spacer (about 1/16") that's supposed to be tack welded onto the air cleaner where it mounts to the carb. I've seen a lot of these where the tacks have come loose and someone moves it to the inside of the air cleaner - so the air cleaner itself gets squished against the carb and the metal plate backs it up. I think technically there is still supposed to be a paper gasket between the carb and the air cleaner to provide a loose seal.
You know pics are always worth 1000 words. If what I'm describing isn't what you were referring to then pics would really help.

Bill - geez I'm glad to hear you've got the correct original rubber brake pedal foot pad. Any chance you could get another pic that might help us clearly see there is no cutout? Hey wouldn't it be neat if Charlie actually had the original no-cutout replacements?

Latest posts

Back