• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 21, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
William P.
Check the connections/plug on the PTO switch, everything goes through it.
Those dang switches cause more problems than they are worth, LOL

I took a thermometer with me to work tonight. This was taken on the fifth floor of our power plant. Too stinking hot. Can't get any cub time lately, my yard is dead. The weeds are growing great in the garden though. Look close at the numbers: 151 degrees
227787.jpg

Question for those with long experience: Which mower deck is most effective? Or are some decks better at some jobs than others?

Why I want to know: I've got three different decks for two different tractors, both wide frames. One deck is a 42" 3-spindle '71-'74 vintage "Cast Piece in the middle" style deck:

227791.gif

And a 50" deck which is labeled "50A" with "International Harvester" prominently displayed on the tag:

227792.gif

I also have a 44" deck of the same vintage as the 50A deck above. It also came without front "Patio" wheels originally, but a previou owner added them, along with sturdy re-inforcement extending from each wheel all the way to the front center rollers.

Since it costs so much money to really get these decks up-to-snuff, I'm wondering which ones I should sink the money into.

Frankly, the super-long center blade on the 42" mower has me worried.

None of the decks seem particularly suited to mulching or bagging.

But on the other hand they are all very rugged, especially the 44" deck that has seen some judicious and well-executed mods by a previous owner.

I'm just curious if others have tried these decks out and can offer their opinions as to their relative effectiveness.

Any and all responses welcomed.
smile.gif

"Stay off the 5th floor" or get the bacon and eggs ready !!

<font size="-2">Weird typing in the message box and seeing that green Ollicub right above it..</font>

Jeremiah; I have used the 42, 38, 48, and 44 inch deck. I personally prefer the 44 over all other decks. I use a speed up pulley and a spring assist, and coat the underside of the deck.

JEREMIAH - I agree with LUTHER, either the 44 or 50 inch deck. I've never used the 42 in deck but I've been over thousands of acres with the 38" variation. The center blade on a 38" and 42" are the same, yes, it's long but almost impossible to bend. The little short blades on the ends have to spin faster to cut decent and the pulley ratios makes them pull harder IMO.

NONE of IH's decks will move clippings fast enough to fill a bagger. If it was me I'd get an Agri-Fab lawn vac attachment http://www.agri-fab.com/type/vacs.aspx and run it on your 44 inch deck. Or a lawn sweeper works good, but speaking from experience, it gets hard on the back emptying a sweeper all the time. I had a little 32 inch Parker years ago, did a great job of cleaning, but in the fall with leaf pickup duty sometimes I could only go fifty feet and it'd be full. Mulching them helped a lot.

Jeremiah, If you have bricks or small stumps sticking up use the cast end deck till you get the debri ground down then switch to the 44.

Hey guys i have found the rear brackets to a IH windbreaker on a 102.
Thanks, Troy

Hey guys Troy again,
i am moving forward on my 147 for the winter. i have just received an electric lift the only problem is that i am missing the bushing on the bottom of the male end of the worm gear can any body tell me what it looks like.
thanks Troy

Charlie - That looks just like the one that Cub Cadet Specialties sells ...

Here's how I have been enjoying the heat. I finished welding a while ago and will prime it tomorrow. I have needed this for a while to move trailers around in close quarters. This one is for a wf. I have a couple of extra mule drives so I figured this was a god way to use one. It was very rusty but I "cooked" it in electrolysis for two days and it cleaned up nicely.

227841.jpg

I haven't decided whether to paint it white or yellow but I'm leaning toward yellow. If anyone sees any weaknesses feel free to let me know. I don't plan on putting a lot of weight on it but one never knows. Most trailers will be empty anyway.

Charlie - How much you charging Wayne for breaking the forum ???

Seems a little to hot and humid for people to go out and get much cub time. I thinks I need to put AC in garage. Naw, it won't last long around here.

MELODY - SON & I have discussed putting "Central Air" In the shops hundreds of times, both the kind which blows cool air and the kind that runs high pressure air all around any place we might need it.

But for now we make do with a couple fans for the one and rubber hose for the other.

My shop is insulated good enough that if I can get it cool and keep it closed up it'll stay cool. But once the thermometer on the wall says 85 degrees I head to the house.

Regarding the deck comparison discussion: Which type is preferable? I have a nice 108 but with the newer 44 deck with the off set center spindle and an 42 older deck with the center spindle and exposed belts. I need to decide which one to sell. Both are like new. I prefer the older type. Based on your experience which one would you go for? I know the tractor originally came with the older deck and frankly I like it better than the newer one, but I want to keep the best one.

Latest posts

Back